*God Of War 3 Thread v2.0 + Interview Stig Asmussen

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by warcrow, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

I wouldnt mind it getting hard as whole, its that the game is way too easy on normal outside of boss battles
    I told you why.
    Having to pass 4-stage bosses which require learning their patterns, then die on the 4th stage and have to play minutes to get the again. eg. I still dont know how to dodge the water-breath of stage4-horse-thingy. Visually the only spot thats not covered is rather close to the enemy, but the startup-animation for the attack is similar to its claw-grab which kills you if you stand close. Am I supposed to find out by try-and-die where Im supposed to hide from that?
    On normal I just wacked it to death and could easily take a few hits, its way too easy for my liking. On hard it pisses me off so much by dying so often by attacks I had no chance to learn to evade... and then having to run towards the boss, watch an unskippable cinematic and go through 3 stages of tedious dodge and attack cycles you cant speed up either because the enemy doesnt gives you much freedom on how you fight it - you always have to wait for its atack-cycles to finish

Perhaps hard if fine on a second walkthrough, as you learned the bosses already. But Im kinda forced to play on normal because of this and the way to easy regular fights already killed all excitement I had to play the game.

#801 Npl, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2010
  2. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

I can fully understand that you are annoyed by this, there are a lot of games which annoy me as well in the same way...so this was not meant to mock you!

Probably I had just luck with GOW3 as such a situation does not occur (which basically occured in GOW1 and GOW2 every fight or so!), and of course as you said: I started at normal my first playthrough and learned some of the boss patterns - but to be honest, normal is so easy that it is often not even necessary to take much care for the patterns...so I needed to learn most of them, the 'Hard' way :)

But with respect to your water horse problem, if I remember correctly (I hope so), I have the solution for you:

The trick is to never let the horse do its 'water breath' !
    How so? During the horse stays in the back and prepares for the water breath and than walks towards the 'front' - do as much damage you can (I think you need some combos here) to the horse, or its 'spider leg' in the front! If you do sufficient damage to the horse (leg), the horse tumbles back without the water breath!

In this video, the fight is shown, and I think that the stage you have trouble with is about at 4:00 or so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpo1XYFelJg

just take a look how the player tries to do much damage and how the horse finally gets kicked back...is this the stage you talked about?
    Of course, in hard mode you need more damage and the timing with its water breath is a lot closer...but it is not impossible!

3. nightshade

nightshade Interwebz Hijacker !
    Veteran

The entire first level boss fights are ridiculously hard first time if you directly start on titan. (except for the last battle with mega size poseidon..which just requires patience)

4. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

Nope, its the very first encounter with the beast, pretty early in the game. Im not sure you are guaranteed to interrupt the boss in time if you whack him hard - if you fail you`re pretty much screwed - a single claw attack killed me easily with lots of health left.
    I know that alot people often bitch about missing checkpoints, this is the first time I do it myself :lol:

I somehow never had those probs in the first two GoWs (apart from the infamous final battle in GoW 1). GoW 1 had few bosses, either as proper multi-stage Boss-Battles or sprinkled through a level at manageable doses (read not 5 minutes and 4 stages for every glimpse of a boss, times a many). AFAIR GoW 2 had more bosses but handled them similar.

GoW 3 went into overdrive with that damn horse atleast. And its kinda the worst Boss-battle mechanics if you just have to sit out and get dictated what to do most of the time (fixed arena, dodge here, dodge there). I cant remember all Bosses of previous titles now, but surely they never showed up in such unpleasant regularity.

I stopped a bit after making peace with Helios (the only kinda peace Kratos understands :grin:) on normal - I wish I could dial the difficulty back up between bosses.

5. Sigfried1977

Legend Veteran

In my opinion no boss battle in God of War III is even remotely as difficult as the first game's infamous final battle (took me about 5 hours to pass on the highest difficulty) or Theseus in part 2. (which is where I gave up. God of War II had bosses a plenty by the way)

I'm also happy that God of War III ditched the many instant death situations that were so common in the first 2 games entirely (like finish off these dudes before a giant trapdoor underneath you opens, or before you get squished by spikes, or roasted by fire)

6. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

On 'Hard', I had a few problems with Zeus at the end, took me a lot of tries...and I thought that this was really tough?
    Although I learned that you can block and counter nearly all of his attacks, then I could beat him 'rather easy' ...

7. Cornsnake

Veteran

8. nightshade

nightshade Interwebz Hijacker !
    Veteran

That was an awesome breakdown...gotta agree with this guy.

9. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

After owning this for months, I finally beat the game (twice). Some of the most epic battles in my gaming history and some of the best visuals I've ever seen.

Found this sweet combo video and thought I would share. Very impressive stuff.

10. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

Hm...I have to say...that this is indeed the coolest stuff I have ever seen!!

Thanks for the link!

11. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

Yeah, I've seen a lot of crazy combo videos from Bayonetta, DMC3/4 etc., and this is one of the coolest ones I've seen. They are very well thought. The moves/weapons in GoWIII are so flashy and badass that it makes these combos look sick.

Question:
    There's a lot of moves/magic that I didn't even know were possible. Like how does he use the magic attack with the big blue tornado thing? And that move where kratos uses his wings to toss himself high in the air? Don't you lose these things after Athena turns your blades into the blades of Exile? And I didn't even know it was possible to juggle the bigger enemies.

edit: nm, I see there's an item that allows continued use of the blades of athena.

#811 djskribbles, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2010
  12. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

I wondered the exact same thing myself. I don't know the answer. But some of the stuff in this combo vid where in arena fights, where you get special abilities depending on the challenge.
    And I know that after completing the game once, you have access to the God items you have found during the game. Those God items (I think you can activate them in the start menu!?) give you different abilities and extra stuff...probably some of them are that you get those extra abilities and the stuff shown in the vids?

13. patsu

Legend

The video makes me feel guilty about completing the game on Easy. I didn't know they made so many special moves in the game. Never thought of using Medusa spirit against Medusa. XD

I picked up all the gods' items and forgot about them. They should have shown these during the initial promo. I see the game somewhat differently if everyone can use these combos.

The story critic above is spot on too. I also felt the void when Kratos destroyed everything in his path in the end for no good reason.

14. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

There is a glitch at the end. I wonder how they did it. If Kratos falls off the cliff in a certain way in that area, he will appear in another area where he will die with a glitch animation?

15. bystander

Regular

Aside from Chaos difficulty I don't anything in the game was as tough as the Challenges (of Exile). The time limit on them made some of them ridiculously tough (as much as the 10th challenge in GoW). I'm talking about these three challenges below:

16. assurdum

Veteran

17. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Can't you find the Challenge of Olympus menu option? Or the Combat Arena?

» How do I unlock the Combat Arena?
    Beat the game on any difficulty to unlock Challenge of Olympus. Beat Challenge of Olympus (all challenges) to unlock the Combat Arena.

18. assurdum

Veteran

I have unlock the combat Arena but I haven't any new 'mission' l, only the same Arena of the Challenge and personal setting of type of enemies, number, weapons & so on, but nothing like this ... I mean, what I have missed?

19. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I think these are all in the Challenge of Olympus. Probably you just don't remember these levels and all you miss is a piece of your memory. :lol:

20. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran