First Look: PSP and Xbox 360 Interactivity

I dont like the look of the GUI. I'm hoping the PS3 GUI at least has multiple windows for viewing media.

You'd think so since Cell is supposedly so good at decoding multiple video streams...

gui is great . It has a tabing feature as you can see and it has an easy file struture that you can see . This looks like it will be the default for any usb device pluggedi n . Thus you have 1 way of viewing things. Very easy to learn

Tabs would work well if you could open multiple tabs like in Firefox. Say I want to have tabs open for Video1...5

It doesn't look like you can do this though.

why would u wnat to switch from video to video in a tabed mode ? I can understand mabye wanting 2-4 videos on screen at ocne . But even then there is no proint to it .

Anyway we already know that u can make it so it only takes up half the screen thus have a video chat while in kameo and setting up another game with your friends

From the looks of things it looks like you can have your video options (video 1-4 ) on the right and the video in a smaller form on the left. Make it full screen then exit full screen and pic the next

I'm rather disappointed with the look of the dashboard. It looks unspectacular to say the least, with the power of xenos, I'd expecting hovering semitransparent hologram-like windows, bells and whistles, particle effects galore etc. While a step up from PS2's disaster of a built-in GUI, this is feckin boring.

Don't they have ANY imagination over at MS HQ? Well, at least they had Jeff Miller write a lightsynth for them... AND it'll see the light of day too! :D

Gudon you can bring this up while you are playing . I.e if your playing pdz you can bring up the menu partialy . I highly doubt something of the graphical intensity your speaking of will be able to be brought up quickly and wont hamper gameplay .

Because it's always running in the background they were given a 4MB footprint for the entire app including graphics and sound effects. The final version is 3MB, it's theme-able, you can choose a wallpaper from any of your pictures, the backgrounds are animated, and the music visualizer is from Jeff Minter. It has media center extender, dvd playback, music playback from local HD, USB devices, or networked PC's, can rip audio, do photo slideshows, voice and/or video chat with mini games, configurable alerts, manage live services like credits, accesses the live marketplace, manages save games, music, and downloads, can stream video via the internet, configures the system, etc., etc. I think it's great, and can't see what you guys are expecting from a dashboard. Oh well.

It wouldn't have to bring up the entire menu IN-GAME, but I'd certainly want something visually stimulating and impressive when navigating the menus with no game running.

And why would it need to keep the entire dash constantly in memory and running? That makes no sense. The xcpu has a MMU; USE IT and page the dash in from disk when needed... Jeez.

I'm not sure that the 360's functionality with the PSP is the cool aspect here, since really it's just reading it as it does any other USB mass storage device, but I do like seeing the promise of device interactivity being fulfilled. I mean of course one knows it's easy to do and that it's coming, but it's more satisfying to see it in action like in these pictures.

your right its not interesting for psp functionality . Its just nice to see what all usb devices will look like . Hooking the psp up is just a fan boys dig at sony .

Guden Oden said:
I'm rather disappointed with the look of the dashboard. It looks unspectacular to say the least, with the power of xenos, I'd expecting hovering semitransparent hologram-like windows, bells and whistles, particle effects galore etc. While a step up from PS2's disaster of a built-in GUI, this is feckin boring.

Don't they have ANY imagination over at MS HQ? Well, at least they had Jeff Miller write a lightsynth for them... AND it'll see the light of day too! :D

Why do you want flashy stuff instead of a usable GUI. There is no reason to make a "flashy" GUI if you can't use it. Apple who is a company that "masters" in GUI design could do "flashy" effects in the GUI but they do not because its meanless or draws attention away from what people should be looking at.

very nice info

thanks for the pics

amazing what they were able to do with 3 megs of data.
I like the functionality and the ability to pull the dashboard up at anytime. that inability was a big drawback in the current Xbox, not to mention that the devs now only have to hook into the existing LIVE Dashboard rather than wasting the time writing their own LIVE interface for every game (as they do now).

It means a reliable and constant feature set across all games for LIVE as well as having messaging and game invites and whatnot, available during game play or movie viewing or while using the other media connect functions.

a688 said:
Why do you want flashy stuff instead of a usable GUI.
Why do you erroneously believe that flashy stuff means useless GUI? You sound like one of those fools who asked, much like you, why people wanted good graphics in games instead of fun gameplay.

One doesn't exclude the other you know.

There is no reason to make a "flashy" GUI if you can't use it.
Strawman argument.

Apple who is a company that "masters" in GUI design could do "flashy" effects in the GUI but they do not because its meanless or draws attention away from what people should be looking at.
It would seem you haven't seen macos X in action, particulary not the most recent version... :rolleyes:

Guden Oden said:
Why do you erroneously believe that flashy stuff means useless GUI? You sound like one of those fools who asked, much like you, why people wanted good graphics in games instead of fun gameplay.

One doesn't exclude the other you know.

Strawman argument.

It would seem you haven't seen macos X in action, particulary not the most recent version... :rolleyes:

LOL...exactly. I'm actually using OS X right now on an eMac that I just acquired ( >.> <.<). Its visually very stunning (compared to XP). But it does require a higher spec PC (EDIT: if OS X was on x86, it would have to be higher spec...heh). Its very nice and I LOVE the dashboard (which I was using on XP, named ObjectDock..its a fricken resource hog).

I also find it funny that Microsoft is being reserved with the UI of the 360 (this possibly isn't even the full blown UI....), the makers of XP and what seems to be turning out with Vista...you would think that Microsoft would be a little guns-a-blazing with that part...guess not. If there going for the clean, easy to use look...than I fully understand that and actually sorta happy there doing that. I hope Sony goes the other way though....PS2's UI setup was horrible.

The dashboard is nice but not spectacular in that MS way.

Apple have better designers.

I suspect the PS3 UI will be an advancement on the theme their on with first the PSX (the expensive do everything box) and then the PSP which is also on that line but better and faster supposedly.

I do appreciate the cleanness of the xbox360 basic dashboard. I rather take a boring looking, non cluttered design than some "l33tnUclearToXikn30nAli3n" that's hurting the eyes.

I would like there was a bit more "3D effect" to the design, as it is it is a bit too "flat" and thus boring. But as long as it gets the job done, and I'm sure it will as MS does have some experience designing a GUI ;)

The design can be personalized with skins though, so it should be customizable to some extent.

One thing I do not like in the UI look is the "sucking in" design they are using for the tabs. IMO MS has taken this sucking theme a bit too far... the console itself "sucks", the GUI "sucks".. I'm glad they didn't make the controller sucky :)
It makes the whole thing look a bit claustrophobic.
Ther's only so much sucking a man can take.

Edit: I think the subject of this thread should be changed to something like "First (and last) look: PSP and xbox360 interactivity" as there really isn't much else PSP and xb360 interactivity will be beyond that, or better still "First look: USB mass storage device and xbox360 interactivity""

Last edited by a moderator:
Back