Gamespot & IGN Zelda: TWW Review

casper

Newcomer
Gamespot Score: 9.3

Much has been said about The Wind Waker's cartoonlike, cel-shaded look, which was initially met with quite a bit of skepticism when it debuted some time ago. That skepticism is completely unfounded, though, as this new entry in the series looks absolutely amazing. What seems like a relatively simple look on the surface is revealed to be quite complex pretty early on, as the game begins to show off some of its facial animation techniques. The game's characters are extremely expressive in their motion and appearance, and this adds emotional weight to the game's text-based story line. There are lots of great little touches to the game's look. The game's focus on wind translates into grass that blows naturally, sails that fill with wind when you've pointed them in the right direction, and swirling gusts of wind that clue you in to the wind's direction and force--something that actually factors into the gameplay on more than one occasion. Artistically, The Wind Waker is nearly unmatched, on the GameCube or on any other platform.

But the game is no technical slouch, either. It runs at a pretty consistent frame rate, allows you to clearly see far-off objects and islands with ease, and makes great use of various lighting effects for things like torches and other underground light sources. About the only noticeable bit of weirdness in the game's visuals is some occasional dithering or color banding when you're out on the open sea at night, but even that is relatively rare and stands out only if you're specifically looking for it. It's also worth noting that the game features progressive scan support for those with higher-end displays.

IGN Score: 9.6

There are bound to be differences of opinion and more probably heated disputes over Wind Waker's style. The cartoony presentation shocked gamers when Nintendo unveiled it for the first time and sure enough some long-time Zelda fanatics even swore off the franchise because of it. But whether one's in favor of the graphic choice or not, there can be no disagreement over Nintendo's triumphant execution of it. It is, perhaps, the most beautiful cel-shaded videogame to date, period.

The sad truth is that the mainstream audience may, with no understanding of the technology required to realize the style, shrug Wind Waker's visuals off as primitive. However, players with keen eyes and an appreciation for the art of making games will know that Nintendo has not only created a hugely stylistic world down to every last detail, but also pushed the power of GameCube to do so.

The environments, from the open sea to the dozens of islands that Link explores, are so gigantic in size that it's an achievement in of itself. But the level of clarity that blankets each locale is just amazing. The draw distance is unchallenged by any other game and as such it's possible to look literally miles into the distance with Link's telescope. Ocean waves animate onto sand, birds flock around in the distance, the leaves of palm trees blow around, particles float lazily, and all sorts of characters run about while doing their own scripted thing, all with fluid, cartoon-like motions. But that's hardly all. The models are all detailed and well textured, fitted with self-shadowing and facial animation, too. There are effects like heat-shimmering and huge particle explosions, real-time lighting, depth of field blur, reflections, transparencies, refraction and more. Everything runs fairly constant at 30 frames and the title also supports progressive scan mode. The game is just gorgeous.

It'll be interesting to see how many gamers are turned off by the artistic style. I bet that it probably won't matter for many current Gamecube owners (read: Nintendo fans), but as far as moving Cubes to new owners I think there might be some negative impact.

I think the style is awesome, but that's just beacause I'm an artist for a hobby. I doubt anyone really interested in a fun game would be turned away from the cel shading. All the people that complain about it aren't being resonable imo.

Ozymandis said:
It'll be interesting to see how many gamers are turned off by the artistic style. I bet that it probably won't matter for many current Gamecube owners (read: Nintendo fans), but as far as moving Cubes to new owners I think there might be some negative impact.

a negative impact would be "cube owners returning their console to the shop" What you describe is a neutral impact. :)

GameSpy gives it 97/100, Famitsu says 40/40. It looks like we have yet another solid in-house game from Nintendo. :)

Outside of NBA Courtside and maybe SFA/LM.. Nintendo's done very very well on the GameCube. Hopefully they'll fill out the rest of the year with high-quality titles as they had in 2002. *waits for E3*

I saw about 20 minutes of WW today, I have to say on a technical scale it's quite good for the GC better that expected but would be a bit lacking if on XB or PC. Great particle effects if a bit lacking in textures and geometry.

