FF13 Exclusivity still being discussed?

22psi

Veteran
According to this French news site, dated today:

http://www.dna.fr/france/20070321_DNA006098.html

Vous pouvez compter sur des jeux forts, des exclusivités ? Et quid de Final Fantasy XIII ?

- Le coût de développement des jeux a explosé, il devient difficile d'avoir des exclusivités, hormis nos jeux propres. Mais nous aurons dès le lancement 30 jeux, dont Motorstorm, Resistance ou Virtua Fighter. En plus, nous attendons 200 jeux d'ici fin 2007. Enfin, pour Final Fantasy XIII, je peux vous dire que l'exclusivité est en discussion.

Babelfish translation:

The development cost of the plays exploded, it becomes difficult to have exclusivenesses, except our own plays. But we will have as of launching 30 plays, of which Motorstorm, Resistance or Virtua Fighter. Moreover, we await 200 plays from here the end of 2007. Lastly, for Final Fantasy XIII, I can say to you that exclusiveness is under discussion.

Ok, too many negatives in that sentence. ;)

Sony owns ~8% of the company - I hypothesized in the DMC4 thread that that likely would play a role in potentially halting a defection of this title, but at the same time I don't think it's enough in and of itself. The context I'm seeing in that snippet - and someone correct me or expand on it if I'm missing something - is that essentially FFXIII is still open for multiplatform release, has defaulted towards PS3 development until now, and Sony and Square-Enix are in talks to see whether the game will actually end up as exclusive or not.

No doubt the later would involve some sort of incentivizing on Sony's part.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think FF13 will remain a PS3 exclusive. It is FF14 and beyond I think will be either be ps3 and 360 or a WII exclusive. I think the sales in the next year will dictate that. If the Wii continues to outsell every one 3-4 to 1 world wide I could see SE moving to the Wii for all the big games. While the artists and producers would probably not be happy on the Wii i think the company would be thrilled with the lower costs. Also don't discount lots of SE games going to the DS if DQ9 does big numbers.

MS is probably throwing a lot of $$ around and Sony can't out bid them. I'd expect many 3rd party big games to be PS3/360/PC to recoup dev costs. Only first party and some 3rd party sell-outs will be exclusives.

While DMC4 and the like go to all next gen platforms, the already released ones like Lost Planet will also in time.

MS is probably throwing a lot of $$ around and Sony can't out bid them. I'd expect many 3rd party big games to be PS3/360/PC to recoup dev costs. Only first party and some 3rd party sell-outs will be exclusives.

While DMC4 and the like go to all next gen platforms, the already released ones like Lost Planet will also in time.

I am sure MS shelled out money for GTA but I doubt they are shelling out money for other games to stop them from being PS3 exclusives. I think the great software sales on the 360 platform is winning a lot of 3rd parties over. I am sure the brass at capcom saw the great sales of 2 new IPs on the 360 and that made them decide to bring DMC not MS money. I also would not bet on stuff like lost planet/dead rising being ported over. By the time it would be finished no one will care about the game as it will look pretty dated against 2nd gen ps3 games. If DMC sells well I could see dead rising 2 and lost planet 2 on the PS3 unless MS pays to make them exclusive.

I don't think people are giving enough credit to the millions of 360 owners who are addicted to buying games. It seems every month in the west especially NA the 360 has almost half of the top 10 selling games.

MS doesn't have to throw money around now. The current market conditions would make any publisher wary of releasing exclusives on the PS3 without compensation from Sony. When you own 70% of the market its easy to compensate to limit release to the other 30%. The current market has the PS3 with 11% of the market and 2 million console base. While those figures will be different at the release of FF13, the current condition gives SE far greater leverage then it had during the previous generation.

This is probably a situation where both SE and Sony are wary of entering into a exclusive agreement as SE is wary of limiting the profit potential of FF13 and feel the need to ask for greater compensation and Sony is wary of providing such a large compensation.

Neither publishers nor MS/Sony can just simply give money to developers. What they can do is to offer very low licence fees, or to invest money into the game's development at a very low interest rate, or design some other very good deal for the developer. But they just won't throw money out the window, shareholders won't allow it.

Of course there's the option to buy a studio altogether, but it's a very different case.

Neither publishers nor MS/Sony can just simply give money to developers. What they can do is to offer very low licence fees, or to invest money into the game's development at a very low interest rate, or design some other very good deal for the developer. But they just won't throw money out the window, shareholders won't allow it.

Of course there's the option to buy a studio altogether, but it's a very different case.

Lower license fees and marketing help = money. MS has deep pockets.

Lower license fees and marketing help = money. MS has deep pockets.

Just because a company has deep pockets doesn't mean every single project under them does. Even the X360 has a budget and they aren't going to throw more money into it then they think it is worth. Especially since doing such a thing would be seen as irresponsible and screw their stock and the confidence of shareholders. People seem to hear Microsoft and think money is no object for them. They didn't get where they are today by squandering loads of money on risks that won't necessarily give them a return on their investment. The X360 project does not have a blank check from Microsoft.

As far as FF13 exclusivity, I would have to hear a bit more than hearsay to make an intelligent decision. I doubt any development has even been started for the X360 at SE so even if it lost its exclusivity it would still be out on the PS3 for some time before it hit the X360.

1UP has an article about a rumor that came from this site. This doesn't seem to be the FXIII we are discussing, but some spinoff games.

http://www.gamersreports.com/news/2644/new-final-fantasy-game-coming-to-xbox360/

No, it's not the same, damnit.

If you rent a house from me and I waive the rent, am I not giving you money?

Lower license fees and paying for PR raises your profits (or lowers your losses). Sony and MS do the same thing, but lets call a spade a spade damnit. ;)

I'm thinking FF13 will come to Xbox maybe six months late.

You cant ignore those huge sales available on 360, or at least it's difficult.

I also think, you might see FF14 or 15 on 360, exclusive. I think so because, PS3 doesn't have the install base to sell as many as square wants, but FF depends on a lot of GFX so I dont think they want to go to Wii.

I think they'll do one exclusive on Wii after FF13, then maybe the next on 360.

I also think, you might see FF14 or 15 on 360, exclusive. I think so because, PS3 doesn't have the install base to sell as many as square wants, but FF depends on a lot of GFX so I dont think they want to go to Wii.
By the time FFXIV and FFXV i due the PS3 will have a huge installbase. Perhaps as large as the Xbox360.

FF is much stronger in Japan where MS has failed. To say the series goes exclusive to 360 makes no sense whatsoever.

If you rent a house from me and I waive the rent, am I not giving you money?

No, you don't - because you won't have any less money then before. That's the point here, can't you understand the difference?

Saying FF would go exclusive to any side besides Sony is completely ignoring why it might no longer be exclusive to Sony. While I strongly feel FF13 might not be exclusive, or at least might be the last FF to be exclusive, I certainly do not see it going exclusive to any side again. If there is not a clearly dominant (think PS2 dominant, 70% of market) console then more and more games will go multiplatform, its the only way you can make up your budget with such massive amounts spent on modern games.

Back