Good PS2 games?

Wazoo how is the GC catching up if in the course of this whole year it hasn't outsold the xbox but maybe once?

here is the chart you sited from the forum

i_want_my_npd.gif

Legion said:
Wazoo how is the GC catching up if in the course of this whole year it hasn't outsold the xbox but maybe once?

here is the chart you sited from the forum

I was talking from a monthly point of view. The overall gap is not going down, and will not until the GC starts to outsell the xbox (it will this christmas or never).

I was talking from a monthly point of view. The overall gap is not going down, and will not until the GC starts to outsell the xbox (it will this christmas or never).

Correct infact the gap is increasing. Christmas will be interesting. To my knowledge the Xbox started this year already with a 200,000 - 300,000 unit lead over the GC. This year has done nothing more so far then to help futher the distance between the two.

bbot said:
Before I decided to get an Xbox, I was planning on getting a PS2. Originally I would have gotten Gran Turismo 3 and Final Fantasy 10, but because a saleperson suggested Project Gotham Racing had better graphics than Gran Turismo 3, I got an Xbox instead.

If you are a racing fan and consider getting a PS2 I highly recommend the GT Force Feedback Wheel from Logitech + GT3. This combination is keeping me busy for over a year now so for me it was a good investment.

There is also a bunch of rally games (WRC!) that make good use of the FF effects. I'm also anticipating Colin 3,and you should probably check out F355 if your in for a real challenge ( and if you didn't already got the Dreamcast version).

As you are already an Xbox owner I hope you own rallisport! :)

marconelly's list of games looks pretty complete, but always try to play games you plan to buy yourself, because tastes are just so different that it's often hard to give good advise.

As for me, I always need every gaming platform just for the variety, but I do realise that only few people can afford this so I'm a bad adviser on platform decisions (get em all!! :D ).

Have fun

I would also highly recommend Burnout 2 to fans of racing genre. The game is just incredibly adrenaline-rush inducing, and is probably the best looking arcade racer ever made.

No one said they were worlds apart Teasy you are exaggerating. The fact remains Morrowind did outsell ED. This statement was made in reference to some of the nonsense on fatbabies.com. My point rests.

So what was your point though? That one particular game (a game that had been unkown to many until release) sold 22% less in its release month then a totally different game (a gain that has already gotten acclaim on the PC)? Unless of course someone on FatBabies said that ED sold more in its first month then Morrowind.. in which case fine.

How do i know the Xbox is still ahead of the GC? I am sure we would have heard some interesting propaganda around the net if said information was released Teasy. Since you have no knowledge to the contrary there is no need to insinuate anything.

I'm not insinuating anything, I was asking how you knew that GameCube was "far behind" XBox in the U.S.

It would be rather ridiculous Teasy to assume that the GC would spontaneous sell several hundred thousand more units permonth then the xbox.

I haven't seen hardware console sales for many months, since June AFAIR, so of course GameCube could have caught up in that time.

I do believe we saw last months hardware sales that had the xbox selling around 5,000 - 10,000 more units the GC.

I didn't see those, but then there's so many sales numbers from Japan, Europe, and even sometimes single countries in Europe on this forum that its hard to remember were the sales were from.

Teasy logic ought to dictate to you that amazing hardware sales would have been reported to the media. Likewise Teasy Japan isn't everything either.

No its not, but it has to be taken into account.

To my knowledge a a definative hardware sales chart hasn't been released in europe for quite some time now. The US is quite different. I do recall seeming August's sales charts here in these forums. What you are suggesting is that in a matter of two months (july and september) that the GC has suddenly dwarfed the xbox in sales? The most recent sales chart i have seen here from the US i believe was in August.

Well ok then you've seen sales I haven't seen, as I said I haven't seen U.S sales in ages, which is why I asked if you could show me the sales numbers.

To my knowledge it is more common place to see a game sell better on the Xbox.

Maybe, maybe not.

The reason it is so chidlish is that you especially come across as doing all that is in your power to find something you don't like about the xbox. As an objective gamer can you honestly say that anthing you see on the cube is really all that much better than anything on the PS2 or xbox?

