FF:CC not turn-based and supports 4 players...wooohooo!!

The big difference between FF1-6 and FF7-10 is the type of story portrayed(speaking of comparing FMV to sprite based and arguing evolution). Square used to stick to plot elements revolving around either saving the world or characters problems. Now they seem to want to make dating simulators with random battles thrown in ;)

Merry Christmas to all that celebrate :D

:LOL:

Romance sells. I can see you are not one for such mush Ben...

I prefer titles with romantic relations between characters as said relations often help to make the characters seem more real - a little bit more human. They often add to plot and character developement. If you want to see games that makes interesting use of character's relationship you ought to turn to Star Ocean or the Sakura Taisen series (which does happen to be a dating sim :LOL:).

I prefer titles with romantic relations between characters as said relations often help to make the characters seem more real - a little bit more human.

I agree, if only Square had writers that weren't eleven year old girls handling their scripts. ;)

Although there can be a fine line between romance and cheese, Square has a long way to go to hit mainstream really bad cheese. We've seen how well Square can make a story stand up on its own, abject failure is the only way to describe it. Bad writing revolving around action isn't that bad, romance and comedy are two areas in particular that handled poorly are simply painful; Square's are painful(that seems to be a theme with nearly all Japanese developers though, Konami I consider to be far worse then Square which is saying a lot).

Ozymandis said:
CaptainHowdy said:
I agree, a little FMV is great...too bad they used far from a little.. its gotten to be way too much..

You obviously haven't played Final Fantasy X. That game has very little FMV... mostly in-game cutscenes are used to further the plot.

I'd say that it has maybe 20 minutes of FMV.

my point, is that the game is like, 60% cutscene, too much... way too much.

To say that there aren't at least subtle differences between the 8/16-bit generation of Square RPG's and the 32/128-bit generation in gameplay is kind of stupid. What Square has done to RPG's with its PSX games is warp what an RPG is supposed to be in mainstream gamers' opinions. Now if a game has a storyline, mainstreamers seem to think it's an RPG.

For example, my brother's friends are convinced that Metal Gear Solid 2 is an RPG when it's not even close to it.

They say that they "love" RPG's, he tells me.. but somehow hate every one that my brother mentioned? (Final Fantasy, Chrono Cross, Dragon Warrior, Zelda, etc etc) Sure, you still have the basic RPG structure.. but story is taking over.

Blitzball/Sin's attack
Blitzball/Sin's attack/Anima
Rescue from wedding
Love scene
Ending

Sheesh, that list is seriously lacking

Lets see, *roughly remembering*

Simon's anima summon during the bliztball match
The flying dragon attacking the airship
Sin's appearance in the first 10 mins of the game where tidus gets sucks up
Sin's appearance on the beach attack
Sin after the beach attack
Sin's appearance for the last battle
The airship's escape of that al bhed town

etc. FFX has lots of both realtime cutscenes aswell as FMV, personally i didnt mind either, wether its fmv or real-time, who the fuck cares? Its telling a story, you cant play it either way, and i felt that there was plenty of action in FFX. One of my favorite FF.

About the FMVs, if i remember, wasnt there an auditorium at luca city (or whatever the name where there's the bliztball stadium) where you can see all the scenes IF you pay? I cant verify since i dont own FFX anymore, sold it :( Sorta starting to regret it now, its an amazing game.

Im anticipating FFCC with great hopes though, just because its Final fantasy adventure. A little story to peoples who keep saying that its secret of mana :) Its not the first time that square does this. Final fantasy adventure on the gameboy is actually the first seiken densetsu like it was named in japan, seiken densetsu = secret of mana, while secret of mana on the SNES was seiken densetsu 2 and seiken densetsu 3 was never released in the US (awesome game though if you can play the rom, its translated)

So basicly, FFCC being very very similar to secret of mana is not just by chance if you ask me.. In fact, i wouldnt be surprised if the project was originaly a secret of mana game, except maybe nintendo when funding the studio wanted the FF brand name cause it sells. So square most likely added the typical FF stuffs into the game like chocobos, caith siths, etc.

:)

Cyborg, most of those cutscenes you mentioned were pretty short. Hell, except for the intro, the love scene, and the ending, most of the cinematics in FFX were not long at all.

Cyborg said:
Ah ok, so lets dismiss these scenes as non existant ;)

Ah, but I mentioned that there were in fact other FMV scenes in my original post 8)

All I'm saying is that they were short. I'd estimate that the entire game had between 20 and 30 minutes of FMV. In a 50 hour game that's not excessive IMO.

Everyone that "thinks" that a FF has 60% of cutscenes is an idiot. Simply as that, and it´s not only a testament to their idiocy and ignorance, but to the stupidity of their way of thinking.
I´ve bought every single FMV available in FFX, and the total is not anymore than 40 minutes. There are close to 30 FMV sequences in the game, but aside moreorless 10, the rest are 5 to 10 seconds sequences. And my first time through I clocked in at 40 hours.
Yeah, definitely 60% of the game is FMV.:rolleyes:

Oh, and BTW, I´m definitely laughing at the pathetic people thinking that their SNES FFs (and they were only two :rolleyes: ) had so much gameplay and no story. What do you prefer? Badly written and a badly translated story with cartoony characters and SD sprites spitting and jumping, with a very basic combat system (FFVI)? Or a great translation, amazing 3D cutscenes with characters that are capable of showing emotion without resorting to petty jumping, all of that while enjoying the most dinamic combat system in a FF?. Yeah, though call, I know.

