Game Trailer Roundtable with industry figures *

I'm not sure what your point is, so how about you drop the one liners and explain it a little bit.
Hehe, I'm too lazy today. Basically PS3 is easy to setup/use, and doesn't need extenders and such. Internet browsing is a nice bonus and the ad revenue source. Anyway please elaborate on why KB/M is necessity except for getting PC-like experience. How about browsing Youtube and Gametrailers, or just reading headlines of news websites? Don't you browse internet via non-PC devices such as cellphone?

If Sixaxis can be used as a 3D mouse it's nice, BTW.

I can watch lots of TV shows on demand from the website of our national tv stations, as well as commercial ones, and then there are the game videos, the 1up shows and IGN weeklies of this world, youtubes / google videos, and so on and so forth. In short, there is lots of media to be consumed over the web, and the PS3 and its web-browser are going to help me consume this in the place where I consume a lot of other stuff - on the couch in the living room.

We also have a really nice free Dutch TV guide online, by the way, which looks awesome, and even better in widescreen on a nice HDtv ;)

(Right now though, I'm going to watch one of the two 1up shows I downloaded to my PSP while I get ready for bed. ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all for a web browser in a console, lets just not talk about it as if it's some revolutionary feature that people will fall in love with, it will be useful for a little teeny segment of the consumers.

Welcome to the year 2000 young man. :p

Seriously more and more people will want to get on the internet on their TVs. Like other have said youtube is a good reason. What about Myspace? Have you ever seen how many people get on Myspace and just sit there in front of their screens for hours?

MySpace management may be hard to do in the living room though (but I'm not a MySpace guy). You'll need to type fast to chat with your visitors, so a keyboard and mouse is a must. It might also be a private experience, so you probably don't want people barging in while you chat. So I think a PC works better here.

Personally, I may use it for casual browsing (news, youtube, flash games, family photo management). I will do more interactive activities on my PC (read email, forums, web 2.0 stuff -- not sure if AJAX is supported in PS3 browsers).

It will take time for the web browser to grow up. I like one's suggestion about using the tilt controller for browser controls though.

Personally, i rather get one OS every 10 years, pay for that once and bitch about how crap it is till the next one comes, instead of paying for a new one every 2 years, and still bitch about how crap it is.
Stay with Windows.

Your wishes will come to fruition.

MySpace management may be hard to do in the living room though (but I'm not a MySpace guy). You'll need to type fast to chat with your visitors, so a keyboard and mouse is a must. It might also be a private experience, so you probably don't want people barging in while you chat. So I think a PC works better here..

I see (it feels like millions) of people in college computer rooms filled with like 20 computers on Myspace. You'll see 15 out of 20 computers with Myspace on it. It's crazy man.

Anyway please elaborate on why KB/M is necessity except for getting PC-like experience. How about browsing Youtube and Gametrailers, or just reading headlines of news websites?
The only time I use a KB on the internet is typing either messages here or passwords to log into places. 95+% of the time I'm just navigating with the mouse. If Sony can provide a good controller interface, I think it'll work nicely. Not great for chatting, but certainly good enough for 'surfing'.

The only time I use a KB on the internet is typing either messages here or passwords to log into places. 95+% of the time I'm just navigating with the mouse. If Sony can provide a good controller interface, I think it'll work nicely. Not great for chatting, but certainly good enough for 'surfing'.

Not to mention you could have all your bookmarks setup, so typing probably wouldnt be an issue for casual browsing in the living room (after you type in your initial bookmarks of course). Open up the browser, go to your favorite bookmark, read the news/weather or whatever, and your done. I think youtube will be pretty interesting for showing off clips to friends and family in a snap (I also wonder how the fullscreen button on youtube will scale to the browser window).

Not to mention you could have all your bookmarks setup, so typing probably wouldnt be an issue for casual browsing in the living room (after you type in your initial bookmarks of course). Open up the browser, go to your favorite bookmark, read the news/weather or whatever, and your done. I think youtube will be pretty interesting for showing off clips to friends and family in a snap (I also wonder how the fullscreen button on youtube will scale to the browser window).

It would probably look horrible due to that low resolution on Youtube. But hey I'm still going to watch it on my PS3 every week.

It would probably look horrible due to that low resolution on Youtube. But hey I'm still going to watch it on my PS3 every week.

Good point, it does look pretty bad when stretched. I guess I'm just wondering if its even possible on the ps3 browser.

The PSP's browser does a great job of remembering your login too, so that's promising for the PS3 version. It certainly helps that I never have to logon whenever I check beyond3d on the PSP for instance. Just take it from the bookmark and hit "new posts" ...

i want to add something in regard to the ps3 web browser and the kb/m issue some are discussing.

I still leaning on the 360 side for some games whom catch my attention, but I find the possibilty to browse internet really interesting as some ps 3 defenders state here.
I'm registred here for more than one year, I post very few, it's the same on other forum guitar related where I spend way more time than here. Most of the time I just read, kb/m isn't really an issue for me. it 's the same when i'm watching guitar stuuf on youtube or video google.
So I have to say that the web browsing capability of the ps3 really add something.
But I guess ms will react if consumer find interest in web browsing throught their console.

Hehe, I'm too lazy today. Basically PS3 is easy to setup/use, and doesn't need extenders and such. Internet browsing is a nice bonus and the ad revenue source. Anyway please elaborate on why KB/M is necessity except for getting PC-like experience. How about browsing Youtube and Gametrailers, or just reading headlines of news websites? Don't you browse internet via non-PC devices such as cellphone?

If Sixaxis can be used as a 3D mouse it's nice, BTW.

The both have upsides, standalone vs extender, so I guess we can just leave it at that. Personally I don't see living room browsing going anywhere, but that's just my opinion.

The both have upsides, standalone vs extender, so I guess we can just leave it at that. Personally I don't see living room browsing going anywhere, but that's just my opinion.

It will take off if services like youtube become the norm, and if the system will allow direct downloads of TV shows and movies. Personally I think we're heading there.
Obviously for typing long emails and all that, a keyboard is needed. Until Sony design a system to read our minds that is, but i'm sure that could have very adverse reactions! :p

*imagines little PS5 trying to go through millions of hormone-fuelled sex images in the average 13-year old mind* :oops:

The 3rd part is interesting. I too am predicting a 3 way split give or take a few percent here and there. In the end, it's great news for us!

Ofcourse it'll lead to many more locked threads with a close battle.

The 3rd part is interesting. I too am predicting a 3 way split give or take a few percent here and there. In the end, it's great news for us!

Ofcourse it'll lead to many more locked threads with a close battle.

I just watched this too. Although again I liked it, I also again thought that some of the stuff was very outdated (Sony not delivering on the online stuff, which I think we can start to see isn't going to be true), and with other stuff they were missing some very obvious things (for instance, the longevity of the PS2 isn't just going to come from smaller companies that don't have the budget to develop next-gen games, but also from being able to share development and assets with PSP and Wii games, and vice versa). You can also tell that Gears wasn't out yet at the time of this interview. It's kind of surprising how fast these things get out of date, and I think that GameTrailers shouldn't have held on to them this long.

How exactly is this great news for us - in the eye of a casual consumer that only wishes to support one console of his choice?

Back