GameCube's is more to my tastes yes, it has all sorts of games and I buy all sorts of games. But the games it has exclusively are some of the games I just must have, Mario, Zelda ect.

Anyway the point you are missing is that it does not matter if XBox has games that I think I would like, or if the PS2 has them. That would only matter if I did not have games to buy on GameCube that I think I'd like and I had allot of money to spend on more then one console. Well I already have games I like on the GameCube, and I have games already released that I want but can't afford yet. Also there's another 4-5 games being release next month and I want every one of them, some I simply have to have and some I just think I'd like. I will not pay for another system to get more games I just may like when I already have games to play and games to buy on my GameCube, I am not made of money. The only thing that could possibly get me to buy another console soon would be an exclusive game that I simply have to have on a £99 or under system. PS2 already has that now (although I'm hoping that will change soon as PES is being developed for GameCube) but is still too expensive. XBox does not have that, why would I get an XBox if it does not offer something I have to have? Sorry, you can think its childish all you like, but buying a console for basically no reason is very childish, especially when I simply cannot afford it.

Teasy systems do go down in price and in time the same will be true with the xbox. I can't imagine that after all the years the xbox will be out you will still find some way not to pruchase one.

Read what I said:

As for XBox, well there's nothing on XBox that interests me so I doubt I'll get one of them for ages, if ever.

I said I cannot see myself getting a XBox for quite a while, and it may be that I never buy one if it never has something that I must have exclusively and is cheap at the same time.

What more do you want? Do you want me to say "I see no reason to buy an XBox now, even though it already has allot of good games, because it has nothing I have to own and its too expensive. But I'm just going to assume it will have something I simply have to own in the future and buy it anyway."

There is no reason for me to assume XBox will have anything I have to own, Halo is a brilliant game, but I don't feel I have to own it. It takes a certain sort of game for me to want to own that much, Mario is that type, so is Zelda, extremely good Football games fall into that catagory, how do I know XBox will ever have any of those sort of games?

Well, as you can see from the chart GameCube is getting closer to XBox every month, he did not say that currently its narrowing the gap of total U.S sales. He was saying that its narrowing the gap of monthly sales, and with Mario, SFA and Metroid Prime out now/soon that should push GameCube ahead. And for those saying that Mario is not selling systems, well, I'm not sure. lets just wait. After all Mario has not had a chance to really effect the GameCube sales numbers we've seen, it was released only 6 days before the end of August.

bbot,

what kind of game do you like ? or you just go for the best graphics sort of thing ?

People who quote topics from the Fatbabies forum = 0 credibility.

Why do people put any stock in Fatbabies what so ever? They're the video game equivalent of The Enquirer.

Does anyone else see the irony of someone who doesn't know enough to pick good games for themselves worrying about software support for their chosen system. ;)

Hint to bbot: Go to TeamXbox.com and hang out there. They will convince you that all Xbox games are great and then you won't need a new system. :)

So what was your point though? That one particular game (a game that had been unkown to many until release) sold 22% less in its release month then a totally different game (a gain that has already gotten acclaim on the PC)? Unless of course someone on FatBabies said that ED sold more in its first month then Morrowind.. in which case fine.

The statement one of them made was something akin to "it was a game that would kill the xbox." My answer to the was "No it wasn't." You are seriously trying to make more out of this.

I'm not insinuating anything, I was asking how you knew that GameCube was "far behind" XBox in the U.S.

of course you were. I really don't feel the need to repeat myself here.

I haven't seen hardware console sales for many months, since June AFAIR, so of course GameCube could have caught up in that time.

Do i really need to go into this again with you? Do we really need to entertain something so ludicrous as the GC sold something like 200,000 more units then the xbox in for two seperate months? Do you think we wouldn't have heard this? Not to mention the fact Wazoo already present you with some information.

I didn't see those, but then there's so many sales numbers from Japan, Europe, and even sometimes single countries in Europe on this forum that its hard to remember were the sales were from.

Those sales where clearly represented on that graph wazoo showed us.

No its not, but it has to be taken into account.

