GFFX AA post filtering?

Lincoln said:
Doomtrooper said:
Its still OGMS vs RGMS.

The 4xS, 6xS, and 8xS AA modes all have a 2x RGMS component to them, in addition to the OGSS part.

Lincoln
I'm not so sure about that. There are two modes of each 6x and 8x in the Detonator drivers. You can use aTuner to enable them.
One 6x mode is 4xOGMS + 1.5x1 OGSS, the other is 2xRGMS + 1.5x2 OGSS.

One 8x mode is 4xOGMS + 2x1 OGSS, the other is 2xRGMS + 2x2 OGSS.

And I'm almost sure that the modes used on GFFX are the ones with 4x OGMS. At least the pics look like it.

The GF FX is not the GF 4. What was true for the GF 4, therefore, is not necessarily true for the GF FX.

Also, my current understanding is that the 2x RGMS component of AA is what is downsampled. Therefore...this would have an effect on 2x RGMS, and the 4xS, 6xS, and 8xS mode screenshots. This seems pretty reasonable.

I presume other possibilities, like Quincunx being incorporated into all modes or some such, would have been noticed when viewed on screen, or are discounted for reasons I'm not thinking of at the moment.

:?: Ack! Xmas, way to throw more confusion into this. :-?

Xmas said:
I'm not so sure about that. There are two modes of each 6x and 8x in the Detonator drivers. You can use aTuner to enable them.
One 6x mode is 4xOGMS + 1.5x1 OGSS, the other is 2xRGMS + 1.5x2 OGSS.

One 8x mode is 4xOGMS + 2x1 OGSS, the other is 2xRGMS + 2x2 OGSS.

And I'm almost sure that the modes used on GFFX are the ones with 4x OGMS. At least the pics look like it.

I'd agree with that. I mentioned it in one of the slew of threads on this (must be something that everyone has to have their own FX thread ;)). The edge AA and its regularity implies an ordered grid, odd that the choice of the supersampling gives AA emphasis on the verticals though.

[speculation]
The performance hit of the 8x mode in the gf fx also seems very high if its only 2x supersampling? :-? 22% of the no AA speed :oops:

A possible reason for these modes being used is that nvidia are having problems with the 2xMS in combination with supersampling (note 4xS and its artefacts) so they had to use the 4xMS in the (p)review drivers
[/speculation]

Latest from [H]OCP -

GeForceFX Follow-up:
Well, yesterday was certainly interesting as we were questioning our own IQ screenshots in our GFFX 5800 Ultra preview. We are still working on getting all the facts together, but we do have some initial thoughts on this issue.

First off and most important to many of you, is that our performance numbers are dead on, and show to be correct for every AA and AF setting shown utilized in our benchmarks (whew).

Second, it seems that our High Quality Image Quality comparison is correct as well as our IQ comparisons done at and above the 4XAA level.

Where we are sure they are wrong is solely on our 2XAA/QCAA screenshots and comparisons. Being that this will be a level that almost anyone purchasing the card would be using it is very important.

Going back yesterday and last night and doing in-game comparisons with the ATI 9700 Pro, it looks to us that NVIDIA's AA is still not up to par with the 9700 Pro's level of quality across the board, but certainly not as lacking as we pointed out at lower levels of AA.

Overall, we are still standing by our conclusions we drew from our initial results. The GeForceFX 5800 Ultra is loud, hot, expensive, and does not deliver the in-game image quality that the ATI 9700 Pro does. There is no doubt about the validity of that statement in my mind. This is not to say that GFFX is a bad product as it is marginally faster in many applications than the ATI flagship, but we all know that it all stopped being only about frames per second some time ago.

So to put it succinctly, NVIDIA gets a bit of credit for doing much better 2XAA than at first thought, but it surely does not change our opinion of the product. Now if we can just get NVIDIA to tell us exactly what is going on with their AA and why some forms of it seem to be done differently than others.

We are currently working on getting proper 2XAA images placed into our GFFX preview along with a reworking of the evaluation of those images.

http://www.hardocp.com/

Back