Final Fantasy XV [XO, PS4, PC]

Another quick comment as I finally have time to start a new game.

Is it me or is it very disconcerting to see graphics that look really good but then to run into things that just really stand out as a sore thumb as they look incredibly unrealistic. A case in point is that I just met Cid's granddaughter Cindy and while she looks mostly fine, her breasts looks like someone stuck plastic attachments to her chest. They don't move, at all, and thus whenever the Cindy model moves in the game, it just stands out in what are otherwise fairly immersive graphics.

It's jarring and disconcerting. Especially when clothing has movement, her chest moves with her breathing, lighting is relatively well done...and then those unmoving solid lumps of plastic on her chest. It's obvious they wanted you to look at them, but then it ends up ruining the impression rather than being impressive. It'd be the same effect if say the left side of Noctis' coat was physically animated, but the right side was stiff as a board. It doesn't look right. My fiancé noticed it at the same time I did, so it's not just me (or just a male thing).

They again, maybe they really are just plastic enhancements on her. :p

Regards,
SB

Last edited:

Is it me or is it very disconcerting to see graphics that look really good but then to run into things that just really stand out as a sore thumb as they look incredibly unrealistic. A case in point is that I just met Cid's granddaughter Cindy and while she looks mostly fine, her breasts looks like someone stuck plastic attachments to her chest. They don't move, at all, and thus whenever the Cindy model moves in the game, it just stands out in what are otherwise fairly immersive graphics.

It's jarring and disconcerting. Especially when clothing has movement, her chest moves with her breathing, lighting is relatively well done...and then those unmoving solid lumps of plastic on her chest. It's obvious they wanted you to look at them, but then it ends up ruining the impression rather than being impressive. It'd be the same effect if say the left side of Noctis' coat was physically animated, but the right side was stiff as a board. It doesn't look right. My fiancé noticed it at the same time I did, so it's not just me (or just a male thing).

Regards,
SB

Maybe in a new added plot twist she is a robot? :runaway:

her breasts looks like someone stuck plastic attachments to her chest. They don't move, at all, and thus whenever the Cindy model moves in the game, it just stands out in what are otherwise fairly immersive graphics.

they were animated with physics like toned-down versino of dead or alive boob physics in the old videos. probably SQEX disabled it for some reason for the release version.

EDOT: the NPC still have boob physics

Regards,
SB
They need an option like in DOA5 for different levels of titty shakeage. Maximum Shake.

Also just ran into an interesting graphical bug. When entering Galdin Quay as the sun was just starting to rise. All my characters skins turned black. The skin shaders and everything were still working, but their skin just turned black. I'm guessing the shadowing system went completely wonky for some reason.

7U4uwVr.jpg

Spoilering because the image is semi-large.

Regards,
SB

Also just ran into an interesting graphical bug. When entering Galdin Quay as the sun was just starting to rise. All my characters skins turned black. The skin shaders and everything were still working, but their skin just turned black. I'm guessing the shadowing system went completely wonky for some reason.

7U4uwVr.jpg

Spoilering because the image is semi-large.

Regards,
SB
that is awesome ROFL

From computerbase:
"The problem has now been fixed and HairWorks only cost performance if the effect is visible in the image."

"HairWorks and two other GameWorks effects are more or less optional. You improve the graphics, but the game looks good without it. But this is different with Turf. Turf changes the appearance of grass in the game massively. If turf is active, each blade of grass is represented by several polygons, so that each blade of grass can react to wind and interaction with the player. In places there are up to 10,000,000 polygons in the image."

PC vs. PlayStation 4 Pro
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/133727

See for yourself how well the High End AO works at the bottom left. The objects fit very well into the surroundings and the stairway looks credible.

Last edited:
PC vs. PlayStation 4 Pro
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/133727

See for yourself how well the High End AO works at the bottom left. The objects fit very well into the surroundings and the stairway looks credible.

But what PC hardware is running the game with those settings at 4K and at what framerate?
VXAO alone brings the performance on a GTX1080 from 72 to 58 FPS, a 19% fall at 1440p.

(Edit: resolution was missing)

Last edited by a moderator:
But what PC hardware is running the game with those settings at 4K and at what framerate?
VXAO alone brings the performance on a GTX1080 from 72 to 58 FPS, a 19% fall.
Yeah VXAO in every game has been incredibly performance costly for what you get, although as a positive looks like FF XV has the best implementation to date in terms of visual quality.

It's interesting that NVIDIA made HFTS and VXAO available on AMD's Vega cards, they were previously only available on Maxwell and Pascal cards. Now the entire GameWorks library is vendor agnostic maybe with the exception of very few PhysX/ApeX effects.

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-03/final-fantasy-xv-benchmark-test/2/

Well, the pessimist in me just interprets that as no one wants to enable those effects when playing games because of the performance hit. So enable it for more hardware to make sure you win benchmarks by making sure it runs horribly on the competition hardware. Especially since it's a black box and developers may not be able to optimize it for all hardware if they wanted to depending on the license they sign. And NV definitely aren't going to optimize it for competition hardware or even their own older gen hardware.

