First Blu-ray disc driver burner Sony BWU-100A

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_r...ipheral/storage_sol_others/release/23478.html

The new drive(model BWU-100A) supports up to 50 GB of data on BD-R (write once) or BD-RE (rewritable) discs or up to four hours of high-definition video using HDV 1080i on a BD-RE 50GB disc. The new drive is capable of burning a full 25GB disc in about 50 minutes.

The internal drive features an IDE (ATA/ATAPI) interface and standard 5.25-inch form factor for easy installation inside a PC.

Panasonic has one available since a few months ago, nothing new there. But the prices still suck, it's about 800€.

_xxx_ said:
Panasonic has one available since a few months ago, nothing new there. But the prices still suck, it's about 800€.

Well, in perspective, that's not THAT much... I remember when the first CD or even DVD writers came out, they were much more expensive than that.

london-boy said:
Well, in perspective, that's not THAT much... I remember when the first CD or even DVD writers came out, they were much more expensive than that.

Yes, but the price of media usually drives the adoption of the technology. How much is a burnable BRDisc at the moment?

When the drive comes to around $500 and the medium gives a better price ratio comparable to what DVD-R is retailing out now. I will definately get one.

I have about 100 DVD-R's burnt in 2 spindles. Cant wait to reduce that to around 10 to 12 Bluray Discs.

Look forward to the day, that 100 DVD-Rs are on 1 Disc! Whatever that standard is! :LOL:

When it comes to the Desktop, I want Bluray to win the format wars. Unless of course, HD-DVD bring out a 50GB disc and a suitable burner.

I'll get the one that can get to the $30 price point first ,and you can grab a spindle of 50 discs for about $25.

_xxx_ said:
Skrying, that could take some 2-3 years ;)

I know, and that's why I'm not really worried about the formats right now and why no one else is for the most part (yeah yeah, that excludes all of you! ;) ).

Frankly, I'm quite happy with DVD and couldn't care less, it's just the tech as such I'm interested in a bit.

_xxx_ said:

This is the first PC component - an actual disc drive for storing files from your PC. IDE interface and everything.

Panasonic has a Blu-Ray Recorder. Their machine is more like something you move video from your HD cam directly on to - probably from some AV in jack. It's not for storing arbitrary files.

inefficient said:
This is the first PC component - an actual disc drive for storing files from your PC. IDE interface and everything.

Panasonic has a Blu-Ray Recorder. Their machine is more like something you move video from your HD cam directly on to - probably from some AV in jack. It's not for storing arbitrary files.
The one he refers to is probably this drive (and drives by its OEM clients such as Buffalo et al)
http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/21/panasonic-lf-mb121jd-blu-ray-pc-drive-shipping-10-june-for-850/
It's on sale now since the last month around 90,000 yen
http://kakaku.com/prdsearch/detail.asp?PrdKey=01254010802

Back