No you haven't of you wouldn't have mentioned it.

Well ok then you've seen sales I haven't seen, as I said I haven't seen U.S sales in ages, which is why I asked if you could show me the sales numbers.

Wazoo showed us a chart above. Again Teasy let us not entertain the ludicrous.

Maybe, maybe not.

Lets look this up shall we?

GameCube's is more to my tastes yes, it has all sorts of games and I buy all sorts of games. But the games it has exclusively are some of the games I just must have, Mario, Zelda ect.

You are highly predictable Teasy. At least you should broaden you horizons.

Anyway the point you are missing is that it does not matter if XBox has games that I think I would like, or if the PS2 has them. That would only matter if I did not have games to buy on GameCube that I think I'd like and I had allot of money to spend on more then one console.

To say that a system throughout its entire life span won't have games you will like to me is absurd. In your mind i am sure you have justified such nonsense.

Well I already have games I like on the GameCube, and I have games already released that I want but can't afford yet. Also there's another 4-5 games being release next month and I want every one of them, some I simply have to have and some I just think I'd like. I will not pay for another system to get more games I just may like when I already have games to play and games to buy on my GameCube, I am not made of money.

Did anyone say you have to buy a new system now? No. What i did say however was systems do go down in price. I can't believe that when said eventuality comes to pass you'd still avoid picking the xbox up. Even then you could pick up a used xbox for anywhere around 50% to 66% of wholesale price. That doesn't sound half bad.

The only thing that could possibly get me to buy another console soon would be an exclusive game that I simply have to have on a £99 or under system. PS2 already has that now (although I'm hoping that will change soon as PES is being developed for GameCube) but is still too expensive. XBox does not have that, why would I get an XBox if it does not offer something I have to have? Sorry, you can think its childish all you like, but buying a console for basically no reason is very childish, especially when I simply cannot afford it.

I imagine such a price drop will eventually occur. It always does. No one said you have to pick up a system right now.

I said I cannot see myself getting a XBox for quite a while, and it may be that I never buy one if it never has something that I must have exclusively and is cheap at the same time.

You didn't bother to read what i said. It is clear a system will go down in price. To say that system won't ever have a game you will like is a bit ridiculous.

What more do you want? Do you want me to say "I see no reason to buy an XBox now, even though it already has allot of good games, because it has nothing I have to own and its too expensive. But I'm just going to assume it will have something I simply have to own in the future and buy it anyway."

A bit more maturity out of you would be nice Teasy. No one said for you to assume. I highly doubt you are exposing yourself to xbox titles anyway. Your video gaming interest seems terribly limited.

There is no reason for me to assume XBox will have anything I have to own, Halo is a brilliant game, but I don't feel I have to own it. It takes a certain sort of game for me to want to own that much, Mario is that type, so is Zelda, extremely good Football games fall into that catagory, how do I know XBox will ever have any of those sort of games?

I almost feel as though you are trying to convince yourself more so than me.

Mr. Angry Pants said:
People who quote topics from the Fatbabies forum = 0 credibility.

Why do people put any stock in Fatbabies what so ever? They're the video game equivalent of The Enquirer.

I second that.

Well, as you can see from the chart GameCube is getting closer to XBox every month,

If you follow the trend it grows closer and then farther apart.

he did not say that currently its narrowing the gap of total U.S sales. He was saying that its narrowing the gap of monthly sales, and with Mario, SFA and Metroid Prime out now/soon that should push GameCube ahead.

This sound much like guess work to me. Wouldn't it be a shock to see that SFA and Mario really haven't helped the GC? During the holiday season we will see the reason of numerous xbox titles that have relatively big names. Honestly i think the xbox will hold its own against the GC. Also if you notice the trend everytime the GC receives a boost in sales after time the affect of whatever helped it wheres off and the sales reside.

And for those saying that Mario is not selling systems, well, I'm not sure. lets just wait. After all Mario has not had a chance to really effect the GameCube sales numbers we've seen, it was released only 6 days before the end of August.

I agree the information will be interesting.

