Film framerate

I was playing around with the 72hz thing powerdvd9 has and wow.. do not want! Even on the lowest setting (of 2) it really does make it look like a cheap home video.
I would think you'd need some dedicated hardware to properly increase a frame rate of ~24Hz material to 60+. I honestly can't see a CPU-only/CPU+Standard GPU system doing anything particularly useful. <shrug>

Also, what are you using to display a true 72Hz signal?
I believe in 120hz tvs so there is less judder when doing pulldown but not in inserting frames to make it look smoother and more lifel ike.
If it's doing black frame insertion (i.e. mimicking CRT displays) then you may stand some chance.

I was playing around with the 72hz thing powerdvd9 has and wow.. do not want! Even on the lowest setting (of 2) it really does make it look like a cheap home video. I believe in 120hz tvs so there is less judder when doing pulldown but not in inserting frames to make it look smoother and more lifel ike.

Where about is that option ? I can't get PowerDVD to playback as nicely and smoothly as PS3 DVD Playback.

Yes, but it's actually not that hard to do anymore. It's much like B-frames in MPEG video, which only record the stuff that moved.

Instead of only extracting that from the next frame, you also extract it from the current frame and interpolate both. Every fast or multi-core PC should be able to do that in real-time (it gives the second core something useful to do), and it can be accelerated by most current videocards, with shaders if they haven't got the dedicated hardware. And most do.

How it can been accelarated by the video cards ? You mean through DXVA like with H.264/x264 decoding ? If you know the procedure to do it, some links or software, please share it. :)

It's not that bad at the DLP theater in town... I think that screening had a poorly adjusted or crappy projector.

I guess it was just a bad setup in that theater. Today I saw Wolverine in digital format, and it was much better in this aspect - I could spot the judder a few times, but it was pretty subtle; can't really say if traditional film projector would have been smoother or not.

At my local theaters, you have to pick which little thing bugs you less. One, a film using theater, has a tendency to make the picture a little jumpy, just enough to where a slow moment in an action film or an entire drama will showcase that effect.

As for the other, the DLP theater I mentioned earlier, they cut off the edges of the picture on all four sides.

I prefer the film theater, even if the DLP one looks better(Clearer picture and no film grain, which in the right situation can drive me nuts.)

Back