Few Pictures 2: Everyone Interested Though...

Nappe1

lp0 On Fire!
Veteran
G12.jpg

G12

G40orG34.jpg

G34 or G40

G40.jpg

G40

NewDemoG40.jpg

New Demo running on G40

PartyHall1.jpg

Assembly 2006 Main Party Hall (1)

PartyHall2.jpg

Assembly 2006 Main Party Hall (2)

When we will see a real product device running G40?
- That's gonna happen sooner than most of the ppl can imagine.

[size=-2]...and if someone didn't get the topic, it's sort of inside joke about the prievous my thread that got slashdotted here in August 2002. Back then it was about Bitboys, that no one did care sh!t about, but of course when they are ATI now, the three small letters has changed to situation completely. Link to older thread: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332&highlight=Few+pictures [/size]

Last edited:
Back then it was about Bitboys, that no one did care sh!t about, but of course when they are ATI now, the three small letters has changed to situation completely.

i'm affraid those three small letters are not A, T and I, though ; )

How will G40 and the next Imageon be differentiated: staggered releases and/or different market targets -- SoC integration covered by G40 while discrete chips covered by Imageon?

How will G40 and the next Imageon be differentiated: staggered releases and/or different market targets -- SoC integration covered by G40 while discrete chips covered by Imageon?

this is just what I have heard, so not official statement from either side of the atlantic:
- G40 will be the lower end and next imageon will be the higher end. Of course, there is this little 2 year difference in release times too, which should make this pretty much clear without more thinking. (I would imagine that BB did have something on pipeline as well before ATI bought the company. But I don't know if the owner change would radically shift their roadmap in some direction. Most likely something was done to get better efficy out of the design teams.)

The pics which you state that the demos are running on G30/40 state G12 ?

They are G12 FPGA boards that were made in somewhat larger number for seeding to developers.

I'm confused now; are you meaning to say that those are G12 boards with G40 chips or more simply that those are actually G12 chips?

If it's the second case I truly wonder how a G12 can actually render a demo like Atlantis or I'm missing some details here.

I'm confused now; are you meaning to say that those are G12 boards with G40 chips or more simply that those are actually G12 chips?

If it's the second case I truly wonder how a G12 can actually render a demo like Atlantis or I'm missing some details here.

as far as I know, G12, G34 and G40 are cores. There isn't really such thing as G12 chip or G40 chip. What you are seing is FPGA platforms, that can have G12, G34 or G40 logic inside for demostration purposes. Also, you could interpret jPaana's words so that basically originally for G12 designed FPGA platform can be also used for demonstrating G40 logic. Only thing (of course) you need to do is reprogram the FPGA to correspond G40 logic.

of course I just could brainfarting here, so take it as grain of a salt.

as far as I know, G12, G34 and G40 are cores. There isn't really such thing as G12 chip or G40 chip. What you are seing is FPGA platforms, that can have G12, G34 or G40 logic inside for demostration purposes. Also, you could interpret jPaana's words so that basically originally for G12 designed FPGA platform can be also used for demonstrating G40 logic. Only thing (of course) you need to do is reprogram the FPGA to correspond G40 logic.

of course I just could brainfarting here, so take it as grain of a salt.

Yes, being IP core there is no such thing as a G12 chip. The board has FPGA chip under the display (they have been designed so that a few different sized FPGAs can be used with the same board design), which is programmed with the USB cable (the other being power) on boot, be it G12, G34, G40 or what ever that fits to the chip on the board.

Back