Gamecube Progressive Scan

Yeah, though you will get the same component signal though s-video if you aren't worried about progressive scan. Some people actually preffer interlaced output for consoles since, as long as the display has decent deinterlacer, the only notable difference is that the interpolation of the fields makes for a slightely softer image. Though I personally recomend component cables for the sharper picture, jaggies be damned.

kyleb said:
Yeah, though you will get the same component signal though s-video if you aren't worried about progressive scan. Some people actually preffer interlaced output for consoles since, as long as the display has decent deinterlacer, the only notable difference is that the interpolation of the fields makes for a slightely softer image. Though I personally recomend component cables for the sharper picture, jaggies be damned.

Eh, personally I find a night and day difference between component and svideo on gamecube, even interlaced, though it may depend on your TV. Still, on my 27" 6 year old SDTV, component cables are heads and tails above svideo for interlaced content, as on my friend's brand new 40" DLP. (and then progressive scan is another major step about that for 60 fps games, and not much difference for 30 fps games)

I don't know about s-video vs component yet, but I noticed a huge difference going from regular VGA input to s-video. It totally eliminated the annoying shimmering for me.

Fox5 said:
Eh, personally I find a night and day difference between component and svideo on gamecube, even interlaced, though it may depend on your TV. Still, on my 27" 6 year old SDTV, component cables are heads and tails above svideo for interlaced content, as on my friend's brand new 40" DLP. (and then progressive scan is another major step about that for 60 fps games, and not much difference for 30 fps games)

Yeah, a lot of factors come into play resulting picture quality so I shouldn't have made such a broad statement, I was just getting at the fact that s-video is a component connection as keeps the luma and chroma seprate.

digitalwanderer said:
I don't know about s-video vs component yet, but I noticed a huge difference going from regular VGA input to s-video. It totally eliminated the annoying shimmering for me.
I'm pretty sure you men composite there Dig, s-video would be noticable step down from VGA.

kyleb said:
I'm pretty sure you men composite there Dig, s-video would be noticable step down from VGA.
I meant the normal cord thingy that you get with the Gamecube, the one with the yellow/red/white RCA jacks on it. :oops:

kyleb said:
Heh, yeah the yellow one for video and it is called composite, the red and white just carry audio.
I did know what they did, but didn't know what they were called. (Story of my bloody life right there. :oops: )

So "composite" is the old yellow RCA viddy jack and "component color" is the blue/red/green one?

Yeah, but no "color" needed there, just "component." The yellow plug having all the video information composited into a signal coxial connection, while the red/green/blue keep specific components of video signal seprate.

And s-video sort of half-asses it's seperation and fits between the two quality-wise, a bit closer to the composite than the component side...correct? :-|

Alright, you guys convinced me. I'm definately getting the component cables/swapping my unit.

I'll let you know when I get everything and what I think. Cheers! And thanks for the input!

kyleb said:
Yeah, a lot of factors come into play resulting picture quality so I shouldn't have made such a broad statement, I was just getting at the fact that s-video is a component connection as keeps the luma and chroma seprate.

Svideo is a signal split into components, but actual component video is even further split.
On a good TV, svideo may not look any better than composite as the TV itself is capable of splitting the signal, but component definetely looks better in my opinion. Not to mention that the gamecube component/d-terminal, along with the modded variations like vga and scart, utilize a superior DAC to what the svideo and composite cables use.

Fox5 said:
Not to mention that the gamecube component/d-terminal, along with the modded variations like vga and scart, utilize a superior DAC to what the svideo and composite cables use.
Which means a betterer picture, right?

Back