Fox

dee said:
Isn't the BBC publicly funded in Britain (through TV licenses rather than government taxes), thus without the restraints of government funding? What type of controls does the government have over the organisation?

License Fee/Ring-Funded Tax. I'm not sure I see the difference...

True. ;)

The point I was trying to make out was that if license fees really are the main source of income for the BBC (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), then the BBC is not a government funded organisation, but an independent entity.

Heck, it's pay TV!

The point I was trying to make out was that if license fees really are the main source of income for the BBC (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), then the BBC is not a government funded organisation, but an independent entity code

But the government determines the amount of the fee (actually appoints the people who do) and could abolish it tomorrow & privatise the BBC if they so desired.

epicstruggle said:
A commercial news agency is better any day over a state run news agency. They will give what the consumers want, which will at least make people watch the news.

Fox gives what the consumers want.
Al-Jazeera gives what the consumers want.

They knew how to handle consumers in ancient Rome, too: they fed people to lions and the audience rejoiced.

JF_Aidan_Pryde said:
SBS absolutely rocks! :)
They have so many quality programs I don't have enough time to watch them. bah.

Especially their 'late night' movies huh? ;)

In the UK we have to settle for Channel 5 late night movies, and they just aren't the same (mass produced US trash). Otherwise, those lucky enough to have Sky can enjoy the quality viewing which is Men and Motors...

NPR has a liberal slant, but then thats true of much of the academic sector in the World. I have heard long very pointed arguments from both sides, that I would qualify as being fair to each side. Much of my prowar stance comes from discussions from NPR experts who were debating.

I think they do an excellent job of providing an intellectual forum. Which for the most part, is absent from a lot of television media, which is hopelessly dumbed down for the masses and often hinges on catch phrases and irratating repetitious rhetoric.

While you do hear some conspiracy rubish on NPR (say from the likes of Chomsky), thats usually countered real quick by an opposing debator (I also like the format of the arguments/debate).

From what I gather, a large part of NPRs revenues come from private sector fund drives.

As far as other media is concerned...

I very much like the Economist as a magazine.

Also I would characterize Fox News War coverage (the actual hands on in the field reporting) to be topnotch, though the commentary leaves a lot to be desired in terms of being partial.

Speaking of foxnews and sheppard smith, last night he was commending a US reservist for getting up from the computer and his data processing job and picking up an AK47 to serve his country.

That's nice, Sheppard. Here in the states, our boys use AR15/M16s.

I watch Fox, I think it's funny as hell. I don't trust it 100% for accuracy, and I am not dumb enough to just watch/read from one news source to get the whole story. But, what's wrong with offering a slant? Either way? CNN is left, Fox is right, and NPR is the best cure for insomnia out there. If you want just the facts, read the ticker off the AP line.

I watch Fox, I think it's funny as hell. I don't trust it 100% for accuracy, and I am not dumb enough to just watch/read from one news source to get the whole story.

Absolutly! I can't agree more... besides they have the best looking reporters hands down. ;)

RussSchultz said:
That's nice, Sheppard. Here in the states, our boys use AR15/M16s.

Actually, it's an M4 Carbine as the main assuault rifle. Although to a lesser extent there are M4-RIS, M16A2s, or M16/M203 in circulation. The AR-15 isn't even used anymore, just used in a semi-auto civilian derivative today. But, we'll keep talking about how others are ignorant :)

Speaking of foxnews and sheppard smith, last night he was commending a US reservist for getting up from the computer and his data processing job and picking up an AK47 to serve his country

You'd think for a "warmongering idiot" he'd know his stuff better, huh? Then again, he's just a commentator not an analyst. I've seen CNN's Wolf call an F/A-18 a B-52... it happens. It's annoying, but insignificant in consequence in light of some of the comments made by former Generals.

Back