Firefox & DNS problem

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
I guess I'm having an DNS issue with Firefox.

I just reinstalled Windows XP sp1, everything is fine, including my adsl internet access.

The issue is that sometimes Firefox will return a "Page not found" when I access a WWW page. If I try the second time, it'll find it.

The same will not happen with IE 6...

Hints?

Last edited by a moderator:
mito said:

Are you using your ISPs webcaches? I've only see that kind of behaviour when DNS (or that webcache that does the lookups) is busy, and sending you page not found. It's either then grabbing it into the cache or is slightly less busy a second later.

Or is your ADSL dropping the line and not coming back up fast enough to service the request? Second time around, the line hasn't had time to drop the line.

I'm not using any ISP webcaching option. I just configured the adsl modem as usual, everything was installed fine.

mito said:
I'm not using any ISP webcaching option. I just configured the adsl modem as usual, everything was installed fine.

And you know for sure your ISP doesn't use transparent web-caches? It's just I used to get the exact same thing when my ISP used to use transparent webcaches - it's a cache miss.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
And you know for sure your ISP doesn't use transparent web-caches?

I am sure because this has been happening after I reinstalled winxp. Before that I didn't notice the problem.

My winxp sp1 installation is as clean as you can get... ;)

i get that also sometimes... but i also notice that usually i get that from sites that are "slow" to reach....

its prolly DNS issue, but it could be also that sites you are trying to access have limited bandwidth.

mito said:
I am sure because this has been happening after I reinstalled winxp. Before that I didn't notice the problem.

My winxp sp1 installation is as clean as you can get... ;)

Can you give us the exact error? "Page not found" (404) is not ususally a DNS issue. "Site not found" would be DNS.

I issued an ipconfig /flushdns command. So far no errors... Still monitoring.

Bouncing Zagablione Bros, if the error shows up again I'll post it here.

Back