The artistic style however put off many people looking through the shop, I even heard some even saying "Looks like something for the kids". While people want gameplay over graphics the unfortunate thing is people will be swayed in the first few minutes. Take a look at titles like The sims and GTA3, both arn't the best titles around and yet they sell 10 times the stuff that really deserves the attention.

Jabjabs said:
The artistic style however put off many people looking through the shop, I even heard some even saying "Looks like something for the kids".

Oh no. Don't bring that up over here! Some will try to verbally castrate you for this. ;)

Everyone I noticed playing it loved the look. The only negatives were toward the goffy looking Link's eyes. Btw going to pick mine up today. I've got a friend at Fed Ex. This is the second time he's come thru for me. I also got the SP (platinum) early. I love it. Now I'm not ashamed to play in public areas (restaurant's, bank lines, etc.). I am impressed with it. It's gonna be a hit.

On GBA SP: Had a chance to use one today. Just as I expected. Badly cramped wrists. Also the L and R buttons do, in fact, suck, just as I expected. Guess I won't be getting one of those any time soon.

Tagrineth said:
On GBA SP: Had a chance to use one today. Just as I expected. Badly cramped wrists. Also the L and R buttons do, in fact, suck, just as I expected. Guess I won't be getting one of those any time soon.

But it does look slicker, doesn´t it? ;)

Opinions are subjective..that's for sure. My hands are by no means small but I'm not having any problems with my hands playing the GBA SP. Now I have'nt put in 3 hour sessions with it yet either but so far it's been fine. I like the shoulder buttons. I tap them with the middle of my index fingers. I've also rested my index fingers on the sides of the screen and used my middle fingers for the shoulder buttons.

Now my hands did get tired with the old GBA while playing looong periods with Golden Sun and the almighty Advance Wars (those 3 hour seesions I mentioned earlier). I'll have to see when I get the new sequels.

Ozymandis said:

1 - PS2 = 1,348,360
2 - GBA = 483,261
3 - Xbox = 374,261
4 - NGC = 364,240

sales for Feb, may not have put it in any kind of lead, but if you remember how piss poorly the console sold in Dec+Jan, I would say that is a signifigant increase in sales, being 2003 so far has been completely dry on the gamecube, it would suggest these sales were brought on by an upcoming game.

CaptainHowdy: I wouldn't say "completely" dry.

GCN owners got SOA:L and a few 3rd-party gems already (like Rayman 3) with more to come in upcoming weeks.

Actually I think that the near-Xbox level sales were from the free game deal. That would make the most sense, at least :D

Ozymandis said:
Actually I think that the near-Xbox level sales were from the free game deal. That would make the most sense, at least :D

you know, It actually completely escaped me that the deal existed, dont know why. Very true... I still think zelda is going to boost some, there is a lot of hype surrounding it, the kiosks at the local gamestores are untouchable, sometimes I am tempted to just push the pile of kids aside and play, but I cant bring myself to be a bully when its coming out in just another day or so.

CaptainHowdy said:
Ozymandis said:

you know, It actually completely escaped me that the deal existed, dont know why. Very true... I still think zelda is going to boost some, there is a lot of hype surrounding it, the kiosks at the local gamestores are untouchable, sometimes I am tempted to just push the pile of kids aside and play, but I cant bring myself to be a bully when its coming out in just another day or so.

If nintendo is smart they would repackage mario 64 , zelda oot and mario kart 64 and sell it with the system at 150$. Thats 3 free games and i think most of us would agree that they are tripple a quality games . Its not like they can port these to the gba .

CaptainHowdy said:
Ozymandis said:

If nintendo is smart they would repackage mario 64 , zelda oot and mario kart 64 and sell it with the system at 150$. Thats 3 free games and i think most of us would agree that they are tripple a quality games . Its not like they can port these to the gba .

Back