GBA emu for PSP : VBA for PSP v0.01

hey69

i have a monster
Veteran
GBA_2D0165_L_small1.jpg

A Japanese author has released a GBA emulator for PSP. Right now it plays very slowly, but the author says we can expect faster versions in the future. It appears that roms larger than 16MB aren’t working. Extract to PSP/GAME/VBAPSP, Rename your roms to “ROM.gbaâ€￾ and give it a try. (anyone know the author’s translated name?)

* Operation
x = B
o = A

You can get it in our PSP Download section here.

UPDATE: A File Selector for the GBA Emulator has been created by a Japanese author.
1) Open up notepad and save a blank document as ROM.GBA and make sure you choose all types as the file type.
2) Put your roms (unzipped) into the same folder as the GBA emulator with any name.
3) Open up the file selector and navigate to the rom you want to use and click circle.
4) Hit home on the psp and come out of the file selector.
5) Open up the GBA emulator and the rom you chose will load up

hey69 said:
GBA_2D0165_L_small1.jpg

A Japanese author has released a GBA emulator for PSP. Right now it plays very slowly, but the author says we can expect faster versions in the future. It appears that roms larger than 16MB aren’t working. Extract to PSP/GAME/VBAPSP, Rename your roms to “ROM.gbaâ€￾ and give it a try. (anyone know the author’s translated name?)

* Operation
x = B
o = A

You can get it in our PSP Download section here.

UPDATE: A File Selector for the GBA Emulator has been created by a Japanese author.
1) Open up notepad and save a blank document as ROM.GBA and make sure you choose all types as the file type.
2) Put your roms (unzipped) into the same folder as the GBA emulator with any name.
3) Open up the file selector and navigate to the rom you want to use and click circle.
4) Hit home on the psp and come out of the file selector.
5) Open up the GBA emulator and the rom you chose will load up

YAY!!!! I want to get down on some Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap..... :eek:

I COULD buy a GBA...but...I Don't know....I fear any long term commitment...
>.>

hey69 said:
why would it be killed?
Why would Nintendo let a competitor system benefits from its own system's games ?
I would like Nintendo to get legal action against that ASAP.

you can play gba games on Ngage and dreamcast and ps2 and xbox and PC and so forth... its not like it is an official company who is selling this in the public.
you think Sony likes that people are making homebrew games and porting emus like that?

Ingenu said:
hey69 said:
why would it be killed?
Why would Nintendo let a competitor system benefits from its own system's games ?

Sony isn't developing the software, the Emulator is a homebrew app. They coulb possibly try to make Sony close up any holes that allow the use of any Emulator.....but that would require a Firmware update :LOL: (v1.5 FOR ME!!!). Its not Sony's fault and they should hold no responsiblity for what a recreational PSP emulator developer (Thats the actual title >.> ) does with the PSP. At least Sony is making an effort with trying to snuff out any type of emulation on the PSP (through dissalowing external codes..or unsigned codes...or something).

So yeah...WOOT!!!

Ingenu said:

Why do you want legal action ASAP?

Don't get me wrong, I EXPECT Nintendo to do something but I don't understand WHY you, the average consumer would care. Unless you are a shareholder that is.

Ty said:
Ingenu said:

Why do you want legal action ASAP?

Don't get me wrong, I EXPECT Nintendo to do something but I don't understand WHY you, the average consumer would care. Unless you are a shareholder that is.

Question is...legal action against who? Sony is proactivley trying to plug the holes that allow code like this from being exectuted....Nintendo wouldn't really have a case against Sony since its not Sony's fault. It would be kinda funny playing newly release GBA games on your PSP (Fire Emblem ..... >.>) without any problems...but it will be a while until then (from the description above, this emulator is in it early stages on the PSP)...

Emulator maker, since Nintendo own a patent on emulating portable devices. (Might be restricted to emulating them on home console systems though.)

I don't mind emulating "dead" hardware, but I don't like the idea of emulating currently build hardware.

Anyway everyone can have his opinion and it's just mine.

Ingenu said:
Emulator maker, since Nintendo own a patent on emulating portable devices. (Might be restricted to emulating them on home console systems though.)

I don't mind emulating "dead" hardware, but I don't like the idea of emulating currently build hardware.

Thing is, emulation creaters are rarely touched (unless your a commercial emulator..IE Bleem!). If this does happen, whos to say that they WILL release the emulators source code and random people can program for it....theres no real remedy to this. If this happens, it happens...

