Going to overclock the graphic card but does the ram involves ?

NonNative

Newcomer
Well as everyone knows 8800GT going to be very very overclocked able so I plan to overclock it as well.I'm going to rise my core clock to 700 MHz or something like that. ;)

Vendor said if I'm really going to do it I need faster ram (was planned going to use 1066 but they will get me 1333) they also said I need to change the cooler as well.(CPU Q6600)

The cooler part its understandable but the ram part isnt.I mean if I'm getting a graphic card that really fast like 8800Ultra ? Dont I need a ram that run more faster ?

Are you planning on overclocking your whole system or just your GPU? If just the GPU then no you don't, if the whole system then yes faster ram will help.

Just GPU. :)

Anyway one more question if I use ram that faster than CPU require ? will it help improve the performance ?

Just GPU. :)

Anyway one more question if I use ram that faster than CPU require ? will it help improve the performance ?

Not unless you overclock the Front Side Bus as well. Faster memory does nothing for you on the Intel side unless you're overclocking (or running lower timings).

And do I need an aluminium case for it ? if I got better cooler system on my graphic card already ? everything else just running at stock speed excepted for GPU only. :)

no,
ps: if your prepared to buy an ali case, faster ram ect just to make your gfx card faster just buy a faster card

lol do you mean GTX ?

Its still too expensive when you combine all accessory things to one GTX.
Beside I'm already cut off the ram.I will buy normal case then :)

So I can save money for X-Fi instead.

Oh please tell newbie O/C like me.Do I need to rise the volt in graphic card or not if I O/Ced them ?
Beside the vendor said I need 500W powersupply for my system.Do you think its overkilled ? (Q6600 and 8800GT)

Perhaps 400W should be more sound reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd bet we'll see faster cards before the end of 1Q next year. If a $250 8800 GT isn't fast enough to hold you over till then, you can always get two :p

Back