Gaming with internet hiccups *spawn*

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
turns out Xbox Series S is VERY DEPENDENT on internet connection. On a network without internet connection (because my ISP is currently down)

• - Quick resume between games no longer work. switching between apps and apps with games still work (but game automatically got suspended into quick resume)
  • - Launching a system app (e.g. settings) took a couple of seconds, while launching a game i've purchased took ~30 seconds (probably waiting for connection timeout)
  • - ALL GAMEPASS games cannot be launched (it says i need to login with the account that have valid going gamepass and ea play subs)
  • - Xbox remoteplay no longer work
EDIT

turns out the issue with gamepass is defective by design.

You need to manually tell the xbox to go into offline mode BEFORE the internet went kaput https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...possible/7d78e1c0-217f-4a85-85f8-e845b3fce2b4

Well if it's for gamepass games it's logical, as it needs to check if your gamepass subscription is still active i guess

Well if it's for gamepass games it's logical, as it needs to check if your gamepass subscription is still active i guess

i wonder why MS decided to use that method.
i prefer PlayStation's method of simply saving the active date to the console. so i can play while offline without needing to "enable offline mode" before the internet went kaput. Or however steam handle's offline mode (albeit IME it does not always work properly when being done automatically).

That's an issue with Steam as well.
Or however steam handle's offline mode (albeit IME it does not always work properly when being done automatically).

Steam is the same as Xbox's offline mode, in that you need to be online to go offline (unless they changed it).

That's an issue with Steam as well.

Steam is the same as Xbox's offline mode, in that you need to be online to go offline (unless they changed it).

steam have 3 offline mode (not sure whether they have docs for this)

- online but offline (e.g. when your ISP suddenly went kaput while steam is running)
- auto offline (when you start steam without an active internet connection available, but has not placed steam into offline mode beforehand)
- manual offline (when you manually press "offline" from steam menu)

the auto offline mode does not always work. Thats one of the many reasons why i still pirate stuff despite I've bought them: to be absolutely sure to be able to run the software without internet.

It sounds like very little information is stored locally on the Xbox and it would not be difficult to redesign the authentication so that more information (local copies of DRM licences, GamePass subscription information) is stored locally then even if the Xbox cannot access the internet suddenly, it ought to know when the primary account's GamePass subscription is valid until and which games are valid to be played in GamePass and to what date,

This gives users a grace period to play games if the internet goes out and you can prevent abuse by not allowing the user change the date locally whilst offline.

This gives users a grace period to play games if the internet goes out and you can prevent abuse by not allowing the user change the date locally whilst offline.
Isn't the internal clock separated from the displayed date/time? I thought that what you set as the user is in reality nothing more than an offset based on the internal clock of the system.

Isn't the internal clock separated from the displayed date/time? I thought that what you set as the user is in reality nothing more than an offset based on the internal clock of the system.
Just checked my Series X and yes, it only has settings for Time Zone and there is a toggle for automatically adjusting for daylight saving.
So there is no real scope to trick your Xbox that you have a valid licence for more than 26 hours assuming you live in UTC+14 (Kiritimati Island) and set it UTC-12 (International Date Line West).

i wonder why MS decided to use that method.
i prefer PlayStation's method of simply saving the active date to the console. so i can play while offline without needing to "enable offline mode" before the internet went kaput. Or however steam handle's offline mode (albeit IME it does not always work properly when being done automatically).
Did PSN change that recently? I lost internet for a few days a few years ago and I couldn’t play purchased PSN games.

Is it not set up that way by default for your first PS4 account?

Dunno. Can't remember when I was on PS4. But I do remember needing to hunt down the settings menu to set as home console a few times on PS4 pro.

Maybe the home setting was gone when psn updates their tos? It happens very rarely. Maybe just once a year.

But as long as the console has been set as home, everything works offline, including ps plus games.

While on Xbox series s, I was unable to launch gamepass games

have you set your PS4 as your home ps4? its tucked pretty deep inside the settings.
I believe so. Even if it happened after I switched to a Pro, I’m pretty sure I removed the old console from my account. Guess I could always try an experiment (either turn off my router or disable internet in the PS4 settings).

I’ve heard that disconnecting from the internet before your PS+ subscription expires will let you play PS+ indefinitely. Hope I remember to try that, too, if Sony doesn’t patch it out or tempt me back immediately.

Back