GF4 4200Go

I find it strange that Nvidia would bother attempting to introduce this product into the market when they dam well know that laptop manufacturers won't be interested in the offering.. the TI series cards run hot and need some serious active cooling for the most part, but I can't see this part using active cooling. If it does not have active cooling that chip will be hot as hell.

Further power consumption is a massive concern for any manufacturer of laptops. They don't want to see high percentages of their products being returned as a result of the end users running out of power.

While offering faster benchmark scores I don't see this offering as a legitimate mobile product that manufacturers/end users will be that interested in. Also I will point out here that the geforce 4 Ti 4200 Go is nividias only DX8 mobile offering...... why in hells name wouldn't nvidia develop a different core for the mobile arena that is DX8 complient like ATi has? Nvidia need to get a reality check if they think that this particular offering will help them save face.

On the topic of Anand ..... while in the past there has been many instances where he has shown an unjust bias I don't see that so clearly in this *review*/preview.

I am not horribly impressed with this new mobile part from nvidia.... fact is it really isn't a mobile part, it is simply the geforce 4 ti 4200 desktop part with lower voltage as far as I can tell. I wonder how poor the performance disparity between the M9 part and the Geforce 4 ti 4200 Go part with the equivalent power savings? I am willing to bet the M9 part will hammer it. On a positive note (kind of) nvidia must be working on another better mobile part sense it seems they have put so relatively little thought into this one.

I kind of agree that this is by far the most unbiased review/preview that Anand has done. And I'm sure it has to do with the fact that ATI is now the performance leader, it's in Anand's best interest to NOT piss ATI off. When nVidia was in the drivers seat, I'm sure they (nVidia) went out of their way to let any site they could know just what they (nVidia) expected! Remember all the stink a few years back about nVidia strongarming sites? Well, now nVidia no longer has a stronghold on performance, maybe we will start seeing more "unbiased" reporting on the internet....... But don't bet the house on it! :rolleyes:

Yeah I remember stuff. ;) But I was never too sure if the bias was a result of strong arm tactics or straight out fanboyism on Anands behalf.... But the simple fact of the matter hear is that Anand didn't have too many kind words here for nvidia and the review/preview could only be bias in that they showed benchmarks without even having the card to test. Anand even takes issue with the fact that this is another paper launch.

Actually, the 4200 Go preview was written by Matthew Witheiler. I've generally found his articles to have a much less rabidly pro-Nvidia tone than those written by Anand himself. Maybe that's how they maintain their relationships with the h/w vendors... alternate between different reviewers, each with a different slant to their articles, so that you can't consistently accuse them of being biased one way or the other.

Back