Gamecube Progressive Scan

Hey guys, I just wanted to get your opinions on something...

I bought my Gamecube after Nintendo opted to remove the component output option due to manufactoring costs, but my TV does support 480p. My question is if the image quality from 480i to 480p is significantly better? Is it enough to warrent the whole spiel I'd have to go through (trade in my Gamecube for an older edition/wait for Nintendo to re-ship the component cables)?

Most of the games I own do support the 480p resolution.

Whadya think?

Kanyamagufa said:

I bought my Gamecube after Nintendo opted to remove the component output option due to manufactoring costs, but my TV does support 480p. My question is if the image quality from 480i to 480p is significantly better? Is it enough to warrent the whole spiel I'd have to go through (trade in my Gamecube for an older edition/wait for Nintendo to re-ship the component cables)?

Whadya think?

Well, depending on the viewing distance and on how good your eyes are, you might or might not see a difference. I do, and having played games in pro-scan (or on PC), now playing in interlaced mode is an eye-sore, cause i can always see the interlacing effects whenever something moves. And there's no flicker-filter or AA that can get rid of that, it's just how interlacing is. It even bugs me on normal TV viewing or DVD - though less pronounced.

Guess you'll just have to try it out.

Kanyamagufa said:

Whadya think?

Hell to the yeah!

I say it's worth it, especially on bigger displays, on my 61" the difference is bigger than RGB vs Composite and that it a alot! If you display is 30" or smaller the difference might not be so relevant.

I say it's not worth it. Go with RGB instead.
Reason?
1. Gamecubes lifecycle is over soon, and Revolution has BC with enhancements, plus progressive out.
2. If you have a decent HDTV, you can set it to show interlaced as progressive (one of the fields are simply buffered). Not quite as good as "real" progressive (horizontal blurring/comping are still visible), but you get rid of the unstable look of the scanlines.

If you can trade it in and get the older one i say go for it, however before you make the trip call ahead and/or check around the net for the Cube compontent cables. Even when the Cube supported 480p I still had to order mine from Nintendo's website. i couldn't find one store that carried them.

Yeah, Nintendo is being a bitch about getting the actual component cables (they say they're backordered till February, but some sites are carrying them...), but acquiring an older GC is no problem at all. All the GameStops near me have a bunch of the older generation consoles, so I'm not worried about that. The hardest thing is getting the cable!

Thanks for your input so far guys, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet, so any other opinions are greatly appreciated.

digitalwanderer said:
No, it's listed on the product page as such:

OIC. I just assumed they were in-stock but slow to ship (hell, Amazon takes a while to ship stuff out too).

Ebay is your best bet then. Prices are roughly the same if not just a bit cheaper anyhow.

Digi was right. Completely backordered everywhere now...

Go figure...

Kinda odd, though. Isn't the GC supposed to be on it's deathbed? Especially with the Rev's backwards compatibility. I know everyone's still waiting for Zelda, but besides that...why was there a sudden demand for the cables?

Kanyamagufa said:
why was there a sudden demand for the cables?
My theory? A lot of people got their first HDTV for xmas.

I have the s-video cables now and I could actually tell a difference 'tween them and the stock connector, (a lot less edge shimmer), so I'm thinking the component ones I'll really notice an improvement. :)

I would try to get in touch with some of these places and ask when was the last time they had any in stock. Or just call Nintendo direct. There is a good chance they don't even produce these anymore.

Kanyamagufa said:
Kinda odd, though. Isn't the GC supposed to be on it's deathbed? Especially with the Rev's backwards compatibility. I know everyone's still waiting for Zelda, but besides that...why was there a sudden demand for the cables?

I dont' think it's a sudden demand. I think it's probably that Nintendo quit producing them a long time ago, and stocks just now have finally petered out.

Back