Forza Horizon 2 on the horizon! [XO,X360]

KniQyNs.jpg

Is this a mission? E.g. Get this woman to an orthodontist within 60 seconds.

KniQyNs.jpg

Is this a mission? E.g. Get this woman to an orthodontist within 60 seconds.
hahah, yeah, like the song "On a mission" by Gabriella Cilmi. At least those teeth really shine, orthodoxy of next gen graphics. -sry the bad pun- Maybe after the orthodontic treatment you might fancy her, she'll charm you. Like a extremely attractive female vampire throwing you into a spell.

Well this game has my vote for GOTY. Damn. That GTO!!! God I love the engine!!!

At least she's solid and not a card-board cutout. One of the greatest limiting factors for last-gen weather realism was that high quality rain caused the crowds to turn all floppy and fall over.

WOw, those screens are so damn beautiful ! Its a photo mode? with filters? or does it look like that, cos it looks too real !

Photo Mode, the game looks great but it´s not in anyway on that level.

Eurogamer rated it at 9/10 and from the time i spend with the demo, i think they are on the money.
This game i will have to own and play, i had a lot of fun, imho perfect balance of simarcadish if there ever were one. When the backend steps out you can correct it in a natural way, you feel the loose of grip when the car jumps etc.. And the scenery is beautiful and the cars as well.

I am a bit pressed for money this month, if i weren't i would have bought this game and be playing it nau.

Compared to Forza 5, the loading times are reduced to acceptable (it´s basically streaming everything) and the DLC packages you buy get delivered to your garage, not just opened up in the game.

Of course i haven't had the pleasure of the full game so i have no idea how much DLC there is, and if the real price of the game should include the DLC packs :)

WOw, those screens are so damn beautiful ! Its a photo mode? with filters? or does it look like that, cos it looks too real !

Those are all photomode. Actual gameplay isn't quite as clean (although it's still pretty great by console standards), and the effects (motion blur, etc) aren't as high-quality.

This is a gameplay shot:

fh17.png

And there's a couple more in the post I pulled that one from.

The rainy weather is very impressive. But when the raining has stopped and the roads are still wet - the sun starts shining on the scenery, on the small pools... I guess at that moment the game felt very next-gen to me.

More importantly, this is the first car game in awhile that makes me smile when playing.. I guess the sense of (and actual) freedom plays no small part in the fun factor.

Is it simply having the main ram render the sky that is allowing enough space for 1080p 4xMSAA?

Ill take a shot at answering this albeit with some likely inaccuracy.

Forza horizon uses Forward+ rendering. It doesn't have the footprint requirement that deferred has. It comes at a cost of different penalties like needing to calculate geometry twice.

Forward+ is still forward rendering so it can perform MSAA more efficiently than deferred.

It is imo and ideal engine for Xbox One hardware, as in just a good fit for ESRAM. No footprint penalty, good MSAA, 1080p, decent geometry numbers and great number of dynamic lights.

You can see the slideshow about it here:

http://amd-dev.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wordpress/media/2012/10/Develop_2013_ForwardPlus.ppsx

That's a really great article. Sounds like the developers did a really good job, and also that work was very efficiently shared with Turn 10 on both assets and code. There are some lessons to be learnt here by some other teams I could think of.

LOL edit: stupid iPhone!!! I'll comment proper on the DF thread LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back