FTL Travel possibilities?

Natoma said:
The lack of advancement during the middle ages was due moreso to widespread lack of education, poor living conditions, and religiously imposed suppression of science than anything else. I'd daresay those conditions don't apply today. :)

Lol...The way you and other liberals argue socio-political subjects, I figured you'd have said..."on second thought....you're right...middle ages we are...." :cool:

to help keep on topic I think this is the paper on which some of the interest is based on

http://www.uibk.ac.at/c/cb/cb26/heim/theorie_raumfahrt/hqtforspacepropphysicsaip2005.pdf

and from what I read this afternoon the main reason to believe that Heim is not making up stories is that his theory predicted the mass of elementary particles correctly which no other theory did so far to that extent from what I read. But as it is very long and includes very very complex math + some personal details from his life, like him living secluded and working on it for 20-30 years + his interest in paranormal the theory was more or less unavailable to, or dismissed by the mainstream physicists so far. Allegedly some physicists of mid 20th century like Heisenberg were initially impressed with Heim as a person but since his seclusion he didn't keep contact so lost any credibility he had. To top it off he was disabled for life while experimenting with explosives when he was young.

Anyhow the idea is based on his predictions and it has not been dismissed yet for good. I guess given this article in the Scotsman it is finally gaining some momentum due to this weird prediction about the possibility of such interstellar travel using a new form of propulsion and utilizing dimension jumps (called parralel space?!? ) when the speed gets at or above 3x10^4 m/s .

That would be weird if this theory is proved true. But universe is weird and we are far from knowing all about it :)

While I applaud any alternative theories gaining ground, and making established scientists think outside the box, there are a few serious problems with the proposed FTL engine and the framework around it.

So, while I think it's certainly worth checking out, if not for more than pondering an alternative view, probably with lots of unconventional insights, there are a few serious problems with it.

For starters, as nutbal said: you can do it, or you cannot. That's pretty much the bottom line. Either the universe allows it, or it doesn't. Period.

Another problem is, with entering an "alternative dimension". To keep it to the point: if it would change the basic physical rules as much as to allow impossible things (in our universe) like FTL, it will kill everyone aboard. People are too dependent on the rules that govern this universe to survive, to be able to withstand others. Although we might be able to come up with a solution to that problem, don't hold your breath. Ask again in a few centuries.

We're not even able to grasp or experiment with the rules that govern our own universe to that degree, let alone an alternative set of rules we cannot experience at all.

And for another one, there are many more of these "warp-drive" ideas, which all offer a likewise solution to the main problem: they think of a way to circumvent the rules of this universe by going outside it and using the rules of another one. All possible and impossible combinations of forces and gravity-folding have probably been offered as possible ways to do just that, by now. And plenty of other things as well.

I think all those ideas are worth to be investigated, especially when they're internally completely consitent, which this one seems to be. It just doesn't confirm to the current consensus. It might be a great set of theories, that help us along, or just nutball ideas. But we don't know until we try and see.

Last edited by a moderator:
DiGuru said:
Another problem is, with entering an "alternative dimension". To keep it to the point: if it would change the basic physical rules as much as to allow impossible things (in our universe) like FTL, it will kill everyone aboard. People are too dependent on the rules that govern this universe to survive, to be able to withstand others. Although we might be able to come up with a solution to that problem, don't hold your breath. Ask again in a few centuries.

We're not even able to grasp or experiment with the rules that govern our own universe to that degree, let alone an alternative set of rules we cannot experience at all.

Weren't there naysayers who said an atomic bomb would ignite the atmosphere of the earth? Or that the human body couldn't withstand the breaking of the sound barrier?

How about waiting on the definitive statements until it's tried :)

Anyone read "Redshift Rendezvous" by John E Stith ? Redshift is a spaceship that uses an artificial blackhole for propulsion, and in order to travel they translate the ship into alternate dimensions where light travels more slowly, so they can effectively move around at the speed of light, and then pop back into our own dimension. It basically takes the plot device of "what if the speed of light was really slow" and then applies it to a passenger liner that gets taken over by a heist gang. It's quite clever in places, even dealing with the issue of unprotected people dying because electrical impulses can't travel around their brains properly, people getting out of synch with ship time due to running fast enough to experiece relatavistic effects, etc.

There's actually an excerpt here.

Natoma said:
Weren't there naysayers who said an atomic bomb would ignite the atmosphere of the earth? Or that the human body couldn't withstand the breaking of the sound barrier?

Very true. We can look back now and explain these apparent breaking of physical rules by saying "well, we didn't understand the rules of universe well enough back then" but by the same token, we know our understanding of the universe is better, but still very incomplete. We'd be very foolish to think that new things won't be discovered and understood about how the laws of the universe work, or how they can be manipulated, in the future.

Then again, there is a solution to going anywhere, FAST. That confirms to any rule we could come up with. And will absolutely work within our own universe. Definitely. The brute force method.

Sure, we might need some more time to be able to pull it off, but it can be done. Certainly. We can do it.

And while not technically FTL travel, everyone aboard would for sure experience it just like that.

So, what's the problem?

Btw, who feels like the Universe itself uses the brute force method much more than anything really cunning? I mean, Suns. 'Nuff said.

DiGuru said:
And while not technically FTL travel, everyone aboard would for sure experience it just like that.

So, what's the problem?

Because maybe when you come back you'd be a several hundred (or more) year old anachronism and everyone you know would be dead?

It's not the same as nipping out for a bit of FTL sight-seeing.

DiGuru said:
Btw, who feels like the Universe itself uses the brute force method much more than anything really cunning? I mean, Suns. 'Nuff said.

No, the universe can be very, very clever and subtle. Sure, they are very powerful mechanisms, but very clever too.

DiGuru said:

why did that make me think of intel...

I still find the quote I put up earlier really facinating...

"there is, according to Heim, no “big bang“ with an infinitely dense energy.
Instead, matter appears only after very long evolution of a world without any physical
measurable objects, which only consists of a dynamics of geometrical area quanta."

The sheer fact his 6 dimmensional equations, which took 2000 pages to explain, compute to produce values withing 1 millionth a percent error to known values is absolutly mind boggling.

Graham said:
The sheer fact his 6 dimmensional equations, which took 2000 pages to explain, compute to produce values withing 1 millionth a percent error to known values is absolutly mind boggling.

There is a theory that people who work within a field tend to be to tied stongly into it's accepted tennants. The really big jumps happen from people at the edge of these fields (or possibly from other related areas of expertise) who are thinking about things in non-standard ways or from unusual angles. They come up with ideas that are initially dismissed or rubbished by the mainstream, and then gradually accepted as their validity catches on.

Natoma said:

Yes. True. I certainly agree to that sentiment. "I'll believe it when I see it", is my personal motto.

But then again, I most often say that when I think it actually has a chance of working as intended. But, on the other hand, I'm wrong pretty often.

So, while I don't hold my breath, being proven wrong would be a very welcome experience to me in this.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Because maybe when you come back you'd be a several hundred (or more) year old anachronism and everyone you know would be dead?

It's not the same as nipping out for a bit of FTL sight-seeing.
But then again, why would the Universe care about that? Just because you want it to be like that?

Back