Firefox pre-cacheing

hoom

Veteran
Hi guys,

I got speed limited for the next 2 weeks :cry:

I happen to know one of the Network Admins at my ISP & got him too look at my usage break down for one of the days that shows a usage spike & their logs say I downloaded 1GB off their FTP server.
I definitely visited their FTP server that day but I just poked around, found nothing interesting & left.

Is there any way that Firefox pre-cacheing could have downloaded 1gb from their FTP server when I was just browsing around?

i dont think firefox pre-caches it post caches
and it generaly caches images ect not huge binary + data files
ps: what size is your cache set at

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't happen to be using some sort of "speed" enhancer such as FasterFox or tweaked settings?

1 Gig? That's be some sort of crazy pre-cache.

They should give you a break down of what it was you supposedly DL'ed.

No fasterfox or other speed up program.
Have a 500MB cache set.
The breakdown they gave was per IP with that IP being their FTP server.

Aside from my friend telling me that apparently they are having issues with phantom usage (though having a look at the usage provided this is the only one I can really question), pre-cacheing is the only thing I can think of to explain that usage (because he is pretty sure that my usage is looking legit)

are you on wireless and someone leeching your bandwidth ?
+ what exactly do they have on their ftp server ?

Well, they have SFA on their FTP server :cry: I was hoping for a local copy of Ubuntu 7.04 since I live in a quite international bandwidth limited country.
All they had was some old ISOs & patches for some games that I don't have.

We do have WLAN but with WPA & MAC filtering.
I've never seen any indication that we are getting unauthorised PCs access it.

On general principle, I'd be really surprised if I had someone hacking the WLAN & they decided to leech a GB of data from there on the same day that I visited it.

Back