firmware

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
Why does Windows freeze sometimes when I insert a corrupt/damaged/invalid cd media?

I know the OS should simply overrun such problems and show an error message. I believe many device firmwares aren't smart enough to state/adress these stressful situations. However, they keep reporting to the OS that data is still coming.

Is this a firmware issue?

Error handling on disk devices seems shite in windows in general, particulary regarding optical units. In win95 the whole OS bluescreened if you ejected a CD while it was being read for example and there's still major MAJOR hiccuping if read/write errors are encountered etc.

It's just bad crappy implementations all around I think, both in the disc devices themselves and the OS. Nothing to do anything about except attempt to copy the corrupted CD to a new blank disc and use that one from now on. It probably helps to use a high-quality optical drive too as these might get past the error without having to trigger windows' crappy error handling. Plextor izza da best I seem to recall, but NEC isn't bad either, maybe others too.

Guden Oden said:
Error handling on disk devices seems shite in windows in general, particulary regarding optical units. In win95 the whole OS bluescreened if you ejected a CD while it was being read for example and there's still major MAJOR hiccuping if read/write errors are encountered etc.

It's just bad crappy implementations all around I think, both in the disc devices themselves and the OS. Nothing to do anything about except attempt to copy the corrupted CD to a new blank disc and use that one from now on. It probably helps to use a high-quality optical drive too as these might get past the error without having to trigger windows' crappy error handling. Plextor izza da best I seem to recall, but NEC isn't bad either, maybe others too.

I remember those blue screens during the brave Win95 days. Have you experienced similar problems using WinXP? What I don't understand is that such errors should be easy to handle by an OS... I mean, if it can't read after "n" seconds. throw error message (abort/retry).

Windows XP has improved alot over previous Windows versions and is very stable in my opinion and shouldn't hiccup or freeze that easily.

mito said:
I remember those blue screens during the brave Win95 days. Have you experienced similar problems using WinXP? What I don't understand is that such errors should be easy to handle by an OS... I mean, if it can't read after "n" seconds. throw error message (abort/retry).

Windows XP has improved alot over previous Windows versions and is very stable in my opinion and shouldn't hiccup or freeze that easily.

ahhh...eternal question : why the fuck they cant use brain while coding down there in Redmond?

answer?.....my guess is as good as anybody elses.

Back