Gamers aged 60+ a large and growing segment

will they still primarily target kids and adolescents

But... But... Surely the industry has been moving toward more mature content, with games like Grand Theft Auto and Postman 2 moving away from childish content as embedded in the bad Zelda series ? Surely something like GTA where you have to kick hookers to steal their money or Postman where you rip college girls heads off before peeing on the remains are proof of a mature industry ? Aren't they ?

Problem is you never know what fully counts in these polls. I have a feeling online card games and the like make up a fair portion as well. At least I can see the growing market, as the 60+ group likely had kids who were growing up in the computer/video gaming heydey, grandkids who almost surely have more exposure now (growing up with more "electronic toys" as kids anyway--likely many gifted BY said grandparents), and the leisure time and enough cultural exposure to them to not ignore them on general principle.

You're probably right about that. Most of them are probably playing checkers on yahoo. Then again, I just went and visited the in-laws and my father in-law was playing Soldier of Fortune 2. I was rather surprised when I looked on his bookcase. He had Gta3, RTCW, Mafia Medal of Honor and a few others I was pretty surprised by. The last time I had seen him (a couple years ago) he was strictly playing older turn based strategy games. I guess I rubbed off on him.

Well, shooting people in the head and stealing cars and running over people has a certain universal appeal no matter HOW old you are! ;)

I live in Bubbaville(Jacksonville), which is actually more south Georga than the "retirement village" that South Florida is........

Hehe, doesn't surprise me a bit.
My mom's a die hard GameCube fan at 56! :D

Besides it does wonders to one's hand-eye coordination and keeps the brains fit.

Cheers,
Mac

My dad is 60 years old and recently retired. He's also a die hard FPS fan. He doesn't go for any slow paced "beardy man" games, he says he just wants to shoot things.

I've noticed that my father was playing a couple hours a day playing on a visit. I think a lot of retirees and older folks are realizing that it's a fun way to pass the time and not just for kids. Computers in some regards are getting easier to use and with greater adoption of broadband... they're seeing the benefits too.

Think about all the purchase power they have... amazing no one has targeted them before.

My friends mom played tetris on the PSX and beat it 100%, then she got carpal tunnel syndrome, no joke.

Back