For Gaming, Which CPU -- AMD Ryzen or Intel CoreX?

So forgive the "have you been under a rock question"
but per dollar ryzen or core-x for a gamer

Only gaming? The 1600/1600x or the 7700k are the safest bets. Depending on your GPU and resolution of course neither may be necessary. x299 is all over the place for gaming due to several factors (throttling, new cache, new platform problems).

You'll also be paying 2-3 times as much for a Skylake-X platform compared to Ryzen. They're HEDT, not gaming.

Yes just for gaming, I have heard rumours that some people use a p.c for other things but I dont believe them.
forgot to consider the motherboards may be a lot more expensive on the intel side
does anyone think intel will bring out a budget version of x299 or is intels strategy coreX high end and a different socketed cpu for mid range?

Last edited:
Yes just for gaming, I have heard rumours that some people use a p.c for other things but I dont believe them.
forgot to consider the motherboards may be a lot more expensive on the intel side
does anyone thing intel will bring out a budget version of x299 or is intels strategy coreX high end and a different socketed cpu for mid range?
Generally speaking I think you'll do cheaper with AMD. If you're coming close to the same price points as intel, you're probably aiming too high.

As noted earlier, mobo will matter a lot in helping you make your selections. Just make sure you get what you want out of it.

does anyone thing intel will bring out a budget version of x299 or is intels strategy coreX high end and a different socketed cpu for mid range?
The x299 is designed and priced for high core enthusiast prosumer. The motherboards start at $250+ for the low end versions. Gaming consumers either look at Z270 or wait for CoffeeLake to arrive.

If you do only gaming, and nothing else then i7 7700K is your best bet for current games. Hyperthreading is already showing some small gains in games, making the i7 slightly better choice than i5 if you have the extra money to spend.

8-core Ryzen could possibly be a better CPU for gaming in the future, but right now four cores at highest clock rate and highest IPC is the best choice. Picking i7 over i5 will make your purchase more future proof as hyperthreading will be better utilized by future games that use more threads.

One thing you need to consider is whether you are planning to do game streaming (Twitch, etc). In this case a 4-core CPU suffers a lot more compared to 8-core CPU:

I personally bought a 6700K when it was launched (it's basically 7700K with 200 MHz lower clock rate). It's a perfect CPU for gaming, but right now I would prefer to have a 8-core Ryzen, because I need to frequently recompile Unreal Engine and lots of shaders. In worst case I lose more than 1 hour for waiting daily. Ryzen 1800X would be much better choice for tasks like these.

@sebbi Shouldn't you have a workstation with 2 processors then? Westmere are cheap as chips right now and that easily gets you to 12 cores 24 threads.

So forgive the "have you been under a rock question"
but per dollar ryzen or core-x for a gamer

Personal opinion:

For the dollar, the Ryzen 1600 has brutal value and future-proofness. This is a 6-core/12-thread CPU that you can buy for close to $200 and overclock up to 4GHz is some ease, when paired to a real cheap ~$100 B150 motherboard.

@sebbi Shouldn't you have a workstation with 2 processors then? Westmere are cheap as chips right now and that easily gets you to 12 cores 24 threads.
8-core Ryzen (1800X) is better for game development than old dual socket 6-core systems (2x CPU + server mobo). You need to consider the price of the 64 GB legacy DDR3 memory that you throw away when you upgrade to modern DDR4 rig. Ryzen's IPC is higher and it has 4 GHz turbo clock which is great for gaming. I would expect compile times to be similar (12 older cores with lower IPC & lower clock vs 8 modern cores). Dual socket isn't working that well in games.

You can get Ryzen 1800X for 429$ nowadays. Two Westmere X5690 CPUs would cost more and be worse in this use case.

Personal opinion:

For the dollar, the Ryzen 1600 has brutal value and future-proofness. This is a 6-core/12-thread CPU that you can buy for close to $200 and overclock up to 4GHz is some ease, when paired to a real cheap ~$100 B150 motherboard.

If you overclock, the value proposition goes out the window with Ryzen 1600 vs Ryzen 1600x.

Ryzen 1600x will boost to 4.0 GHz. OC'ing the 1600 to 4.0 GHz means you've now massively increased power consumption for an equivalent gaming experience.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_1600_review,23.html

That's only an OC to 3.9 GHz. If you can get it stable at 4.0 GHz, the wattage used will go up further. Also, the 1600x they got actually uses less power at load than their 1600 (non-OC) which would lead to 42 more watts being used to OC a 1600 to 3.9 GHz versus a 1600x boosting to 4.0 GHz.

Depending on how much electricity costs where a person lives and how much gaming (or other CPU stressing useage) they do per day, it's entirely possible for Ryzen 1600x to end up cheaper after a couple of years or at the very least it'll end up pretty close due to the very small price differential between those 2 chips. There's a 30 USD MSRP price difference but if I take a quick look at Newegg, the price difference is only 25 USD, and that's with the 1600 currently on sale.

I initially was thinking of going for the 1600 due to how well it overclocks. However, after seeing the small price differential to the 1600x and seeing the power consumption of the 1600 when OC'd to 1600x levels, for me the 1600x ends up being the cheaper CPU if I keep it for 2 years. My CPU is generally loaded for 9 or more hours per day (some gaming, but mostly other stuff), which means in less than 2 years the 1600x is cheaper for the same performance.

For light CPU use, an OC'd 1600 might still be slightly cheaper though. But that's hard to say as their 1600 OC'd was using 10-15 watts more at idle than when it was at stock clocks.

Regards,
SB

I'm sorry to say I forgot where you're located Davros, but for me it's Ryzen all the way....and not just because of my hopeless love for all things ATi, I mean AMD. I can drive less than an hour to my local MicroCenter and pick up a Ry5 1600 w/spire cooler, B350 mobo, and 2x8GB of PC2400 for $366.32us after taxes. Can't touch ANYTHING on the Intel with that kind of price/performance that I know of.

The u.k
YJtPqSW.jpg

GRFPKOg.jpg

Last edited:
OC'ing the 1600 to 4.0 GHz means you've now massively increased power consumption for an equivalent gaming experience.

It doesn't have to run at 4.0GHz all the time, with power states (pstates in BIOS) you can set the maximum and minimum voltage/clock your system will run at, that's my setup on the 1700:

1phl0e.png

Back