Good PS2 games?

bbot

Regular
Before I decided to get an Xbox, I was planning on getting a PS2. Originally I would have gotten Gran Turismo 3 and Final Fantasy 10, but because a saleperson suggested Project Gotham Racing had better graphics than Gran Turismo 3, I got an Xbox instead. However matters are getting worse, in terms of Xbox units sold, I am considering getting a PS2. Can you help me by suggesting good PS2 games?

Depends what you like.

My favs on the system are FF X, Rez, ICO, VF4, Devil May Cry, MGS2, Silent Hill 2 and Kingdom Hearts.

If I could only pick three, it'd probably Final Fantasy X, Virtua Fighter 4, and Rez (tough choice between it and ICO).

zurich

Plus just out is the new Need 4 Speed that seems to have made quite a showing on the PS2. It's understandable if you would rather stick with PGR (or even Burnout2), but I put it out there since you asked.

Ico, MGS2, Rez, Frequency, Klonoa 2, Silent Hill 2, Ace Combat 4, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Gran Turismo 3, Burnout 2, SSX Tricky, Onimusha 1 & 2, Grand Theft Auto 3, Virtua Fighter 4, Mark of Kri, Jak & Daxter, Medal of Honour:Frontline, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy X.

You should read reviews for these games, of course, as you may not like all of them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I notice that qroach has gotten a Gamecube. Has he finally realised that XBox is a lost cause?

I notice that qroach has gotten a Gamecube. Has he finally realised that XBox is a lost cause?

F-l-a-m-e-b-a-i-t

I'm sure there are many people out there who think GC is a lost cause. Only difference is, they understand the meaning of the word tact.

zurich

marconelly! said:
Ico, MGS2, Rez, Frequency, Klonoa 2, Silent Hill 2, Ace Combat 4, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Gran Turismo 3, Burnout 2, SSX Tricky, Onimusha 1 & 2, Grand Theft Auto 3, Virtua Fighter 4, Mark of Kri, Jak & Daxter, Medal of Honour:Frontline, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy X.

Is it just me or was Devil May Cry pretty damn cool? It's such a fun game, I love the action - enough to actually comment on it :)

MGS2 is a must, as is ICO and GTA3.

Mr. Angry Pants said:
bbot said:
However matters are getting worse, in terms of Xbox units sold, I am considering getting a PS2.

Wow! I never knew hardware sales directly impacted the fun factor of games on a console. ;)

Of course, it matters. The PS2 has a VERY large user base. So developers want to make games for the PS2. Holiday season was
supposed to be the time when things got better for the XBox. Blinx (other games too) was supposed to be a system seller. But after seeing GS giving Blinx a bad rating, I'm convinced the sales of XBoxes will be bad.

Mr. Angry Pants said:
bbot said:
However matters are getting worse, in terms of Xbox units sold, I am considering getting a PS2.

Wow! I never knew hardware sales directly impacted the fun factor of games on a console. ;)

It will not if the games you want to play are already available on the console, but it will if you want to have the consoles with the largest support, which implies the largest ratio of good games (very good games are much more difficult to predict).

bbot, if your a Football (soccer if you come from the U.S) fan then I'd say a game to buy the PS2 for is PES/PES2.

PS2 does have allot of good games, but personally only one game series that I currently can't get on GameCube interests me to a point were I'm even thinking about buying a PS2. That game series is PES, I have PES on a PSX emulator and love it and I've heard that its really nowhere near as good as the PS2 version (its more like ISS Evo 2 with updated player names rather then the real PES). So considering all the improvements people say PES has over the ealier Evolution games I REALLY want this game. Also with the iminent release of PES2 I'm almost seriously thinking about getting a PS2.

The problem is I just can't justify getting a PS2 for one game, Ă‚ÂŁ160 is too much, especially with the horror stories of PS2's braking allot. Also according to Konami tokyo PES2 is also coming to GameCube, so I'll wait for more info on that. But if PS2 hits Ă‚ÂŁ99 and there is no PES game out for GameCube and no hope for one in the near future then I'll have to seriously think about getting a PS2. As for XBox, well there's nothing on XBox I have to own so I doubt I'll get one of them for ages, if ever.

bbot, they aren't saying the xbox is selling badly, they are just saying that it doesn't have to userbase to make it the lead development platform in all cases. The same thing applies to GC....

They are right because most publishers will always want a PS2 version over xbox OR Gamecube simply due to the fact the user base is huge and you can possibly get more sales (no matter what the title).

Those people on fatbabies.com are clearly ignorant, biased children. They seem to forget that in terms of sales the the GC is far behind the Xbox in the states, recently the Xbox has been outselling the GC in parts of Europe, and eternal darkness hasn't sold well compared to titles on the Xbox such as Marrowind. Ever tittle promised to bridge the gap between the GC and Xbox in the states seems to fall flat as the Xbox is still outselling it. Titles commonly found on the Xbox and GC often sell better on the Xbox.

Off the topic, what the hell is wrong with some of you? What exactly is happening here with such rhetoric as "well system x doesn't have the titles i want so i won't ever get it"? Do you all not realize how childish you are being? There are excellent titles on all three systems which merit the purchase of each (albeit complete rip offs of other titles). I can't imagine that one would deny themselves RE, Metroid Prime, or Zelda on the GC. Star Ocean 3, Suikoden 3, DMC2, Shinobi on the PS2. Ninja Gaiden, BC, Fable, Halo2 or Perfect Dark on the Xbox.

Legion ED did abut the same number of units as Morrowind (around 200,000 by now). And XB is'nt "far ahead" of GCN. The gap has shrunk some but yes the XB is still about 200,000 units ahead of GCN in the US. With the GCN about at 1 to 1.5 million units ahead of XB globally.

