Fifa & pes 2010

deeFive

Newcomer
Well both demos are out now what are people think about them, please dont turn this into a PES (or FiFa) sucks thread, i would just lke to know what and how people are feeling about this years games.:D

Well, I found pes even more like fifa in the past & fifa like pes 'past'. A great paradox. In particular imho the ia enemies is again really terrible in pes 10. And the graphic of fifa seems worsen. Yeah, very strange.

Fifa 09 was the best footy game ever made. Fifa 10 is better.

PES has been going downhill since 07\08 (at this time, EA bought all the talent that made PES so good to begin with)

I played both.

I think FIFA is a better representation of the beautiful game and betters PES in any feature, well except graphics I would say which might be equal. PES graphics have improved.

Seriously, Konami need to make a new engines (animation, physics, AI etc) from scratch. It still feels like a port from PS2 game and doesnt feel next gen IMO.

I played both.

I think FIFA is a better representation of the beautiful game and betters PES in any feature, well except graphics I would say which might be equal. PES graphics have improved.

Seriously, Konami need to make a new engines (animation, physics, AI etc) from scratch. It still feels like a port from PS2 game and doesnt feel next gen IMO.

I think the problems above mentioned not regard simply the engine, but more the konami incapability to achieve these features.

I definately prefer PES over fifa. Playing against another human is simply more fluid and fun to me. Feature and tech wise fifa wins out but the game to me feels more scrappy and less fluid in terms of the way matches play out.

I've pre-ordered both but, being sensible, was trying to decide which to cancel. Having given Fifa a quick blast on the demo I rapidly deleted it.

However, despite being a long time PES fan, the new PES demo did nothing for me. I don't mind how it feels (and they both feel very different) but I was watching some of the player AI and was very disappointed. Probably a deal breaker for me. Mind you it's been a while since I've been committed to a footy game so maybe my expectations have changed.

Damn shame I deleted the Fifa demo - I think I need more time with it to make a final decision. Hmm.

Looks like FIFA10 will have a club mode, like NHL10.

http://www.eafootballworld.com/en_GB/clubs/fifa

I want to play OTP games with real players, not created ones like EASHL.

Only hope they've improved the game-launching so you don't have a 5-minute counter in the session and then another 5-minute session in the position-select screen while waiting for everyone to click in.

Oh and curious about Road to the World Cup and World Cup editions which inevitably will come the first half of 2010. Sometimes the gameplay on those editions are better than the regular game released for that year?

i have spent some time with both of them now and i think i prefer PES, i mean fifa looks great and all but i like the way the players in PES seem to have more mass, i seem to be able to have a more phyical game in pes that fifa, but at the same time fifahas now come to the end of it path of being a clone of pes4/5 (it quite impressive how it feel like old pes when you play it) but pes seems to me more like ho i think football should work with reguard to thing like passing, closing down, dribbling and team work.

that said not sure about the new pentlty sub-game.....

I've tried both demos for hours and I don't think I'll go back to PES this year. I'll only buy FIFA10 as it stands.

The main things I like about FIFA includes the animation system, physical contact simulation, better control over player movement and passing. The whole array of online features and extensive licensing are also nice.

PES2010 has certainly improved a lot in graphics, even though I don't particularly like the super high contrast style. I think the exaggerated contrast is a trick to avoid the "lighting look flat" problem people have with many games. In this game, that contrast makes various players look like they have bandages around their head. :D

PES2010 does have it's kind of fun though. Being able to run down the flanks with ease to cross (top player difficulty), while not good for conveying a sense of realism, is fun in a way. For me, attacking through the middle is disproportionately hard compared to going down the flanks. When I play the demo, I don't need to trouble my mind by surveying the field for attack opportunities. I just run down the flanks unless a good opening elsewhere thrust itself into my awareness. I'd happily play it every now and then if someone else decides to buy it. :p

The best thing in Fifa 09 and now in Fifa 10 is how they managed to capture the unique feel of a lot of the players. They have their own animations, and their own skills.

For example, Kaka has very good ball control even at high pace. You can utilize this and actually "dribble" while running at high pace.

The physics systems in Fifa have become quite good, since its based on physics and next to no prescripting like in older Fifa games (07 and ealier). It makes for a more realistic experience. Also like how the game is much more physical than older Fifas, strenght and player physique can play a big role in a game, if you know how to play

Ok, I picked up FIFA 10 exclusively to play online with my brother. We wanted to play Pro Championship but you need at least 3 players. I guess we're looking for a couple guys that would be willing to play extremely casually and not throw a fit when we lose. You know, we kind of suck, so it'll definitely happen a lot.

