Financials for the big 3 graphed from FY2000

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
Thanks goes of course to Seece for compiling these numbers into graphical form.

Updated.png

Edit: Updated with latest financials. We can see Sony made quite a handsome profit in the last quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised at how little Sony made during the PS2 years and that FY11 is the first time all 3 have been profitable at the same time.

But.. Where exactly are these values derived from? MS financial reports don't break down Xbox data alone.

The MS numbers take into account all of EE right ? Zune , kin , windows mobile and the like ?

I'm surprised at how little Sony made during the PS2 years and that FY11 is the first time all 3 have been profitable at the same time.

But.. Where exactly are these values derived from? MS financial reports don't break down Xbox data alone.

What the other guy said.

The MS numbers take into account all of EE right ? Zune , kin , windows mobile and the like ?

Yep.

You could also say that Sony incorporate a few more things now that they're networked devices division.

So now we can see the full effects of the razor/blade model in the early years and the subsequent recovery of both Sony and especially Microsoft. We can also see the fall from grace Nintendo has experienced given the fact that it is actually behind Microsoft for this financial year.

We can also see how that compared to Nintendo, Sony barely made any money over their period of dominance inspite of the fact that they held an even stronger position in the market relatively. It makes me wonder if their price cuts could have been interpretted as anti-competitive?

Please note: I hit myself on the head with an AA battery and it hurts.

Yeah, it makes me wonder what Sony is doing planning to sell PSP2 at a loss.

And yeah, hardcore game consoles have never really on the whole been very profitable to date.

Yeah, it makes me wonder what Sony is doing planning to sell PSP2 at a loss.

That depends on which conflicting opinion you take as gospel. However I suspect they might draw the line at breaking even, I don't think their feet feel ready for another bath in cold red ink.

And yeah, hardcore game consoles have never really on the whole been very profitable to date.

However i'm sure IBM, Nvidia and AMD all laughed all the way to the bank. :devilish:

It really depends on who/when you ask as well, with all those dirty Live revenues Microsoft might actually pay back their Xbox 360 in spades before the next generation and that Live revenue will still be giving them cause to smile well into the next generation if things go well.

Sales.png

So now we can see the full effects of the razor/blade model in the early years and the subsequent recovery of both Sony and especially Microsoft. We can also see the fall from grace Nintendo has experienced given the fact that it is actually behind Microsoft for this financial year.

We can also see how that compared to Nintendo, Sony barely made any money over their period of dominance inspite of the fact that they held an even stronger position in the market relatively. It makes me wonder if their price cuts could have been interpretted as anti-competitive?

Please note: I hit myself on the head with an AA battery and it hurts.

Wait what?? Nintendo was actually making more money with the GC than Sony did with the PS2 despite the fact that the PS2 raped competition in market share and GC had the lowest share??? Unbelievable :oops:

Wait what?? Nintendo was actually making more money with the GC than Sony did with the PS2 despite the fact that the PS2 raped competition in market share and GC had the lowest share??? Unbelievable :oops:

Nintendo also had the handhelds bringing in money. At quick glance more green is under than over the line, though getting better, red looks about even and when I look Nintendo colums, I get horny... and I don't even like their products :)

At quick glance...

At the end of March 2010, Sony were just under $2b down overall, Microsoft an unhealthy (just shy of) $6B down and Nintendo $21B up. That's over the same timescale (PS2 launch) as the chart Squilliam posted.

Strange to think that, even before the release of the Wii, Nintendo have been pretty much always the winners.

At the end of March 2010, Sony were just under $2b down overall.

Heh those juicy Nintendo colums apparently clouded my quick glance accuracy :)
Yeah all in all those numbers are quite amazing. I wonder how that would look if streched even further back to say PS1 launch and maybe throw in Sega as well.

At the end of March 2010, Sony were just under $2b down overall, Microsoft an unhealthy (just shy of) $6B down and Nintendo $21B up. That's over the same timescale (PS2 launch) as the chart Squilliam posted.

Strange to think that, even before the release of the Wii, Nintendo have been pretty much always the winners.

It helps a lot that I don't believe they ever used their console as a loss leader in an effort to either increase market share or move more software.

While loss leader strategy can work (PS2), it's also extremely risky (Xbox, X360, PS3). Although X360 looks like it'll end up being another success for the loss leaders. Xbox will remain a failure, and PS3 is likely to be a failure in that regard. If it lasts 10 years it has a chance to become net profitable, but I'm not sure if Sony can or wants to wait until 2017 to launch the next PS.

Regards,
SB

It helps a lot that I don't believe they ever used their console as a loss leader in an effort to either increase market share or move more software.

While loss leader strategy can work (PS2), it's also extremely risky (Xbox, X360, PS3). Although X360 looks like it'll end up being another success for the loss leaders. Xbox will remain a failure, and PS3 is likely to be a failure in that regard. If it lasts 10 years it has a chance to become net profitable, but I'm not sure if Sony can or wants to wait until 2017 to launch the next PS.

Regards,
SB

You know there can be overlap with consoles. New console being more expensive than the old one and so on... PS2 has continued to sell quite nicely after ps3 was launched. There is no reason to assume ps3 sales would end the day ps4 is launched. PS3 can probably sell to developing markets for quite a long time even after the sales in western countries have practically ended.

Fiscal Year 2011? What?
And why is there report for Q3 for Sony, when the report will be shown tomorrow?

Because its easier to update the graph alone and when this graph was made was just before the Sony financials.

Because of the fantastic Wii sales, any nuance in the sales of the other two is somewhat lost. It would be nice to see a graph without the Wii so the details of the other two consoles isn't scrunched into 15% of the graph....

I'll ask him.

Update: He says he'll make one after Sony releases their financials.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking that, but the chart says Sony and not SCE. PS2 must have been raking in the dough a la Wii, and all that money got sunk into the rest of the business. Goes to show how some of Sony's divisions have struggled.

I was thinking that, but the chart says Sony and not SCE. PS2 must have been raking in the dough a la Wii, and all that money got sunk into the rest of the business. Goes to show how some of Sony's divisions have struggled.

What about the MS? Is that for the whole company or the specific division?

Its definately SCE and Microsoft entertaiment division

That's the way they report it. MSFT starts their fiscal year in the summer of the previous year. I guess Nintendo and Sony start theirs in the spring.
Are You sure? Because on Sony's site its described as FY 2010
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/er.html

It depends on the company.

Some companies go by "Fiscal Year Ending XXXX" while some companies go by "Fiscal Year Beginning XXXX". Or maybe a little easier to understand is that what year is used is determined by either the year the financial report started or the year the financial report will end.

So for Sony they go by "Fiscal Year Beginning XXXX" whereas Microsoft goes by "Fiscal Year Ending XXXX".

It's only confusing until you start looking at the dates encompassed by the financial reports.

Regards,
SB

Back