GeForce GTX 1060 or Radeon RX480

Xbat

Veteran
I going to be buying a new graphics card next week and was leaning towards the gtx1060 but reading about the performance of the rx480 in doom with the vulkan api has put spanner in the works.

I only buy a card every 4 years, so Being future proof is important to me. So what I'm asking is witch card will perform the best when more games start using directx12 and Vulkan?

Vulkan and DX12 benchmarks prove that AMD GPUs have been held back badly by their OpenGL and DX11 drivers. How important DX12 and Vulkan are depends on how popular these APIs will be.

Console ports could easily support DX12, but the developer has to release a DX11 version as well, since DX12 is Windows 10 only. This means that DX12 doesn't save any porting time. Developer still needs to port their game to DX11. Ensuring compatibility of all hardware/OS configurations for two versions (DX11 & DX12) and maintaining two versions of your game costs extra money. It remains to be seen how popular DX12 will become on PC. DX10 was skipped by most developers as it was Vista only. However the consoles back then did only have DX9 feature sets. Modern consoles are DX12 SM 6.0 compatible. DX11 cannot support all the new features.

Vulkan might become the black horse, since it supports Windows 7 & 8 and has similar feature set and performance as DX12. However Vulkan doesn't support HLSL shaders, increasing the porting effort. If we get robust HLSL (SM 6.0 IL) -> SPIR-V compiler tools, Vulkan would become a much more attractable choice for cross platform development. It's interesting to see how things pan out. Doom was a jackpot for Vulkan. IHVs had to prioritize their Vulkan drivers higher, increasing their performance and stability. This benefited the whole Vulkan developer community. If we get a few other big AAA releases like this and/or either Unity or Unreal chooses Vulkan as their main API things are starting to look good for Vulkan. This would obviously be perfect for AMD.

Thanks for your reply. If you had to choose which card would you go for?

I'm talking about the RX480 with 8GB or the GTX1060 with 6GB.I use a 1080p monitor.

I keep my cards for three to four years.

I own a reference rx480.
Bought it out of curiosity rather than need, after running Tahiti GPUs for over four years.
Let me start out by saying that the differences between the GTX1060 6GB and the RX480 8GB seem marginal. Sebbbi made a nice summary, so I'll simply contribute some real life experience and reflections from my time with the RX480.
It's nice. But then I don't try to push it into places where it doesn't want to go. (I've been around in 3D since vector terminals, I don't see the point of chasing the last few percents of achievable performance.)
The reference RX480 is much happier being undervolted from stock. This lowers power draw and thus throttling and thus increases performance from stock. I prefer a card that is quiet and preferably doesn't generate much heat. So that is how I utilize the margins of the product. I drop the voltage to 1.03V, increase the max power by 15% so it can breathe, increase the memory speed which also allows better utilization of its resources. This gives Firestrike extreme graphics scores of 6000 (regular 13400) and Time Strike graphics at 4200. The usual caveats apply.
Overall power draw is still significantly down, particularly in real gaming that doesn't necessarily push the GPU to 100% all the time. (This is even more true if you cap the frame rates to the refresh rate of your display of course!)
Noise is surprisingly low in use, the measurements from open air settings doesn't really translate well for a card that exhausts in back of the cabinet under a desk, plus real longer gaming sessions don't lead to a higher steady state temperature inside the cabinet. Under the conditions which I run it, the card is really nice. It can be pushed higher, but it doesn't pay off with the reference cooler. Throttling and noise increases, and the performance only very modestly so. Maybe this would be different with a good after market cooler, but the results online aren't too encouraging. Again, stay within the comfort zone of the card, and you'll be a much happier customer.
I could live with this card for the foreseeable future, but I will probably upgrade to a Vega product for reasons that are completely irrational. (How could I resist a GPU that is named after my youngest daughter?:D)