I haven't played PES, but FIFA 10 is proving a truly excellent game. The player movement and results are much better than any footy game before. We're getting great passing, amazing shots (FIFA 9 made it very hard to score from any distance with low level teams), and the whole thing feels more satisfying. Ball mechanics are pretty realistic. Placing passes works pretty well too - the game in general seems to do more what I want without quite so many 'what on earth were you doing that for!' moments. Okay, passing can still be crazy, and the terrible input lag for different weight kicks is a problem that, though I have no idea how you could fix it, could really do with fixing. These games require you to know a good half second or more what you want to do so you can start charging the power meter to the right level and release the kick before the opponent gets you. There are also some inane management features. FIFA 9 was bad enough for having multiple football matches on the same day, but FIFA 10 has every player constantly knackered at the beginning of the match (okay, some exaggeration there!) but we don't want to manage every player every game - we just want to play football. The Assistant Coach option sounded good, but I can't say I've noticed it sensibly manage the team.

Still, gripes aside, it is a great game with a lot of the excitement of the real game. It's a must buy for any footy fan, regardless of what other football games they may have.

FIFA09, you couldn't really hit a shot from distance. The goalie either caught it because it was too soft or if you held down the power button, it would just sail way over the goal.

There was really no in between. Even free kicks from straight on, only a few yards outside the box. I could never figure out how to bend those shots either.

The created player is much better than NHL10 in FIFA10. The stats are much more simplified and the way you improve your stats is by completing accomplishments in the game. NHL10 has some serious problems with having too many stats, too many player types and too little knowledge of what anything actually does. FIFA10 seems much more streamlined. NHL10 just can't get the balance right, and FIFA10 seems to. Also, in FIFA10 if you adjust your height and weight it shows you how it affects your stats, whereas in NHL10 it affects your stats but you're left guessing how.

FIFA09, you couldn't really hit a shot from distance. The goalie either caught it because it was too soft or if you held down the power button, it would just sail way over the goal.

There was really no in between. Even free kicks from straight on, only a few yards outside the box. I could never figure out how to bend those shots either.

Im sorry but that just means you havent practiced hard enough. I got a friend who could lob the ball from anywhere on the opponents pitch and score on occasion.

My self i scored plenty of goals from long range, all you need is a player who shoots hard enough or who can curve the ball and figure out that most shots outside of the box should be at 2,5-3 bars of power. Obviously, player skill is involved here, if your player is bad at shooting etc hes not gonna produce a good shot unless you get very very very lucky. Some players however have insane skill and often shooting from longer ranges is beneficial, like kaka who from 16-20 metres running towards the centre from the side, can produce the most beatiful goals with R1 with curves you wouldn't believe.

Also, balance means a lot, if your not lined up right, your gonna have a bad shot. this is even more important in 10.

From freekicks, well closer than 35-40 yards its pretty easy. L1 and 3 bars aimed at the upper corner away from the goalie from long range, and R1 at 2-2,5 bars from closer, using left stick to spin the ball in the direction you want it to go (ofc, your player needs to be good enough to curve the ball).

All of this works in Fifa 10 aswell.

Also, since Fifa has very advanced ball physics now, if its technically possible in real life, you can probably pull it of in Fifa with some luck. Ive seen goals from all kinds of ranges that are just super lucky shots who hit the ball just right to score.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bars?

Maybe they don't have the same interface for online games. Or multiplayer online (team) games because I've never seen a bar on free or corner kicks or shots on goal.

Yeah I haven't figured out how to bend the ball either but online, I've never seen anyone bend it either.

Obviously people aren't doing it either in these online games. I'd sayd 99% of the goals are scored in the box. Sometimes, on a breakaway, the defender has the goalie come out early to try to tackle the offensive player before he gets into the box or gets a shot off. Then they chip the ball over him (L2 and square on the PS3). These shots are slow as hell but the goalie can't recover because they don't seem to have an animation to account for dealing with these chips.

Bottom left\right corner, says player name, sprint bar and when you shoot a green-to-orange-to-red line (divided in bars) show up. Same interface that is in 08,09,10?

Obviously people aren't doing it either in these online games. I'd sayd 99% of the goals are scored in the box.

Id say your only playing terrible skilled players because your own rank is probably low(no offence, just guessing). Everybody i play with knows how to bend the ball (R1 + left stick. Ofc your player has to have a good enough curve skill)..

And in most high level games, there is plenty of goals from 16-30 yards. In 09 from certain angles with C.Ronaldo, Kaka, etc you had a 90% chance to score. Simply to hard or to well placed shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back