Free upgrade too Windows XP 64-bit!!

Xenus

Veteran
Supposedly Microsoft is going to offer a free upgrade to windows 64-bit for early addopters of 64-bit systems, when it is released. But this info came for theinq so take it with a grain of salt.

Xenus said:
Supposedly Microsoft is going to offer a free upgrade to windows 64-bit for early addopters of 64-bit systems, when it is released. But this info came for theinq so take it with a grain of salt.

I interpreted it as those people with existing 32-bit licenses can upgrade for free. I'm not sure if the people who simply downloaded the beta are now going to get a free licensed copy of Windows!!

I read it was for buyers of pentium 4 (6xx series, 5x1 series and future parts).
What a shame, M$ just waited for Intel's AMD64 processors ( :) ) to launch XP64. There has been IA64 versiosn of XP and 2003 for long now, and they were developping windows 2000 64bits for Alpha.

Blazkowicz_ said:
I read it was for buyers of pentium 4 (6xx series, 5x1 series and future parts).
What a shame, M$ just waited for Intel's AMD64 processors ( :) ) to launch XP64. There has been IA64 versiosn of XP and 2003 for long now, and they were developping windows 2000 64bits for Alpha.

does that surprise you?

Blazkowicz_ said:

Any idea where I could find more information about this?

I've been running the XP Pro x64 beta and RC1 on one of my Athlon64 systems for quite some time and now that the driver situation is becoming less and less of a problem I would seriously consider such an upgrade. 64-bit XP is starting to look like a smooth and effortless transition.

silence said:
Blazkowicz_ said:

does that surprise you?
No, im sure intel payed MS enough to delay and delay xp64 until they could catch up to AMD. Thats why i make sure to have only amd cpu's in my system and encourage friends and family to do the same.

epic

Xenus said:
Yes, I know but just about everybody owns the 32-bit edition now don't they.

Nope ;) Many people who build their own rigs do not purchase windows but get it from friends/family.

epicstruggle said:
silence said:
Blazkowicz_ said:

does that surprise you?
No, im sure intel payed MS enough to delay and delay xp64 until they could catch up to AMD. Thats why i make sure to have only amd cpu's in my system and encourage friends and family to do the same.

epic

Or for a nonconspiracy theory, maybe MS didn't want a repeat of the initial days of XP were no drivers were available so they delayed it until companies caught up?

BTW, I heard the upgrade is only for XP Pro users and not XP Home.

I have it installed, it's pretty cool, lacking in the driver department, hopefully I have an ASUS A8N-SLI which uses a nForce4 chipset and a GeForce 6600GT video card which both have drivers :)
So everything is working except my second 3COM 3C905C-TW-M NIC, and my Pinnacle PC-TV Rave card.

WinXP Pro 64 is based on Win2003 Server, it's very similar to WinXP, except it's 64bit of course.
Didn't manage to install my anti-virus software, I think it's because it's not a 64bit program.

I wonder will Longhorn be 32bit or 64bit or two versions of it will be released ?

I installed win64 on my laptop, an emachines e6805, I was expecting basically winxp with a slight boost in speed or no change, maybe the video drivers would be not as fast as usual. That was too optimistic, the ATI 64 bit drivers aren't installable. I tried to hack the ATI 64 bit drivers , no luck, they install but the basic windows acceleration is non existant it seems, which makes the OS unusable. Emachines says they won't support win64 on the laptop, ever, and they don't seem to want to offer updated drivers for regular winxp either. ATI says they won't do drivers for laptops because they are so custom. From what I can see the only custom thing is the widescreen resolution of 1280x800.

Basically, I wouldn't expect much, at most it's winxp with a slight speed boost, and given the state of the drivers available, free upgrades might be required for people to bother trying it.

I thought you have to trade in your existing copy of MS XP 32 bit Professional to get the 64 bit OS but then again why would you install a 64 bit os if the machine you have cant run it because your box does not have a 64 bit processor?

suryad said:
I thought you have to trade in your existing copy of MS XP 32 bit Professional to get the 64 bit OS but then again why would you install a 64 bit os if the machine you have cant run it because your box does not have a 64 bit processor?

How do I do that?
Microsoft said there was a site for that but I can't find any info about that besides that it was mentioned on Zdnet.

Back