Both the GTX1060 and the RX480 are reasonably sensible products, and while you pay some novelty tax at this point in time, prices aren't likely to drop all that much in absolute terms. Go with whatever strikes your fancy. AMD has always played nice with my 27" displayport iMac that I currently use as monitor for my PC box, and I kinda like to support the underdog for market health reasons, but both of those are rather subjective. Oh, and I might go for a freesync monitor in the future.
You can't go far wrong either way. Just buy, tinker, forget, and enjoy your gaming. :smile2:

Last edited:
The GTX1060 could be considered if you were going for a high resolution like 1440p or more. That chip has a lot higher fillrate and that makes more difference in higher resolutions.
For 1080p, the RX 480 with a substantially higher compute throughput will more probably behave better for future games and APIs IMO.

A much higher compute throughput has consistently put AMD cards as being much better future-proof (compared to same-price/same-release-window alternatives from nvidia) ever since the first GCN generation came out in 2012.
You can just compare for example a HD7970 to a GTX680/770, a R9 290X to a GTX 780 Ti and even a Fury X to a 980 Ti in the most recent games to see for yourself.
Unless you're extremely TDP-limited (e.g. you're using a SFX PSU at 300W), then in that case the GTX 1060 might be the only viable option within that performance range.

Just make sure to get a 3rd party RX480, unless you're willing to mess with voltages like Entropy did (or you just prefer blowers).

From the point of future proofing, the RX480 is the better option to buy only because it has 8GB of VRAM. Other than that it has nothing that can edge it over the 1060.

The 1060 is faster in DX11 titles, much faster in OGL titles (see No Man Sky for example), and faster in current VR titles, the fight is also close in current DX12 games and it depends on the title and whether it is supported by AMD or NV. Also if you have a moderate CPU then it is the better option as well. Despite all of that I would go with the bigger VRAM card, games are going on a crazy route of exponential increase in VRAM consumption, and this trend doesn't seem to be stopping any time soon.

I think either card will be fine, but if you're looking at custom cards and plan to extract max performance then I'd suggest looking at a bunch of reviews. The link below is a launch analysis review (3 pages) of the GTX 1060 and with data for the RX480 that has calculated a performance index based on comparative performance statistics from different reviews.

Original
http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/lau...aunch-analyse-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-seite-3

Google translated:
http://translate.google.com/transla...aunch-analyse-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-seite-3

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to go with the Asus strix RX 480. Just have to wait for them to get more stock

You called your daughter RX 590 ?
:p
To be serious though, "Vega" still seems to be used by AMD even as we close up on release, just as "Polaris" was and is. It designates something other than an SKU.
VR isn't quite where I hoped it would be by now. I might wait for a bit before purchase.

:p
To be serious though, "Vega" still seems to be used by AMD even as we close up on release, just as "Polaris" was and is. It designates something other than an SKU.
VR isn't quite where I hoped it would be by now. I might wait for a bit before purchase.
AMD already confirmed the SKU(s) are called Radeon RX Vega, so it's more than just "seems to be used by AMD close to release" ;)
So probably Vega X and Vega

Radeon RX Vega X? Ugh stupid X everywhere still. Next we'll have the Radeon RX Vega XTX XXX Edition from builders.

"- XFX RX Vega X XXX"

Is that a very short program made in a new language that only has a very few instructions? Mostly X, F, R and V as keywords.

Here is an example program in a demented programming language called Unlambda (with a few concepts of theoretical significance)
ftp://ftp.madore.org/pub/madore/unlambda/CUAN/fibo.unl

It does, er, Fibonacci number stuff probably!

"- XFX RX Vega X XXX"

Is that a very short program made in a new language that only has a very few instructions? Mostly X, F, R and V as keywords.

Here is an example program in a demented programming language called Unlambda (with a few concepts of theoretical significance)
ftp://ftp.madore.org/pub/madore/unlambda/CUAN/fibo.unl

It does, er, Fibonacci number stuff probably!

Hey, at least it's got actual words, unless those were comments, unlike this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to go with the Asus strix RX 480. Just have to wait for them to get more stock
did you get it in the end? There is also the RX 580, which is more or less the same.

Back