Man I looked at that chart and saw both (XB and GC) relativly close to one another in month to month sales. However, XB killed GCN in Jan (due mainly to NOA self inflicted supply problems). But the GCN barely pulled ahead in April. If your looking at the chart, when one system sees a decline the other does and vice versa with inclines on a given month. Jan. Feb. and May were the three months that XB 'really' beat the GC soundly. We know one big reason (supply shortages) Jan and Feb were in XB favor but I was trying to think what big game(s) came out on XB in May for it to sale so much better than GC.

Starting with June, July and Aug, you can clearly see the GC 'lessening' the gap the last three months in a row Legion. By looking at the chart it's safe to say that September will see the GC pull ahead of the XB. Giving it it's first month since April to 'outsell' the XB. But we'll see. Does anyone know when the SMS GCN bundles and the Platinum GCN's go on sale in the US? Trst me if those two deals alone dont move more GCN's than nothing will. And I think the XB DVD pack in bundle will be a smart move for MS.

It just has to make MS and NOA really peeved to see the PS2 just kicking thier collective asses. It's just crazy to see that inferior piece of technology selling more than 2X and 3X as GCN and XB put together. But oh it's *sigh* because of the games man. MS has to be scratching thier heads as well..the GCN has really done a descent job of keeping up with the XB in the US, despite MS advertising 2X that of GC until present. Up until SMS and SFA, NOA has done a piss poor job of promoting the GCN in 2002. Absolutely zero print ads (sans Capcom's RE-make early this year). Very little promotions. Zero commercials compared to Xbox. Hell every time I turn on the TV I see XB logos. MS even sponsors BMX and Motocross events. I've seen little 'XB' instant replays for sporting events. Banners behind anouncers at Xtreem sports events. I've seen XB commercials during 'daytime' TV. MS has done agreat job with what they've had until now..yet the lil ole Cube has hung in there.

Now NOA decides to FINALLY promote the Cube with very good commercials for Animal Crossing, SFA and SMS to start things off. They've recently announced the Cube Clubs to start up again. They've uped thier advertising budget to $145,000,000 for the Christmas season alone. And *gasp* they even say they are gonna run some print ads..whooa!

It'll be interesting to discuss the charts again after December. This Christmas season will be big for all of the competitors. I'd give anything to see XB and GCN close the gap between them and PS2.

The statement one of them made was something akin to "it was a game that would kill the xbox." My answer to the was "No it wasn't." You are seriously trying to make more out of this.

No I'm not, I was just trying to find out why ED was even relivant here. Now I know, of course I agree it was never going to kill the XBox, only a loonatic would have expected that.

of course you were. I really don't feel the need to repeat myself here.

I was not insinuated anything, I just said that at that time I had not seen U.S hardware sales for a long time and so I could not be sure that GameCube has not caught up. Which is why I asked for sales numbers, and got them from Wazoo.

Do i really need to go into this again with you? Do we really need to entertain something so ludicrous as the GC sold something like 200,000 more units then the xbox in for two seperate months? Do you think we wouldn't have heard this? Not to mention the fact Wazoo already present you with some information.

Legion, I am not a time traveller, I could not see Wazoo's numbers before he posted them, which is when I originally questioned your assertion that XBox was ahead in hardware sales in the U.S. I have no claimed otherwise since Wazoo posted thse numbers, I have only explained why I originally wanted evidence of XBox still being ahead.

No you haven't of you wouldn't have mentioned it.

I don't understand what your trying to say there

Lets look this up shall we?

If you want to do that then that'd be fine yeah.

You are highly predictable Teasy. At least you should broaden you horizons.

I'll decide what I like and what I don't not you.

To say that a system throughout its entire life span won't have games you will like to me is absurd. In your mind i am sure you have justified such nonsense.

Please quote were I said that a system would not have any games I liked throughout its life span. I just did not say that at all. Read that comment again and then read your reply. Its like your replying to a completely different comment.

Did anyone say you have to buy a new system now? No. What i did say however was systems do go down in price. I can't believe that when said eventuality comes to pass you'd still avoid picking the xbox up. Even then you could pick up a used xbox for anywhere around 50% to 66% of wholesale price. That doesn't sound half bad.

