Free Realms (PS3, PC)

Hmmmm, I thought Champions Online was going to be for PC, PS3, and X360. But just looked and I don't see it mentioned for PS3 anymore.

Regards,
SB

I remember it's delayed to April this year. We speculated that may be they want to add Arc support to the game. Now that Arc has been delayed, I don't know what's gonna happen to Free Realm's target release date.

What do you play in Free Realm ? I thought it's for kids ?

Well, sometimes when I get bored from work, i fire it up and go explore that cheerful world :) ! Went for some exploring missions. The load times are big turn off though, but it won't be for u guys who have a good connection. I am on 256 kbps connection, so :???: !

What is "Arc" ?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29134/Free_Realms_Hits_12M_Users_Looks_To_Expand_To_China.php

Sony Online Entertainment says its free-to-play MMO Free Realms has attracted 12 million registered users -- a number likely to grow if the company's plans to license the game in China pan out.

The publisher notes that its game reached this milestone just after it launched a virtual Summer Camp with various seasonal activities and content (e.g. beach chairs, volleyball nets) added to Free Realms. It's also hosting a free trial membership this weekend, giving players access to content usually reserved for paying subscribers.

Heh, are they going to launch PS3 version in US or not ? I have not seen any E3 report on PS3 Free Realm yet. :devilish:

EDIT:
I have to find something for the little gremlin to do. When he's bored, he'll try to guess my passwords for PSN, google, and other eStore accounts now. He hasn't gotten any yet, but he's actually pretty good at it. >_<

http://kotaku.com/5657070/free-realms-does-the-mac-what-about-the-playstation-3

With millions of players flocking to the PC version, the PlayStation 3 installment is still a no show. Last we heard it was going to be shown at E3, but it wasn't there.

Now SOE and TransGaming are teaming up to get Free Realms running on the Mac platform.

"We haven't announced a release date, but Free Realms for PS3 will be coming soon," said Taina Rodriguez, SOE's senior public relations manager. "The development team has been working to optimize play experience on both the Mac and Ps3 versions."

Given the multiple "no shows", must be a challenge to fit Free Realms on PS3.

I tought they went past it in Gamespot's tour of SoE's E3 booth, this year..
When they tested DC Universe.. or were it The Agency, they showcased - and went past a DCU-booth, or other way around?.. :-/
Not sure, at work now, and video dosn't play here, but I recalled they went past a game I wanted to see... :p

SO, have the plans for Free Realms PS3 been dropped? I was researchiung about kids games today and visited the Free Realms website after almost an year. It says "Coming Soon to Mac" but there seems to be no mention of the PS3 version on the main page at all !

I think if this comes to the PS3, it can do what HOME couldn't as it has games to play along with meeting up and is artistically very very well done. The only problem is that its a BW hogger. Everytime you visit an area it needs to be redownloaded :( ! Even the areas you have visited before. That brings a long winding pause to the whole fun of exploring ! People with speeds more than 2mbps won't mind though, but at 1 mbps the pauses are long......!

WOuld be great if they come out with a disc version or, even better, an option to download the world on your HDD, as buying a disc will remove the "Free" part of the name ;) !

I think if this comes to the PS3, it can do what HOME couldn't as it has games to play along with meeting up and is artistically very very well done. The only problem is that its a BW hogger. Everytime you visit an area it needs to be redownloaded :( ! Even the areas you have visited before. That brings a long winding pause to the whole fun of exploring ! People with speeds more than 2mbps won't mind though, but at 1 mbps the pauses are long......!

The levels don't need to be redownloaded, it's all cached on your computer the first time you enter a zone. Installed/cached size will range anywhere form around 600 mb (for one zone visited (including program files, etc.), up to over 1 GB if you've visited all zones. This was about a year or so ago, so the size may have changed a bit since then.

What has to be reloaded everytime though is characters, custom clothing, custom pets, custom pet clothing, character locations, world state, etc. The more crowded a zone is the longer the load time for that zone.

Regards,
SB

PS Home can use up to 12Gb of storage for caching Home Spaces (configurable by user). It does not support streaming.

Free Realm is supposed to have streaming. 1-2Gb storage should be ok for PS3. The problem may be the main memory.

Yeah, considering every character can have custom clothing, somewhat custom appearance, custom pets, and then custom clothing for pets... I'm not sure how much memory is needed for that. And that doesn't take into account the levels themselves.

The game automatically load balances zones by creating new instances, however. So one way they could deal with it is just have smaller limits on how many characters can be in any one instance of a zone before a new zone instance is spawned.

Regards,
SB

PS3's MMO's have been a complete flop. Prior to this generation we had talk of all this persistant worlds like The Agency and Free Realms and whatever NCSoft were going to produce, all made possible thanks to PS3's yadayada, and it hasn't happened. Yet another example of why it's good never to buy on faith and instead wait to see the goods on the table!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-17-sony-expect-planetside-next-q1-q2

Sony Online Entertainment has offered Eurogamer updates on the launches of three new MMOs: The Agency, Free Realms on PS3 and PlanetSide Next, a working title.

What about Free Realms? Unlike the aforementioned games, Free Realms has already been released on PC, and to great success - 10 million accounts have been registered so far.

"This is in submission at SCEA [Sony Computer Entertainment America] right now," says Smedley of Free Realms PS3. "Once it's done with that, once it's through, we'll be launching it in SCEE [Sony Computer Entertainment Europe].

"If I was a betting man," he goes on, "I'm betting sometime early February it gets launched on the PS3 in SCEA. And probably, and this is a guess, sometime in March for SCEE. And that will use a free-to-play business model on PS3."

Article also talked about Planetside Next and The Agency.

Back