Great, now I'm gonna have to download a couple of thousand GBA roms too. :rolleyes:

;)

Thanks Hey69, I saw this over on PSPhacker and was excited about it too.

BlueTsunami said:
Question is...legal action against who?

The creators of this home brew emulator. Nintendo can NOT go after Sony unless they can prove that Sony encouraged this. Well, ok, technically they can but their case would have no legs.

BlueTsunami said:
Thing is, emulation creaters are rarely touched (unless your a commercial emulator..IE Bleem!).

If your statement is true, then we should ask ourselves "why?". I'm willing to guess it's because there is no entity that is willing to try and exercise legal protection. E.g. Sega doesn't sell Genesis hardware or games anymore so right now it doesn't care to spend the $ to shut Genesis emulation.

But Nintendo on the other hand has proven to be VERY proactive in defending their rights by suing everyone that offended them. I would expect them to do so once again.

Ingenu said:

Err, that's an awfully broad patent and not likely to stand up to any sort of legal scrutiny. You can patent specific implementations but not the idea especially when the idea itself has been around for ages (predates the patent filing date which I'm guess that it does).

Ingenu said:

I was just curious why.

I can see Nintendo cracking down on illegal GBA ROMs. Heck look at DVD Decrypter, it got shut down couple of weeks ago. ;)

Ingenu said:
Ty said:
I was just curious why.

What's interesting is that I have no real idea as to why...
I just feel it's VERY wrong, that's all...

weird.

Because they are closed platforms where publishers pay a royalty to the console maker for every unit sold. They are not PCs--which is an open standard. Nintendo, Sony, MS, Sega, Atari, NEC, and every other console maker invest millions upon millions into the platform. A platform they control.

Further, in this situation, Nintendo is still making money on these franchises (re-releasing them or packing them in with other games in the future) and is targetting to continue making money on these franchises with their new home console.

While technically running games you already own on another platform is fairly innocent, we all know for a fact that 99% of ROMs online are being used by people who do not own these games. It hurts Nintendo's new platforms--Revolution and Evolution--if one of their big "sale points" is their back library when people can use play games, typically pirated, on their competitors platform.

The same principles apply if the Evolution (or Revolution or 360) can play PSP games. It deminishes the brand and can lead to possible loss of sales which can adversely affect install base.

The fact Sony (or any other company) cannot come right out and say, "We can play our competitors software" when they can from a technological standpoint is indicitive of these points.

I would not have as much of a problem with emulation if people bought the software although there still remains the issue of unsettling the rights of a closed platform and a companies right to sell software, their product, in any form they want. It is their property and do have a right to distribute it as they see fitting to their business model.

But knowing Nintendo these companies emulating their software and making ROMS available will face a quick and painful death. ;)

Acert93 said:
Ingenu said:
Ty said:
I was just curious why.

What's interesting is that I have no real idea as to why...
I just feel it's VERY wrong, that's all...

weird.

Because they are closed platforms where publishers pay a royalty to the console maker for every unit sold. They are not PCs--which is an open standard. Nintendo, Sony, MS, Sega, Atari, NEC, and every other console maker invest millions upon millions into the platform. A platform they control.

Further, in this situation, Nintendo is still making money on these franchises (re-releasing them or packing them in with other games in the future) and is targetting to continue making money on these franchises with their new home console.

While technically running games you already own on another platform is fairly innocent, we all know for a fact that 99% of ROMs online are being used by people who do not own these games. It hurts Nintendo's new platforms--Revolution and Evolution--if one of their big "sale points" is their back library when people can use play games, typically pirated, on their competitors platform.

The same principles apply if the Evolution (or Revolution or 360) can play PSP games. It deminishes the brand and can lead to possible loss of sales which can adversely affect install base.

The fact Sony (or any other company) cannot come right out and say, "We can play our competitors software" when they can from a technological standpoint is indicitive of these points.

I would not have as much of a problem with emulation if people bought the software although there still remains the issue of unsettling the rights of a closed platform and a companies right to sell software, their product, in any form they want. It is their property and do have a right to distribute it as they see fitting to their business model.

But knowing Nintendo these companies emulating their software and making ROMS available will face a quick and painful death. ;)

Problem is, its single users or coders that are creating thes Emulators...not companies....Some of the most infamous Emulator creators (Omega, Rin...and various others) are known by their aliases and tend to due this covertly. Also, to really avoid any blame..a random coder can realease the source code of the emulator that he/she created so the homebrew community can take it and make it better....so in this case its not as simple as sueing a company...

Back