Gamers nearly reach to 100,000 gamerpoints

Here we have an perfect example of people, who I like to call a gamerscore WHORE! :LOL:
Oh, I freely admit this! :p

I’m just disappointed that no-one at B3D can rise to the challenge! :devilish:

Gamerpoints themself are fairly useless, and indeed is pretty much a epenis thing.
The way I look at it, is that with older games (pin ball, arcade classics, etc.) you used to compete for score (and completion in some cases). With Gamerscore the old playing for score has moved up a level, to not just a single game!

Achievements themselves are pretty good though (as long as they're designed well), it'll make you do things you wouldn't usually do (playng different, completing on harder difficulties etc) and once you do it feels like you're being given something and indeed achieved something in the game.
Test Drive Unlimited, for example, is one game that is very structured around Achiements, with most of the actual goals of the game (beyond driving around and challenging people) all based on an achievement of some kind. This is quite well done.

There is a difference between Achievements and Gamerscore. While they are related, they are different things.

Achievements add replay value for a lot of people who don't care about Gamerscore at all. Achievements are an added reward. You get a little something extra for completing a level or game objective, and people like getting that little reward, even if it isn't actually worth anything. Think of it as a little trophy like you get for winning a sporting event.

Gamerscore is a bit different. Most people really don't care about the gamerscore, but there is a percentage of the population that is highly competative, and will compete with each other for the highest gamerscore. MS loves these people since it requires you to spend money to compete.

Pretty much. Most people could care less what they're overall gamerscore is, I mean really who the hell cares. But achievements in themselves are cool because they give you challenges you might not have thought of, or remind you of parts of the game that you still haven't finished, extending replay value.

btw, anyone with 100k gamerpoints really needs to get a life.

The best part of the achievement system is that it lets you instantly identify if that troll thats spamming that he completed GoW on insane in four hours actually played GoW, and if he actually finished "insane".

=)

Back