FF13 Exclusivity still being discussed?

No, you don't - because you won't have any less money then before. That's the point here, can't you understand the difference?

Well he will have less money, buildings can depreciate without somekind of maintainance and he would likely have to pay taxes on the rental property. :) But that's probably different to the point you are trying to make.

As for FF it's sales has been on a steady decline in Japan. I am sure that trends will most likely continue, even if they put it on both PS3 and 360. The FF on GBA and DS pulls a large number, but those aren't as stellar compare to other Nintendo franchises on those two leadings platform in Japan. SE is doing a poor job on the FF brand management. We shall see how the rest of FFs DS perform. It would be odd if those outsold the main number series.

No, you don't - because you won't have any less money then before. That's the point here, can't you understand the difference?

He has less money than he would have had, had he collected the rent instead of waiving it. This is especially clear if the rent money previously went towards his mortgage. If he doesn't collect the $600 this month, he'll have to put $600 of his money into the mortgage payment.

Sony does have a mortgage of sorts, taking such a huge loss on each PS3...

Phat

Wow you are stubborn and wrong.

Studio A sells 1 million games, studio B sell 1 million.

MS charges the normal $10/game license fee to A and only $5/game to B.

A pays $10 million out of their bottom line, B pays $5 million. MS collects $15 million.

In essence, studio B was given $5 million by MS. (MS is $5m less rich and B is $5m richer).

Same with the rent, if I get $1000/m for my house and then suddenly let my brother live their rent free I am giving him $1000/m.

I'm expecting FF13 and FF14 to be PS3-exclusive. that said, I expect some FF games on X360, and not just another FF Online.

I think that would be a mistake by SE. If they are not going to bring FF14 or FF13 they should not bother with side projects. I don't think there are enough hardfore JRPG fans on the 360 to support scrap side projects of eastern developers. I have no doubt a numbered FF game would sell huge on the 360 in NA but I doubt any side story would sell well. I think a numbered FF could convert a lot of the 360 userbase into JRPG lovers were a side story could sell later in the platforms life.

That's gotta be the stupidest statement I've read on here in a long time.

No, it's merely sound economic theory. He'd be making $1000/m if he kicked his brother out and rented to a stranger whom he'd have no qualms collecting rent from. His house is a finite resource, you see. Just as Sony's disc fabs are.

Can we just drop that tangent, please? Some see the distinction; some don't. We're not gaining anything from rehashing.

Not at all. Opportunity Cost. Basic economics.

Taking less money and giving money away still doesn't earn = mark in between, which was the original point made by Todd.

Although FF13 probably is the title that could see most drastic measures from MS or Sony. FF7 was one of the main reasons PS1 beat Saturn and I think Sony remembers that. I don't think this title will be as important this time, but it's a big title nevertheless.

A pays $10 million out of their bottom line, B pays $5 million. MS collects $15 million.

In essence, studio B was given $5 million by MS. (MS is $5m less rich and B is $5m richer).

Same with the rent, if I get $1000/m for my house and then suddenly let my brother live their rent free I am giving him $1000/m.

The apartment analogy might not be the best though, or think of it as such that instead of having the apartment rented for a lower fee you might not have the apartment rented at all. Similarly for MS they might be just getting 5$ from SE but then again the alternative would be that they are not gettign FF at all and hence not even those 5$. So as you can see they don't loose money as they don't give money, the difference is that they don't get back as much as for other games they don't have a deal with and threfore it is different to them actually giving money in the way the gave money for developing the GPU,CPU and so on...

Ok, too many negatives in that sentence. ;)

Sony owns ~8% of the company - I hypothesized in the DMC4 thread that that likely would play a role in potentially halting a defection of this title, but at the same time I don't think it's enough in and of itself. The context I'm seeing in that snippet - and someone correct me or expand on it if I'm missing something - is that essentially FFXIII is still open for multiplatform release, has defaulted towards PS3 development until now, and Sony and Square-Enix are in talks to see whether the game will actually end up as exclusive or not.

No doubt the later would involve some sort of incentivizing on Sony's part.

Sony owns non-voting stock so they wouldn't have any say in exclusivity.

Well outside of the apartment analogy this would be a very large acquisition for MS particularly in a time where they are picking up many once exclusive titles. Having said that this is simply one title I dont see Sony letting go of, the concept and image of FF has been linked to the PS brand for too long (IMO).

I'm thinking FF13 will come to Xbox maybe six months late.

You cant ignore those huge sales available on 360, or at least it's difficult.
I lot might depend on how the JRPGs do. If ES and BD don't sell so well on XB360 (and FFXI too), SE might see there's no market for FF there, despite the sizeable install base.

