Final Fantasy XV [XO, PS4, PC]

If any of the UE4 games currently in development looked remotely as good as the stuff in the new FFXV trailer, they probably would have trouble "hacking" 1080p as well.

As for me: I'll always accept a softer image for the sake of asset quality, lighting, etc.
I'll wait for their final resolution come release, other wise it's just a huge tradeoff to me and not worth it personally.

Some gifs i made from the high quality trailer
ClutteredExaltedAdouri.gif

http://giant.gfycat.com/ShortContentArcticfox.gif
http://giant.gfycat.com/ImpassionedIncomparableAfricanbushviper.gif

The game in full 1080p as is in the trailer, looks god damn stunning, but it's ultimately misleading to the customers for what the actual product is in its current state. If the final code keeps the res and everything shown here then it would no doubt be easily one of the best looking open world game or game ever.

The game in full 1080p as is in the trailer, looks god damn stunning, but it's ultimately misleading to the customers for what the actual product is in its current state. If the final code keeps the res and everything shown here then it would no doubt be easily one of the best looking open world game or game ever.

Maybe it is the PC version...

They already showcased Luminous engine running on a PC rig and Dx12

I am sure this wasn't built just for that demo alone. I bet we'll see FFXV on PC and in Dx12 some months after the console release.

Er please no, if they can't hack 1080p then it's a pretty valid reason to move on to a better engine. Can't stand the 900p blurriness in the Duscae demo.
I'd hate being a resolution junkie.

FFXV looks fantastic for an open world game with a dynamic day-night cycle while most (if not all) of its lighting is done in realtime.

As I commented on EG back then they had UE license for some years so it just make perfect sense that they are using it and as I said Luminous wasn't even ready when KH3 or FFXV were showed.
We know FFXV has been carried over to Luminous from Ebony, I believe that was the name of the engine, while KH3 switched to UE4 but they don't say that they will abandon Luminous or even suggest it.
SE has no doubt put a lot of money and time into Luminous and so it would be really an illogical move to abandon it now, especially because it's not broken, more likely FF future titles will use Luminous while other games like Dragon Quest and KH3 will use UE4.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, my point is exactly that, i would love to see more games on the Luminous engine. Problem is we see too many japanese devs switching over to UE4 and if even inside SE studios are doing that you can't deny that it is more than a bit alarming.

FFXV looks fantastic for an open world game with a dynamic day-night cycle while most (if not all) of its lighting is done in realtime.
Nothing wrong in preferring the native res of your tv for proper scaling and sharpness, after seeing games like TW3, Batman AK and especially Horizon, this in 1080p with its current graphics settings shouldn't be impossible on the PS4 at least.

TW3 doesn't look anywhere near as good as this. Batman looks great but has fixed nighttime lighting. Horizon is a good example but you won't get that level of optimization with a multiplatform engine.

Don't get me wrong, my point is exactly that, i would love to see more games on the Luminous engine. Problem is we see too many japanese devs switching over to UE4 and if even inside SE studios are doing that you can't deny that it is more than a bit alarming.

Why would that be a problem or alarming!?
UE4 is an excellent engine and has proved to be very "adaptable".

Last edited:
TW3 doesn't look anywhere near as good as this. Batman looks great but has fixed nighttime lighting. Horizon is a good example but you won't get that level of optimization with a multiplatform engine.

Are you saying that in-house engines always deliver better results than license ones?
I ask because I am ignorant and I find it's an interesting argument.

Spin-off thread: "What are the advantages of a in-house engine vs license engine?

Alarming for Luminous, if UE4 is easier to develop games for they might switch to that completely. SE doesn't operate like EA, where everyone and their mother has to use the in-house engine, that means if devs want to use UE4 instead of Luminous because it's easier to use then they will do just that. I just think it's a shame, because this engine is very promising and i would love to see more games developed with it.

Why would they spend the resources building the Luminous engine (I can't even imagine the total cost of doing that) just for one game? Talk about waste of money, they could have built it on UE4 to begin with.

Horizon Zero Dawn is an Open world game with a dynamic day-night cycle with volumetric area light and light probes for GI at 1080p. And I don't think it is an ugly game...

Last edited:
Are you saying that in-house engines always deliver better results than license ones?
I ask because I am ignorant and I find it's an interesting argument.

Spin-off thread: "What are the advantages of a in-house engine vs license engine?
No, I said that first-party engines are usually more optimized than multiplatform engines.

Back