Where did I say I wouldn't buy one? I said that as of now I see no reason, and I cannot predict the games that may make me buy it so I cannot possibly say that I will deffinately get one. It may turn out that I never buy one. PS2 already has one game series that I would buy a PS2 for (if it dropped in price) so I can say that I likely will end up with a PS2 at some point.

I imagine such a price drop will eventually occur. It always does. No one said you have to pick up a system right now.

Well you did seem to be saying that. If your not saying that then how can you even argue with my original comment? Which was:

As for XBox, well there's nothing on XBox I have to own so I doubt I'll get one of them for ages, if ever

That clearly means that at this point XBox does not have any games I must have so I have no current plans to buy it. Also I have no way of knowing if I will ever have exclusives that I simply must have so I may ebd up not buying on at all.

How can you argue with that?

You didn't bother to read what i said. It is clear a system will go down in price. To say that system won't ever have a game you will like is a bit ridiculous.

On the contrary, once again you didn't read what I said. I said:

And you reply saying that I've said XBox will never drop in price, what are you reading when you reply to me?

A bit more maturity out of you would be nice Teasy

Your reasoning deserves a lack of maturity in response. You've basically draged this out for 3+ posts now, actually arguing that I'm being childish because I see no reason to buy an XBox now or in the future. How can I predict the future?, I cannot predict that XBox will ever offer me something I have to have that is not already on a console I already own so how can I be sure, now, that I will ever own an XBox?

No one said for you to assume

You seem to be asking me to assume that XBox will have exclusive games that I must own in the future.

I highly doubt you are exposing yourself to xbox titles anyway. Your video gaming interest seems terribly limited.

I haven't even mentioned what my gaming interests are. I mentioned the most likely kind of games that I would have to own, I did not mention ever type of game I can like, there are very few types of games I will dismiss out of hand. But my favourite types of games, the ones most likely to be must haves, are stuff like Mario, Zelda and Football games.

I almost feel as though you are trying to convince yourself more so than me.

You can feel whatever you like, you know what I feel? I feel this is possible the stupidest discusiong I've ever seen. I know what I can and cannot afford, I know what I do and don't need. Why don't you keep your tastes and buying needs to yourself and stop pushing them onto me. Its as simple as this, until a console is cheap enough, and has games I have to own I will not even consider buying it.

If you follow the trend it grows closer and then farther apart.

For the last 3 months GameCube has been catching XBox in monthly sales.

This sound much like guess work to me. Wouldn't it be a shock to see that SFA and Mario really haven't helped the GC? During the holiday season we will see the reason of numerous xbox titles that have relatively big names. Honestly i think the xbox will hold its own against the GC. Also if you notice the trend everytime the GC receives a boost in sales after time the affect of whatever helped it wheres off and the sales reside.

You say that my comment sounds like guess work and then you come out with allot of guess work as well, isn't that hypocritical?

Leave it to the console forum to drag up the standard, "My console can beat up your console" arguments. Gentlemen, the poster asked for good PS/2 games, not why I would or wouldn't buy a <insert other console you'd bleed for>.

Word of advice: When asking about the best games for "Y" console, don't slam "X" console and you might get a less conflict-ridden thread. ;)

Ignoring this, I will simply add that my favorite PS2 games are:

ICO, Maximo, GT3, FFX and VF4.

I don't yet own a PS2, but plan to get one when they drop to $149, probably with some of the above games + Shinobi.

You say that my comment sounds like guess work and then you come out with allot of guess work as well, isn't that hypocritical?

Infact teasy i was pointing out how the trend may read. Some of the people here believe that the GC will begin to outsell the xbox. That is possible but it is also very possible that the trend i was speaking about may follow. It may only sound hypocritical to some one who wants to start an argument Teasy.

Johnny Awesome said:
Word of advice: When asking about the best games for "Y" console, don't slam "X" console and you might get a less conflict-ridden thread. ;)

If you or anyone equate 'slamming a console' with mentioning that X-box sales might not be doing so well, I think you're being overly sensitive.

Back