Game Informer - Factor 5 Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a strategic bluff at MS.
The 360 looks more like a last gen system now because the Wii and PS3 have motion sensing.
MS would came up with a motion sensing controller before launch if Sony showed their new controller at E3 2005 because MS would think they were behind the Wii and PS3.

You know - I was thinking about that the other day. "Why are all these people abandoning xb360 and rushing to ps3 these days?" And then it hit me. They aren't.

MS Sidewinder Freestyle Pro says hi. I recall reading something where MS stated that they had thought about incorporating the tech into their controller but decided against it for whatever reason.

I would disagree with you.
Look at Apple IPhone. Even though touch screen is out on the market few years already but the IPhone is still considered as next-gen phone. I know they fixed here and there but it's still a technology of the past.

I would disagree with you.
Look at Apple IPhone. Even though touch screen is out on the market few years already but the IPhone is still considered as next-gen phone. I know they fixed here and there but it's still a technology of the past.

Your right. MS may have done motion control pads first, but Nintendo made it popular/mainstream.;)

Julian is, unfortunately, about as much of a platform whore as any developer. He's strangely similar to Itagaki. Some developers you really never want to hear from again, and Eggebrecht is that way for me.

From everything I've seen of Lair I think it looks like crap - both graphically and gameplay-wise.
:rolleyes:

You guys are blowing the HDMI stuff out of proportion. The other guy is right in saying your turning into some sort of neogaf.

Anyways, it's good to read they're now optimizing the game. I hope they manage achieve stable 30 fps by their next showing.

Also in regards to the story, they seem to be going all out. Not something you're used to see with these guys so it could be either really good or TERRIBLY cheesy. Hope it's the former.

You know - I was thinking about that the other day. "Why are all these people abandoning xb360 and rushing to ps3 these days?" And then it hit me. They aren't.

Say hello to blu-ray! There are people (xbox360-HD-DVD drive audience) that are going format neutral on the HD movies front and are purchaseing the PS3 as a cheap blu-ray player. Swing over to avsforums, and other AV forums for case in point.

If Sony really intended to have a motion sensing controller from the start with PS3, why did they generate so much bad press with the extremely ill-received "Boomerang" for so very long before going "SURPRISE! SIXAXIS LOL"?

That boomerang thing was the best evidence that Sony planned something like that [motion sensing] from the beginning and its size and forms also add to that as well.

If Sony really intended to have a motion sensing controller from the start with PS3, why did they generate so much bad press with the extremely ill-received "Boomerang" for so very long before going "SURPRISE! SIXAXIS LOL"?

Personally i think that the boomerang controller is more suited for motion sensing control than the actual sixaxis. I think that it would be nice if sony were to release the old boomerang controller as a limited version.

Julian is, unfortunately, about as much of a platform whore as any developer. He's strangely similar to Itagaki. Some developers you really never want to hear from again, and Eggebrecht is that way for me.

To be fair to him thats his right. He certainly comes off that way. But saying things like "But Microsoft was saying no, 720p, 720p, and so we went with Sony" is bad even for a platform guy. I really respected them back in GC days. Having this level of disinformation coming from a top-notch dev is dissapointing. I was hoping that would be left to tabloids like CNN.

tagrineth said:

1.) To throw of the competiton?
2.) Because it wasn't a 100% certainty that the tech would be mature enough by launch?
3.) It might be too expensive in the long run CELL + RSX + BluRay?
4.) other strategic factors?

I'm quite convinved never any real intention of launching in Spring of 2006, but decided to watch the competition closely (namely Microsoft). I'm sure they took many options into consideration over the years until launch... why is it an impossibility that motion sensing was one of them?

1.) To throw of the competiton?
2.) Because it wasn't a 100% certainty that the tech would be mature enough by launch?
3.) It might be too expensive in the long run CELL + RSX + BluRay?
4.) other strategic factors?

I'm quite convinved never any real intention of launching in Spring of 2006, but decided to watch the competition closely (namely Microsoft). I'm sure they took many options into consideration over the years until launch... why is it an impossibility that motion sensing was one of them?

I certianly don't think it was reason one. Nobody uses bad press to throw off thier competition. I think you forgot #5.

5.) They never intended to include the functionality until they found out what Nintendo was doing. They had been researching it and decided to include it last minute, partially due to not having force feedback and to differentiate itself from xbox 360. This is why it was such a shock to those developing PS3 games.

I certianly don't think it was reason one. Nobody uses bad press to throw off thier competition. I think you forgot #5.

5.) They never intended to include the functionality until they found out what Nintendo was doing. They had been researching it and decided to include it last minute, partially due to not having force feedback and to differentiate itself from xbox 360. This is why it was such a shock to those developing PS3 games.

5 indeed - The tech is certainly not cutting edge so co tand ability should have been well known if Sony were serious about it's inclusion in the planning phases of ps3. For some reason the word duct-tape just came to mind. Perhaps the rubber ducky could be a good mascot.:p

Just read the article. It's rather tepid. He tows the Sony line a bit, but is respectful about it. Mostly just boring and useless. Hardly inflamatory.

So having read te article I must say that the Sony-hate bile in this thread is -ahem- conspicuous.

Justin is just very enthusiastic about 1080p and HDMI. You shouldn't really hold that against him.

I'm sure he is not trying to say that it is the best fit for every game. Just the best best fit for his vision of the types of games he and his company will be creating in the future.

It's like when Kojima says he wants more than 25GB of media space. You should not read as this guy has totally gone bonkers. He is just has a vision for making use of the advantages of a certain techical feature.

He's definitely an audio/videophile, he was big about check mark features last gen and the gen before as well. Didn't his company have Dolby Surround in a SNES game?

BTW, interesting that this and last gen he took about any opportunity to diss Microsoft's system, but he's never really said bad things about Sony or Nintendo.
Kind of interesting to see how the other technically inclined 3rd party Nintendo dev turned out, Silicon Knights. Similar comments about technology and the superiority of the system last gen, but they went to MS instead, and I think their comments have tamed a bit.

To be fair to him thats his right.
To come off as an idiot? :p

Sure, I guess that's his right. But then it's equally my right to judge him based on what he says. I haven't really cared what Eggebrecht has said for years. He's really never impressed me as someone whom I could trust to be unbiased. And since there are more unbiased developers out there talking, why listen?

I would be interested in whether the entirety of Factor 5 is like the guy. I mean, how does one studio sell themselves out to one platform every generation? Does everyone live or die by Eggebrecht's whim, or do they all agree? IMO, the time for platform wars from third parties is over. I think he's still living in the N64 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back