Even with the 1070, I have absolutely no interest in enabling any Gameworks crap. Hell, most of the time it feels like NV purposely don't optimize it for their own hardware (older gen) just to try to make people upgrade to the newest gen.

Bleh. I miss when NV were an underdog and were consumer and developer friendly by embracing open standards and providing source code for their effects to all developers. Now they just use their position to try to bully the industry and consumers. It's a shame.

Regards,
SB

I'm getting tired of the blatant lying about system requirements. Demo ran fine on an i3-2120 and RX 550. I highly doubt the actual release requires more than that.

Also, I think I've figured out what triggers that bug I got with the black skin.

The game has a wonky short transition between daylight lighting and indoors type area lighting to simulate the eye's adjustment to going from bright light to low light. You can see this in Galdin Quay in the afternoon when you go into the "hut" area. The above shot I took happened when a cutscene triggered during this transition. I think it just happened that the time of day (sun just starting to rise) may have affected where the transition occurs to coincide with the cutscene trigger.

The end result was that everyone's skin ended up being black during and after the cutscene. Going into full sunlight restored the proper skin color but going back into the "hut" area made everyone's skin black again. And this remained until I left the area entirely.

If you think the screenshot I took (from an automatic in game photo) was weird, you should have seen the cutscene. Since it was just as the sun was starting to rise, everything was dark. Combine that with everyone having black skin and the cutscene was mostly just floating eyes, teeth, and barely lit surroundings and some slight effects from the skin shaders. Wish I had taken a shot of that happening. :D

Regards,
SB

Well, the pessimist in me just interprets that as no one wants to enable those effects when playing games because of the performance hit.
These effects are getting adopted on a relatively rapid pace by developers considering their limited installed base. HFTS and VXAO have been features in 6 games so far, HairWorks is in 6 as well, Turf is in two. Ansel is still proprietary and is featured in a whooping 24 games with even more on the way! Support among graphics enthusiasts is high, you only need to read the topics on Resetera to know about people's excitement for VXAO and in FF15. Enthusiast PC players yearn for stuff like this because it enhances their games even more, despite the cost of performance.

Well, the pessimist in me just interprets that as no one wants to enable those effects when playing games because of the performance hit. So enable it for more hardware to make sure you win benchmarks by making sure it runs horribly on the competition hardware. Especially since it's a black box and developers may not be able to optimize it for all hardware if they wanted to depending on the license they sign. And NV definitely aren't going to optimize it for competition hardware or even their own older gen hardware.

Even with the 1070, I have absolutely no interest in enabling any Gameworks crap. Hell, most of the time it feels like NV purposely don't optimize it for their own hardware (older gen) just to try to make people upgrade to the newest gen.

Bleh. I miss when NV were an underdog and were consumer and developer friendly by embracing open standards and providing source code for their effects to all developers. Now they just use their position to try to bully the industry and consumers. It's a shame.

Regards,
SB
Did you try the Turf option?

Did you try the Turf option?

Considering my 1070 can't even maintain 60 FPS at reduced settings at 2560x1600, I'm not touching Gameworks effects with a 10 foot pole. Especially after seeing the performance hit they can induce in benchmarks.

They are a nice checkmark for marketing, but I don't know a single person in RL that uses them. Even my friend with a 1080 Ti disabled all Gameworks effects after trying them out.

Regards,
SB

Tested: Denuvo DRM has no performance impact on Final Fantasy 15: https://www.pcgamer.com/denuvo-drm-performance-final-fantasy-15/

OK, first impressions...

Absolutely crappy port. No proper mouse support in the menus. You're better off using the keyboard to navigate the menus. What is this? The 80's? WTF is wrong with these people? What a pain to mess around with settings.

[edit] Now trying to do keybinds...and WTF? Console-itis here in a big way. Attack and Sprint on the same button? Ugh. Also by default it's the same button as Select and Use. /sigh.

Bad PC port.

It's so surprising as FFXIV has a really great PC version. And then you have this crap.

Regards,
SB

I'm not interested in the game itself but the engine seems to be good on PC. I didn't like the visuals on consoles but it looks very good here. Of course not as well adapted as it is typical for a Ubisoft PC Version where there are countless Options.

Regards,
SB

I think GameWorks is great. :devilish:

Last edited:
Shadowlibs is good, I think it only adds HFTS on Noctis and it looks really good. Everything else, meh. Even VXAO doesn't make much of a difference, turf looks just bad with aliasing and sub-pixel crawl all over the place (not to mention ghosting). I can appreciate the more complex shading and grass interaction but not when it comes at a cost to image quality and temporal stability.

Edit: At native 4K

"Normal" grass in motion:
noturfrnpka.jpg

Turf in motion:
turfm3pj8.jpg

Last edited:
Back