But yes the PS2 is the 'lead' platform for developement. As far as games on PS2. Maximo and ICO are the two best imo. Ironically they did'nt sell well at all.

Last time i checked the xbox was beating the GC by over 300,000+ units. That was back in June released in a CSFB report to my knowledge. From what i have heard Marrowind has sold around 300,000 units not 200,000 but i haven't looked that up. Even so its not anything to be so proud of when considering its sales. Those individuals are at least guilty of over inflating the importance of said titles. I do not recall within the last few months the gc outselling the Xbox at all or at least anywhere near the level of bridging such a gap. You will have to show me such information.

The worth of a title is entirely decided by the eye of the beholder.

Those people on fatbabies.com are clearly ignorant, biased children. They seem to forget that in terms of sales the the GC is far behind the Xbox in the states, recently the Xbox has been outselling the GC in parts of Europe, and eternal darkness hasn't sold well compared to titles on the Xbox such as Marrowind.

GameCube is not far behind in the U.S, far behind is what XBox is in Japan, a couple of hundred thousand units (if it is a couple of hundred thousand units behind) is not far behind. Although actually have we even seen hardware sales for the U.S in the last few months?.. how do you know XBox is even still ahead in the U.S? Also in there first month out Morrowind and Eternal Darkness sold 180,000 and 140,000 respectively, not exactly worlds appart is it?

Ever tittle promised to bridge the gap between the GC and Xbox in the states seems to fall flat as the Xbox is still outselling it

Show me the money.. er I mean numbers :) Show me the latest console hardware sold numbers for the U.S. Also remember that the U.S isn't everything, XBox is miles behind in Japan and I would be suprised if it still wasn't quite a way behind in Europe too.

Titles commonly found on the Xbox and GC often sell better on the Xbox.

Not true AFAICS, some sell better on XBox and some better on GameCube.

Off the topic, what the hell is wrong with some of you? What exactly is happening here with such rhetoric as "well system x doesn't have the titles i want so i won't ever get it"? Do you all not realize how childish you are being?

What's childish about that? I already have GameCube for my console gaming needs. I'm not bloody made of money you know, so unless another console has something that I absolutely have to have that is not on GameCube I will not buy it (as I said PES could be one of those games). Some extra good games aren't enough to make me spend over a hundred pounds on another console when I already have more good to great games then I can currently buy on GameCube anyway.

I do agree though that FatBabies forum does seem bias against XBox for the most part.

Show me the money.. er I mean numbers icon_smile.gif Show me the latest console hardware sold numbers for the U.S. Also remember that the U.S isn't everything, XBox is miles behind in Japan and I would be suprised if it still wasn't quite a way behind in Europe too.

http://pub111.ezboard.com/fgamingag...?topicID=19031.topic&start=61&stop=74

GC is still behind, but the gap is getting lower.

as for Europe, it is difficult to know. Nintendo said they have sold over 1M by end August. We are still waiting for the MS press release.

GameCube is not far behind in the U.S, far behind is what XBox is in Japan, a couple of hundred thousand units (if it is a couple of hundred thousand units behind) is not far behind. Although actually have we even seen hardware sales for the U.S in the last few months?.. how do you know XBox is even still ahead in the U.S? Also in there first month out Morrowind and Eternal Darkness sold 180,000 and 140,000 respectively, not exactly worlds appart is it?

No one said they were worlds apart Teasy you are exaggerating. The fact remains Morrowind did outsell ED. This statement was made in reference to some of the nonsense on fatbabies.com. My point rests.

How do i know the Xbox is still ahead of the GC? I am sure we would have heard some interesting propaganda around the net if said information was released Teasy. Since you have no knowledge to the contrary there is no need to insinuate anything. It would be rather ridiculous Teasy to assume that the GC would spontaneous sell several hundred thousand more units permonth then the xbox. I do believe we saw last months hardware sales that had the xbox selling around 5,000 - 10,000 more units the GC.

Show me the money.. er I mean numbers Show me the latest console hardware sold numbers for the U.S. Also remember that the U.S isn't everything, XBox is miles behind in Japan and I would be suprised if it still wasn't quite a way behind in Europe too.

Teasy logic ought to dictate to you that amazing hardware sales would have been reported to the media. Likewise Teasy Japan isn't everything either. To my knowledge a a definative hardware sales chart hasn't been released in europe for quite some time now. The US is quite different. I do recall seeming August's sales charts here in these forums. What you are suggesting is that in a matter of two months (july and september) that the GC has suddenly dwarfed the xbox in sales? The most recent sales chart i have seen here from the US i believe was in August.

Not true AFAICS, some sell better on XBox and some better on GameCube.

To my knowledge it is more common place to see a game sell better on the Xbox.

What's childish about that? I already have GameCube for my console gaming needs. I'm not bloody made of money you know, so unless another console has something that I absolutely have to have that is not on GameCube I will not buy it (as I said PES could be one of those games). Some extra good games aren't enough to make me spend over a hundred pounds on another console when I already have more good to great games then I can currently buy on GameCube anyway.

The reason it is so chidlish is that you especially come across as doing all that is in your power to find something you don't like about the xbox. As an objective gamer can you honestly say that anthing you see on the cube is really all that much better than anything on the PS2 or xbox? Teasy systems do go down in price and in time the same will be true with the xbox. I can't imagine that after all the years the xbox will be out you will still find some way not to pruchase one.

I do agree though that FatBabies forum does seem bias against XBox for the most part.

great.

Back