*God Of War 3 Thread v2.0 + Interview Stig Asmussen

Well imo Hercules & Hades are equally detailed as Kratos ;)

And I don't think Combat is weak, infact its great & its one GOW3's strength.The combat doesn't tries to be complicated or deep like other action game its just a hack & slash at its simplest form where the execution & blocking matters more than combos & flashy moves...simple & brutal is what makes it fun for most. Its gives the sensation of you being a really powerful character where your every move does some considerable amount of damage, compare this to other action games where there are a lot of moves which are kind of useless & serve no purpose outside of helping in extending the combos. If I had to do a comparison with an example I'd say that in GOW you are a raging bull & in other hack & slash games you are like a bee. About the jumping, someone here mentioned that in previous games you were required to press the X to double jump when Kratos is at the peak of his first jump so as to get the most effective height bu tin GOW3 you jump for the same height regardless of when you press X for double jump.

On thing which I'll mention here is that playing on Titan mode really helped me appreciate the game a ton more....after I was done with the game on titan I did a run on Normal so as to get the maxed out Trophy & I really thought it was bleh ! ...at most. All the people who had problems in teh Cerberus fight were the one who played it on Titan. :p

The combat doesn't tries to be complicated or deep like other action game its just a hack & slash at its simplest form where the execution & blocking matters more than combos & flashy moves...simple & brutal is what makes it fun for most.

Yes, keeping it simple to execute is helpful for people like me. For people who want more challenge, start with higher difficulty. :p

That's one of the main reasons keeping me from buying Bayonetta. I can start with easier difficulty, but if I get a sense that they are catering to more talented gamers, then I won't feel comfortable committing.

I finished this a week ago and liked it quite a lot. Compared to previous God of Wars it doesn't really offer anything else besides prettier craphics, that's enough though. It was more brutal than the previous games, which I liked. I never had any problems with double jumping, but I did fell in to death quite a lot of times. I think the dynamic camera worked well again, but I'd rather control it myself, except in some set piece events.

The game had lot's of good boss fights, but they could have extract little more out of the gods and plot wise the trilogy as a whole is a bit of a mess. I think the first game of the series was the greatest by far, it made sense from start to the finish and had a really strong finish, the latter two games were kind of rehashes, but still very enjoyable. I'd give it 9.2/10

It was more brutal than the previous games, which I liked.

Okay, seriously, you're the only person in my circle who declare this. What exactly attracts you in the brutal scenes ? Mind you, I've only completed the Poseidon's chapter, and I have no idea how bad this goes (yet).

Okay, seriously, you're the only person in my circle who declare this. What exactly attracts you in the brutal scenes ? Mind you, I've only completed the Poseidon's chapter, and I have no idea how bad this goes (yet).

Well he's not you & you are not him ;)
Few guys may prefer blood & gore even if its done to the extreme heh !

I pretended that Texan was in the game... hehe

I just think it fits the character Kratos and the world well. In that setting it just makes sense to bash those heads in. Other games don't go that far and GoW 3 luckily doesn't rely just on the shock factor to generate interest. I like extreme things in fiction/fantasy, even if they are far from ok in real life, that's the beauty of fiction, it can imo harmlesly gross boundaries.

In that setting it just makes sense to bash those heads in.

[steps away from Dr. Evil]

I am the opposite.

I supposed if it's a true tale about a Middle-Easterner or a Vietnamnese escaping from their war-torned countries, then I'd like to know the full story about their journey even if it's gorey.

Now if they substitute that protagonist with Kratos, that believability and my desire (to see the gore) will go South.

Just finished it. Loved it. Havent played the second one, but GoW1 was top 2 games i played on ps2, and very high on my favorite games list. This one does not dissapoint. Graphics are un-*******-believable!!! The game it self is awesome.

I like the whole greek mythology setting, the violence and the story is imo quite good for such a game. Imo far better than what the other games in this genre do. Art wise, its probably best game i have played. Graphics are awesome (screenshots dont do this justice at all! Once you see it in motion on a huge screen its something completely different). I like that the combos are easy to pull of and not super complicated, but then again im no expert in these games.

Overall graphical impression:best thing i have seen on consoles.

Rented the game on Sunday and beat it last night. Took me around 9 hours on Normal.

The game is a cakewalk on normal, I couldn't even imagine what easy would be like. All your complaints about the combat and the other weapons being worthless is because you can pretty much beat the game without really learning enemy patterns or blocking attacks.

At this point I can only imagine how much better the supposed sequel would look like. Now that SSM has laid out all the ground work for PS3, they can really start to maximize the engine, using the SPUs and the artists can really devote their time to make all the contents instead of learning and adapting to new techniques. We'll probably see a similar jump in quality from Uc1 to Uc2:) no?

The game is a cakewalk on normal, I couldn't even imagine what easy would be like. All your complaints about the combat and the other weapons being worthless is because you can pretty much beat the game without really learning enemy patterns or blocking attacks.

I'm playing it on Titan and disagree that RobertR1 arguments are invalid. In fact, the more I play it on Titan, the more I agree that the combat is rather limited.