Well outside of the apartment analogy this would be a very large acquisition for MS particularly in a time where they are picking up many once exclusive titles. Having said that this is simply one title I dont see Sony letting go of, the concept and image of FF has been linked to the PS brand for too long (IMO).

I agree completely. In fact I see the possible loss of exclusivity of this franchise as a blow the PS3 may never recover from. Much more serious than the potential loss of MGS4 IMO.

FF "franchise" as such is already not exclusive to Plyastation brand. Its on GBA , DS, PC even Xbox360 ( FFXI) . Now if PS3 did Loose FFXIII , it is going to be tough but not something unrecoverable, I am not sure about few internet forums though ;)

What is going to impact PS3 negatively would be the games that are multi console but lack crucial feature on PS3. One example is Virtua Tennis 3 , which has no online mode on PS3 and for that gamespot is recommending XBox360 version over PS3 version.

I think it's more a question of semantics. It has to do with the direction in which the money flows. If the money flows from Microsoft to Studio A, you can call it giving. On the other hand, if the stream of money from Studio A to Microsoft becomes smaller, it is forfeiting. Of course, the overall effect is the same.

I think we'll see what happens. Right now, I expect FF13 to be PS3 exclusive, but the FF13 Versus, which should be the spiritual successor to FFXI, should be an online game that will be released on PC, 360 and PS3 together. I think this one will be more important for them than you think, as I'm sure they smell a WoW like opportunity here.

I do believe that SquareEnix will need to hedge their bets though - if there aren't enough consoles sold by release time, they will go for the 360 market. But since they can, especially after FFXII, expect all PS3 owners in Japan to buy the game, as well as a very considerable percentage in Europe and US, I think they can stay doing an exclusive. No doubt that they will 'discuss' this with Sony though, to see if they can get some extra money from Sony for doing so. If they don't, then they might still go for a 360 release. But not on day one.

I think we'll know more by E3. In the meantime, discussion is pretty pointless.

I think we'll see what happens. Right now, I expect FF13 to be PS3 exclusive, but the FF13 Versus, which should be the spiritual successor to FFXI, should be an online game that will be released on PC, 360 and PS3 together. I think this one will be more important for them than you think, as I'm sure they smell a WoW like opportunity here.

Are you saying "should be" as in you would like it to be, or as in you think it is..?

Because not a single announcement or indication has been given that would lead you to believe that FFXIII Versus is any kind of "spiritual successor" to FFXI or that it would be an online game.. Form the information known so far it's pretty clear that the game shares much more incommon to Kingdom Hearts than any other title..

I don't understand how you came to such an obtuse conclusion..?

I do believe that SquareEnix will need to hedge their bets though - if there aren't enough consoles sold by release time, they will go for the 360 market. But since they can, especially after FFXII, expect all PS3 owners in Japan to buy the game, as well as a very considerable percentage in Europe and US, I think they can stay doing an exclusive. No doubt that they will 'discuss' this with Sony though, to see if they can get some extra money from Sony for doing so. If they don't, then they might still go for a 360 release. But not on day one.
I think we'll know more by E3. In the meantime, discussion is pretty pointless.

I personally don't think that FFXIII will ever find it's way to another platform.. Partly because SE have already made this clear eons ago (that the core FF games will stay exclusive to Playstation) but mostly because SE have a history of showing that they are not afraid of taking their time with a core FF game in terms of development..
It took almost 3-4 years for the release of FFXII after the release of FFXI (IIRC) and I highly doubt SE would release the game anytime before at least fall 2008.. By then SE would have a much larger install base (possibly 2-3 million in Japan?) and could sell comfortably..
Also considering FF titles have a tendency to see Europian release a good 12 months prior to the Japanese launch (I blame localisation.. F**kin' europians having so many bloody languages :devilish: ) with the US release somewhere in between, it gives even more time for the PS3 install base to have filled out quite nicely, which is especially useful for these regions where JRPGs don't tend to have as much appeal as in the east..
I think it would also be very safe to assume that at least one price cut would have occured by then and I think it's even safer to assume that the launch of a "system-seller" like FFXIII would definitely convince all those PS2 owners sitting on the fence and waiting for it to go out and buy the machine (I know I'd buy a PS3 for FFXIII & I'm sure alot of people would..)

I think alot of people here are underestimating how long it takes SE to develop these FF titles and if were talking 2-4 years for a PS2 FF game then how much more time do we expect a game like FFXIII to take cosidering the massively increased time required for asset development, sky-high production values, tech start-up (which seems to have been put in place now) and more importantly; QA, focus testing and polish.. Which for games of this size, I would imagine require a heck of alot of attention to get to the quality levels FF games are so accustomed to having..

Back