G70 Benchmarks @500/350

Sigh nevermind . You siad something now you don't want to own up to it . That is fine if that is how you want to be

ninelven said:
What did I say, that I haven't owned up to? Looks to me like you were trying to put words in my mouth.
Nope unless you used words that you don't know

(of a person or their behaviour) slightly dishonest; not speaking the complete truth:

- It was disingenuous of her to claim she had no financial interest in the case.

Put into your sentence of

Oh I think it could be a nice upgrade vs. what we've had previously (doubly so since it works with AA), but I would say it is disingenuous to call it HDR.
Your saying its slightly false calling fp10 hdr .

In which i said using that logic its the same for fp16 comapred to fp 32

Yet your not saying that is what you meant . Though what you wrote is then completely diffrent than what you meant thought .

And since this is boiling down to a petty arguement i'm dropping it

So your basing your comments in which you say its a fake hdr by what a developer who admits to not having any experiance with the formats claims ?

ninelven said:
Nope. Just an illustration. "To illustrate my point:"

Are you saying I won't be able to tell the difference between fp10 gameplay and fp16 gameplay?

What I am telling you is that some games wont need fp16 and for those you will get much better performance than fp16 and are able to ad more things to the scene .

Vs where if your stuck with fp16 you allways have to deal with the slow performance.

Idealy based on dean's comments we would have fp 32 as he shows that on current engines he's working on even fp16 fails .

To not call fp16 hdr because it runs out of persicion at some points is just as rediclous as you calling fp 10 hdr not hdr because it too will run out of persicion at some point

Who are you to make this decision on which one should be called hdr

it will be stuck with it , fp10 is a special set up that the xenos has .

Anyway from the articles you linked to me to its really nvidia's fault with misclaiming hdr- since fp16 is only mdr .

So once again my claim still stands . Why are you claiming its not okay for fp 10 to be called hdr but yet you seem fine with fp16 being called hdr when neither are really hdr

Its obvous that through nvidia's marketing really any floating point dyanmic range format will be considered hdr in the 3d accelration

You mean it can't run without fp blending enabled?

No bu then you don't have any hdr on at all. You either use the hdr or you don't if fp16 has to little performance. With xenos you can move from fp16 to fp10.

Yes and no. ILM claims that the OpenEXR format nv40 and g70 support is HDR, whether you agree or not is up to you.
The article you posted me to before said it didn't and now this one does way to go with sources , two places saying diffrent things .

I would say it is borderline (within the constraints of current display technology), but I'd also say that fp16 is significantly closer to true HDR than fp10.

Once again its what you say. I say fp10 is close to tru hdr too . Oh well there we go :rolleyes:

This is getting tiring , there is no point in continuing , you post sources that say diffrent things , you don't really pay attention to any of the conversation .

If a dev needs FP and accuracy over speed, he will use FP16.
If a dev needs FP and can get away with speed over accuracy, he will use FP10.

A dev might also choose to use fixed point 16/16/16/16, 8/8/8/8, or whatever other formats the GPU supports.

The point is, I think it's time to stop bickering and just let the devs make the tradeoffs and pick the right tool for the right task.

Whichever mode they pick, xenos should have plenty of sustained fillrate and plenty of framebuffer bandwidth.

Back