The lag when performing a dodge move or activating the fleece is particularly noticeable especially during mid-combos. The only time I really found them responsive at all is when I am doing nothing waiting to perform these moves for example during the Zues fight.

I found it particularly frustrating during the Poseidon boss fight when trying to dodge the breath and claw attacks.

I enjoy the game for the graphics and story, but the combat system could really do with an overhaul that allows mid-combo dodge or counters.

The lag when performing a dodge move or activating the fleece is particularly noticeable especially during mid-combos.
I will disagree here, I just can't stress enough as per how many times the dodge has saved my ass from getting whooped. :) You must've noticed that it depends on weapons too, like the dodge by Cestus & Hades Claws are very slow but the dodge by Blades of Exile Nemesis Whip are extremely fast.

If the dodge wasn't as responsive as it is then I'd have had a heck lot of more trouble defeating the fire cerberus, since you desperately need to dodge as it provides you with a large amount of invulnerability frames from many attacks like the exploding dogs. I'll say the same for the Golden Fleece as I practically used nothing but the fleece to defeat Zeus by deflecting his bolts [which are extremely fast] in the last fight. Other moves are not as responsive as they all take a while to cool down so that you can pull off the next move, but these two are the most responsive actions in the game imo.

But the argument is not about if its responsive or not, but rather that when playing this game Titan its a whole new game. I normally start all hack & slash games be it DMC or Ninja Gaiden on the hardest difficulty available cause it gives me the feeling that this is how it was meant to be played :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will disagree here, I just can't stress enough as per how many times the dodge has saved my ass from getting whooped. :) You must've noticed that it depends on weapons too, like the dodge by Cestus & Hades Claws are very slow but the dodge by Blades of Exile Nemesis Whip are extremely fast.

If the dodge wasn't as responsive as it is then I'd have had a heck lot of more trouble defeating the fire cerberus, since you desperately need to dodge as it provides you with a large amount of invulnerability frames from many attacks like the exploding dogs. I'll say the same for the Golden Fleece as I practically used nothing but the fleece to defeat Zeus by deflecting his bolts [which are extremely fast] in the last fight. Other moves are not as responsive as they all take a while to cool down so that you can pull off the next move, but these two are the most responsive actions in the game imo.

But the argument is not about if its responsive or not, but rather that when playing this game Titan its a whole new game. I normally start all hack & slash games be it DMC or Ninja Gaiden on the hardest difficulty available cause it gives me the feeling that this is how it was meant to be played :LOL:

That's cool although I disagree. I've experimented with all the weapons - my favorites are the Blades of Exile and the Cestus.

IMO, if the dodge and Golden Fleece counter were more responsive, I'd garner that Titan would not nearly be as difficult.

While we're on the subject, I also find the R1 + X when climbing or hanging to be rather slow as well. None of the above makes it unplayable, but it does make me feel that some of the deaths or injury suffered is more the lack of response than a lack of skill.

The game is great, but ranks below Bayonetta and NG for me.

There isn't any move that goes with R1+X while climbing I guess :???:

And its easy to see that the delay in climbing & hanging is not due to the controls being unresponsive but rather they purposely made it slow, cause you don't see any kind of delay while climbing with just the left analogue stick or doing various context sensitive moves & such. Once you do a jump while climbing it takes a while until your character can recover & do that move again...its not exactly a delay instead your character is in cool down time right after the jump & hence not responding to any of your inputs. The same can be said about the rolling dodge of Blades of Exile, once you do a roll it takes a while to do it again. But if you are like just standing still/running or doing a light attack and then try to do a roll, it'll come out extremely.Infact it was one of my strategy do tow light attacks & as soon as the someone tries to charge towards me I do a backroll to avoid it cause it came out so fast. If there was a delay in controller response then it'd have been applicable to every action, not just particular moves.

I won't really compare it to NG,DMC,Bayonetta as these games are different from GOW games for the reason I once mentioned before on last page, and GOW games are much more than just combat while the formers rely purely on combat.

With R1 + X you either lunge left, right, or up quickly when climbing and forward, backward and sideways when hanging. For boss fights it's used noticeably with Poseidon and to dodge when you have the falling boulders later in the game.

I agree that it doesn't compare to those other games which is why I say that for me the combat was the weakest aspect of this game. It doesn't suck by a long shot, but I believe that it is something that can be strongly improved upon for any sequels.

With R1 + X you either lunge left, right, or up quickly when climbing and forward, backward and sideways when hanging. For boss fights it's used noticeably with Poseidon and to dodge when you have the falling boulders later in the game. .

IIRC you don't need to press R1...only X with direction input is enough. :smile:

You're a much better man than I. Easy is the only setting I beat so far. Some SERIOUS hardcore gamers were dying on "normal". They tried Titan and ended up going back down a setting. One even tried it on Chaos and couldn't get past the first mini-boss. They have played through GoW1 and 2 numerous times.

There isn't much diff between Titan & Chaos...if you can do it on Titan then Chaos shud be not much of a problem

Back