Forums only available over HTTPS

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
I've made a configuration change to the forums that make them only available over HTTPS. Connections to the HTTP site will be redirected to HTTPS. I don't know of any client (web browsers, Tapatalk clients on any platform) that won't handle the change gracefully, but please let me know if you experience any problems.

I've made a configuration change to the forums that make them only available over HTTPS. Connections to the HTTP site will be redirected to HTTPS. I don't know of any client (web browsers, Tapatalk clients on any platform) that won't handle the change gracefully, but please let me know if you experience any problems.

TapaTalk might be a little odd. In order to get everything working again I had to remove and re-add the forum via Taptalk.

I updated the Tapatalk config in the forum owner control panel thingy, was hoping that would take care of it. Sorry for the disruption if not, that should be the last major change I make to the server config for a good while.

Once Litespeed gets SPDY support I'm hoping to moving to that protocol. Nice work Rys!

Oh yeah, I posted on the other thread but not here: we have SPDY (and IPv6!) support as well.

Strange. I haven't had any issues with tapatalk at any time since the upgrade and haven't needed to re-add the forum either. Running on iOS here.

Tapatalk WP7 does not work. Re-adding did not fix. Browser also has problems with your invalid security certificate. Can read & post but some of forum buttons are missing.

Tommy McClain

Tapatalk WP7 does not work. Re-adding did not fix. Browser also has problems with your invalid security certificate. Can read & post but some of forum buttons are missing.

Tommy McClain

What invalid certificate? It says its perfectly valid in Firefox, IE, and Chrome on my system.

b3d_chrome.png
b3d_ie.png b3d_ff.png

What invalid certificate? It says its perfectly valid in Firefox, IE, and Chrome on my system.

We're having trouble with this site's security certificate.
It looks like the security certificate wasn't issued by a trusted certificate authority. This can indicate an attempt to fool you or access information you send to the server.
We recommend that you don't continue to this website. Go back to the previous page or enter a new web address in the address bar.

Go back to the previous page
Continue to website (not recommended)
Get more information

Which platform are you getting this on? Is this on a WinPhone 7 phone?
If so, then it's likely an issue with that platform as they're using limited trusted certificate providers or they do not properly navigate the signature trust hierarchy. I have no such issue on Win 8.1 or on my Android Nexus 7 platforms.

Does this still happen if you try running an alternate browser? Does WP7 have a version of Chrome? If not, then Rys will prob have to open up unsecure HTTP. :(

Nothing to really do here but to find out why your platform doesn't have proper trust certificate support.

@AzBat if you download this CA root certificate -- http://www.startssl.com/certs/ca.cer -- and email it to an account you have on your phone, you can install it from there. That should let your phone trust B3D's certificate.

That fixed everything. I'm running Tapatalk on Windows Phone 7. It doesn't support any browser other than Internet Explorer that I know of. I think Windows Phone 8 is the same. I'm upgrading to it pretty soon. Hopefully I won't have any of those problems either.
Tommy McClain

This might be a daft question, but WHY in gods name are you force running a public forum over a secure connection? What is the reasoning behind this? Are there any eCommerce related transactions being run behind every posts people write, because other than that, I can't see a possible reason why this should be necessary or done...

Because your login details and private messages are not anyone else's business.

Back