Glassy Metals.

too bad we can't afford it...

Read the article - it's getting cheaper all the time. Currently there are versions that cost no more than high grade stainless steel, and that was from the 2004 article. The main cost is in retooling, but it can be cheaper to produce. For instance, no machining after you've molded it, being able to use less material because it is so much stronger than conventional metals.

true. perhaps it will even out. i am a fan of: better, faster, CHEAPER.

i did read the article, but i stopped at $15 v 25 cents.

Potentially, it can be cheaper. For instance, razor blades that pop out of the mold without the need for sharpening, and then stay sharp for a year. Products that last longer and don't wear out so quickly. Products that use half the metal and are still twice as strong. Once retooling has been done and economies of scale start to come into play, it will get cheaper again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder, can this 'glassy metal' be made in the same manner as safety glass and make it another ~2x stronger, and when it breaks it shatters into little cubic fragments? :D

Glassy metals are what they use to make high-temperature superconductors as well, although most of those are officially classified as ceramics.

Back