firefox 3

You can already group tabs by opening a new window and saving them if you need the group later. It's a nifty feature but it seems like putting something that already exists inside a single browser window rather than inventing a new way to navigate tabs as Mozilla proposes.

You do have multiple windows the now (the old way)? :) Also auto session saving is much easier. :)
I hope you'll still be able to kill a hung Acroreader tab from the taskbar in Win7.

I hope you'll still be able to kill a hung Acroreader tab from the taskbar in Win7.
They've already started sandboxing off plugins into their own thread(s) since 3.6.something. Only some so far (flash, quicktime, firefox), but it's supposed to be everything in FF4.

I always hope it works. :)

I couldn't close the tab by mouseclicks on the tab bar, but the taskbar worked - I use FF4 b2.

You can check the dom.ipc.plugins.enabled and (specific overrides for the individual ones) dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.plugin_dll variables to see if they've gotten around to Acrobat reader yet.

Do yourself a favor and don't let acrobat reader open pdf's in your browser

Do yourself a better favor and don't use Adobe Acrobat Reader. Instead use one of the alternative apps.

Do yourself a better favor and don't use Adobe Acrobat Reader. Instead use one of the alternative apps.

Every time I have the misfortune of having a pdf opened by Adobe Acrobat, I wonder why does it suck so much? :devilish:
Honestly, the people whom made the pdf format have probably the slowest viewer in existence.

Yeah, one of the killer features in Chrome is the pdf-support. Hopefully we get a similar support to Firefox.

my PC was having great untold freezes, I feared for its hardware stability.. but freezes were due to moving hundreds megabytes from swap to memory at once :), and/or the other way.
I've reached the limits of my 1GB swap file and have increased to 3GB since then (how nice, no reboot required).
this under XP 32bits, with 2GB ram.

firefox.exe has a VM size of 1.4GB currently, what with all the dangling tabs full of useful info I leave building up over several weeks and the ones I'm constantly adding when searching for stuff :LOL:
for the first time I feel inclined to upgrade to 4GB, solely because of that one browser.

I have an Opera browser open now as well, for looking up some stuff without suffering the firefox crashes or useless high CPU usage. but I don't doubt Opera would grow to 1GB if given the chance.

now merely having great hi-cups when changing winamp songs

under Windows I handle pdf files with the "open with" feature, and use Evince as the reader.
this way it works predictably and quickly, and the same as under ubuntu. that buys me comfort and tranquillity.

external app means the pdf is immune to browser crashes as well, and less interface/tabs cruft.
an evince mozilla plug-in would be a nice option, but really I'm wary of the browser crashing the pdf reader, not the other way around.

now using firefox 4.0b2, after a fake antivirus virus forced me to have a new installation of windows, and because opera have failed to run after windows updates. (weird!)

impressive! so far it no longer permanently holds 100% of a CPU core and my computer feels fast again.
it's buggy of course but for small UI stuff (wanted to add the "new window" button, it went off-radar)
excellent looking interface (on windows classic appearance w/ "slate" color scheme)

I had fears it would be a non-standard looking piece of shit like google chrome or windows media player or $random_antivirus but instead it feels like a more native version of Opera's recent interfaces.
very similar to Opera 10.60 minus the little annoyances I have with that one (bad middle scrolling, animation when closing tabs)

Perhaps this should split off to a Firefox 4 thread?

Anyway, AppTabs looks like a nice improvement in tab handling, albeit seems rather overshadowed/made redundant by TabCandy.

Beta 4 has Tabcandy included and I like it. :) Unfortunately it opened separate groups for new tabs before I went in there and moved them into one group. I think that was the cause of crashes I got with many tabs open.

Back