Logan Leonhart said:
Everyone that "thinks" that a FF has 60% of cutscenes is an idiot. Simply as that, and it´s not only a testament to their idiocy and ignorance, but to the stupidity of their way of thinking.
I´ve bought every single FMV available in FFX, and the total is not anymore than 40 minutes. There are close to 30 FMV sequences in the game, but aside moreorless 10, the rest are 5 to 10 seconds sequences. And my first time through I clocked in at 40 hours.
Yeah, definitely 60% of the game is FMV.:rolleyes:

Oh, and BTW, I´m definitely laughing at the pathetic people thinking that their SNES FFs (and they were only two :rolleyes: ) had so much gameplay and no story. What do you prefer? Badly written and a badly translated story with cartoony characters and SD sprites spitting and jumping, with a very basic combat system (FFVI)? Or a great translation, amazing 3D cutscenes with characters that are capable of showing emotion without resorting to petty jumping, all of that while enjoying the most dinamic combat system in a FF?. Yeah, though call, I know.

Uhm, as Ozy said, most of the cutscenes were realtime, I was meaning cutscenes total when I said FMV, then I altered the term to Cutscenes, FFX is darn near 50-60% cutscene..

In any case, that is a dumb prerogative too. I was maxing out my characters, getting the ultimate weapons, getting all of the aeons, capturing monsters, and my file clocked in at around 130 hours...and I wasn´t done yet.
The game has loads of gameplay, much more so than cutscenes and FMV. It´s only another petty excuse for cubies or anyone that dislikes Square to diss the PSX/PS2 FFs.

Logan Leonhart said:
In any case, that is a dumb prerogative too. I was maxing out my characters, getting the ultimate weapons, getting all of the aeons, capturing monsters, and my file clocked in at around 130 hours...and I wasn´t done yet.
The game has loads of gameplay, much more so than cutscenes and FMV. It´s only another petty excuse for cubies or anyone that dislikes Square to diss the PSX/PS2 FFs.

I dont think platform preference has anything to do with being sick of long drug out cutscenes, Golden Sun on GBA drove me nuts, and it doesnt have 1/5th the amount of drug out drivel FFX has.

Pfft, you keep talking about a continuous attack of long cutscenes (that I presume would clock in at abour 30 minutes). The big hole in your argument, is that there aren´t any in FFX, only at the beginning and the ending (thankfully).
The way your point stands, is that you´re just looking for an excuse (no matter how petty it might be) to hate FF since you have a clear disliking for PS2 and Square, and are much in love with GCN - and that is something you cannot deny.
It´s all too predictable, really. By downplaying in your mind (and the mind of fanboys) the virtues of FFX and greatly exagerating their flaws, or outright creating flaws that never exist, your exclusive GCN game automatically becomes the best version. A convenient way of thinking, and close minded too.

And my first time through I clocked in at 40 hours.

Thats quite good, i put 70' ish hours in my first run, i could of finished it long ago but i wanted all the aeons, my character's hp and attack maxed, etc.

In the end, the final boss was a pushover, with anima doing 99 999 damage....YEEEHOOOO

I can't believe Square brought bag the Magnus Sisters from FF IV (Tower of Babel)... ,that made me giggle like a school girl!

Again, to reiterate, I dont think anything has changed from the SNES FFs to the PSX/PS2 FFs, except presentation and platform. If there are any story changes, you can thank Nintendos big-black-marker for that.

I should have been more specific, I should have said movies/cutscene(instead FMV) that are composed of FMV/real-time, those cutscenes are at least 4 hours totaled long and I am not kidding. I stopped play the game because I am disgusted at the amount of cutscene that was in the game. The DVD "Final Fantasy: Another Story" has all the compilation of cutscenes and FMV in it..... all totaling at least 4 hours.

FFX: Another Story is something different. It is a video which is basically an epilogue to FFX and an introduction to the story in FFX-2.

No, I already told you, it's a compilation of all the FMV/Cutscene from FFX. There is NO FFX-2 in it, because when it came out FFX-2 wasn't even known at the time. It's a HK DVDs(illegal). Try looking for it on Ebay. My brother bought it on Ebay.

Edit: I just found out that there is two version of Final Fantasy X: Another Story, one is released along with the international FFX which includes what you describe... The second is is released earlier than that, it is basically release by some HK group, it contains all the cutscenes/FMV from FFX.

Edit 2: They change the name of the DVD..... When I get my digi camera back, I will probably take a pic of the cover of FFX: AS I have and post it here. Here's a link to the DVD I am talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2290&item=3301286580

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2290&item=3301016437

I think, in short, FF:CC and FF (number) can't be compared at all, since they are obviously very, very, very different games. It'd be like comparing XenoSaga to Zelda or something.

Its too bad that Square/Nintnedo slapped 'Final Fantasy' on it.. but in the end, marketing rules.

Logan Leonhart said:

There were three SNES FF's, and they were effectively the same as the "modern" FF's.

The only difference is that FF8's design team spend 99% of their time on the graphics, 1% on the music, and wrote off the story and skill system altogether. :rolleyes:

Back