Getting poor results on my system.

TheWallace21

Newcomer
I am running a P4 2.8Ghz on a Asus P4P800, with 1gb of Kingston DDR400 RAM. I am using an ATI Raedon9800Pro with 128mb of onboard RAM. All of my sound and video drivers are up to date. I figured that this system would play everything out there right now really smooth, but I notice a lot of jerkiness in pretty much every game I play, even with the framerate locked in at 60fps. For some reason, I am also getting really low scores in both 3DMark 01 and 03, with 6500 and 3200 respectively. From what I understand, these scores should be much higher. I was wondering if anybody out there might have some kind of idea why I am getting these kind of results. Also, if I posted this in the wrong board, please feel free to move it to where it belongs. Im still kinda new at this.

I usually run AdAware around twice a week, usually clearing out the same batch of cookies over and over again. I was wondering, would a virus scanner have a drastic effect on game performance. On the system resources monitor, I usually never go above 1% of CPU usage.

Me thinks it might be a good idea to turn off my virus scanner and give it another go.

I installed the main set of motherboard drivers when I first put this system together. I didn't think I had to install the AGP drivers as I am using an Intel chipset. I think they were called the GART drivers. I will have to check the CD again.

For starters

1. Does SmartGART show that you're running in AGP mode? If not, then it's likely MB AGP drivers are at fault--reinstall them.

2. Did you force AA and AF on via the control panel by mistake? Turn them off (Application Preference) when benchmarking.

IIRC: Display Properties > Settings tab > Advanced button > SmartGART tab. If you something like PCI compatability mode, try hitting the redetect (or update or whatever) button until it sees AGP, then restart and recheck SmartGART to make sure the setting stuck. If it didn't, you'll probably have to start updating drivers.

I don't have a SmartGART tab. I checked the CD that came with my motherboard, and there is no mention of a program or driver SmartGART. I also reinstalled my motherboard drivers, and there was no improvement. However, I did turn off V-sync, and my '01 score went over 16, and my '03 score went to 5900. I am still getting that jerkiness in most games however. Not a low frame rate, but kind of a hitching that stops the game from playing perfectly smooth.

Alright. I forgot that SmartGART was part of the ATI driver set. I reinstalled my Catalyst drivers, and there it was. It does say that I am in AGP 8x mode, so I guess I am alright there. Now I feel like i've wasted yall's time.

Alrighty. Here ya go, exactly as they are on the list.

atiptaxx, qttask, Nero Check, InCD, evntsvc, CTHELPER, TMTMTSR, mcmnhdlr, mcvsshld, mcagent, mcupdate, blank entry, launchpd, steam, CTLTray, CTLTask, msmsgs, PowerReg Scheduler V3, PowerReg Scheduler.

I can't figure out what the blank entry is.

Back