G71 = Rsx??

EndR

Regular
(Didn´t see this being posted. Sorry but it comes from The INQ.. thought it could be interesting nonetheless)

NVIDIA CALLS its 90 nanometre graphic core of Playstation 3, RSX. This graphic chip is set to work at 550MHz and Nvidia can guarantee that a million chips will work at this speed as it's not that challenging at this process level. Nvidia can obviously make G70 work fine at 550MHz but it can not ship millions of those chips, more likely tens of thousands. When it comes to Playstation RSX we have every reason to believe that this chip is already taped out, as Nvidia plans to have G71 in Q1 2006 already. We expect to see some of these cards even before CeBIT in March 2006.
We managed to confirm that we can actually talk about RSX, as it's G71 and vice versa. Sony just wants millions of chips and it can get them at 90 nanometre. When it comes to graphic performance, the RSX can process 24 pixels with its 24 pipelines while an Xbox 360 powered with ATI's Xenos, R500 chip can do no more no less than double, 48 pixels per clock.

The rest is here..
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27463

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be but remember that's the same guy who got about EVERYTING wrong when it came to info about the R520 + he utterly hates Nvidia. We will know soon enough.

Shinjisan said:
The Inquirer really has no shame in showing all their hate for nVidia,Intel,Sony........

Well.. they don´t like MS that much either.. always referring them as "The Vole"..

EndR said:
Well.. they don´t like MS that much either.. always referring them as "The Vole"..

Probably but they seem no more than Ati and AMD cheerleaders,really childish imo.
They're already doing damage control about Nvidia probably beating Ati with GF 7800GTX 512MB...

When it comes to G71 as a graphic chip, Nvidia will get that chip to insane speeds and we expect at least 650 to 700MHz for the cherry picked top of the range.

Cool news for the PC space, but that would also mean there is some room to clock the RSX in the PS3 a bit further than 550mhz.

I personally don't think that RSX and G7x will be the same - certainly though similar on a level. The basic premise the Inquirer is fabricating I don't so much disagree with, but I do think their tape-outs would have been independent events; because let's be honest, even if just a modified G70, the RSX has to have *some* changes to work inside PS3.

Also above I write 'G7x' because Dave has already indicated to us that G71 is a low-end part. The G70-->90nm shrink is going to carry a different designator supposedly, so I find it hard to see how the Inq could have 'confirmed' this news in that environment.

dubyateeeff said:
Cool news for the PC space, but that would also mean there is some room to clock the RSX in the PS3 a bit further than 550mhz.
Not quite. You have alot more leverage with a PC in terms of thermal factors than you do with a console.

xbdestroya said:
Also above I write 'G7x' because Dave has already indicated to us that G71 is a low-end part. The G70-->90nm shrink is going to carry a different designator supposedly, so I find it hard to see how the Inq could have 'confirmed' this news in that environment.
Wouldn't a G71 be a stripped down G70 running at a faster clock. That could be what the RSX ends up as.

Guess you'll have to take MY word for it, but... just about every single word in that article is completely and utterly wrong.
As for public information that would easily prove this article is BS: The G71 will be manufactured at TSMC. The RSX will be manufactured at Sony's fabs. No NVIDIA chip, being manufactured at different fabs, ever had the same codename *and* revision.
The RSX is based on the 90nm refresh of the G70 anyhow, not the G70 or G71. The G71 being the mid-end G7x, afaik.

Uttar

Uttar said:
Guess you'll have to take MY word for it, but... just about every single word in that article is completely and utterly wrong.

Uttar

I thought that was the point of TheInq articles? Discern the truth by reversing the whole article...? If the article says Nintendo will make games for PS3 and X360 and cancel development of Revolution, it really means Revolution is slated to be released in Summer 2006...?

Aren't these the guys who released 7800 benchmarks before the card hit the market that proved to be pretty much right on? I guess it could've just been a lucky guess...

scooby_dooby said:
Aren't these the guys who released 7800 benchmarks before the card hit the market that proved to be pretty much right on? I guess it could've just been a lucky guess...

Copying benchmarks from other sources doesn't count :devilish:

Weren't these the guys that released exact Xbox 360 specs over a year ago? And was spot-on about the 2 skus?

It may not have been them, but I'm trying to remember where we got all that stuff from...

Hardknock said:
Weren't these the guys that released exact Xbox 360 specs over a year ago? And was spot-on about the 2 skus?

It may not have been them, but I'm trying to remember where we got all that stuff from...

WOW! You and scooby name two events and all of a sudden we should look at this news different right? smh not me I'll wait for real info.

mckmas8808 said:
WOW! You and scooby name two events and all of a sudden we should look at this news different right? smh not me I'll wait for real info.

No we're saying things shouldn't automatically be discredited is all. I have no-idea if this news is correct or not. :p

mckmas8808 said:

i never said i believed it! stop jumping to conclusions...

Back