Far Cry water

crusher_pt

Newcomer
Err... i have a question about the subject of the thread.

When you set the water quality of the game to Ultra High, it uses PS2.0? Or only the PS2.0 are used in the specular/lighting stuff of the game?

Thanks

crusher_pt said:
Err... i have a question about the subject of the thread.

When you set the water quality of the game to Ultra High, it uses PS2.0? Or only the PS2.0 are used in the specular/lighting stuff of the game?

Thanks
Water doesn't use PS 2.0

the general use of ps 2.0 in farcry depends on the lighting quality setting in advanced video options menue afaik.

you can check the log file in farcry root directory for ps 2.0 usage.

Murakami said:
Even at highest quality settings, FarCry doesn't use PS 2.0 for the water.
Check this: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_nvidia/

That was pretty interesting. I thought that Far Cry would have a lot better visuals on a DX9 card. Hmm, i guess it shows that Far Cry in it's current state is'nt a good measurement for DX9 performance. Though that will likely change with the patch/addon.

Half Life 2 will be of course be very interesting. Even more if it includes HDR rendering using FP blending on the NV4X.

I thought Valve has said it uses HDR with integer formats on NV3x, so NV4x's FP blending might not even be needed (ignoring the performance hit and focusing solely on simply employing HDR).

Pete said:
I thought Valve has said it uses HDR with integer formats on NV3x, so NV4x's FP blending might not even be needed (ignoring the performance hit and focusing solely on simply employing HDR).

AFAIK, FP blending should be faster then using integer formats since the integer version uses lots of shader passes.

I vaguely recall them mentioning something about "performance issues" when HDR is used.

And the Source engine does have support for HDR, but it won't be used in HL 2. Perhaps it could be added in a patch later on.

edit: Now that I've read tEd's link... that explains it all right there.

Bjorn said:
AFAIK, FP blending should be faster then using integer formats since the integer version uses lots of shader passes.
AFAIK, Dave mentioned that he asked nV about FP blending speed penalties, and Mr. Kirk or another engy hinted at half-speed performance. I wonder if int's multiple passes outweigh FP blending's halved theoretical performance (and probably greater memory usage?).

When the water is set to ultra high the water reflects every single object in the scene. When it is set very High it only reflects Things directly on or next to the water. Set it to Ultra high and drive arounnd in a boat. Its freaking crazy. Sky mountains every little detail reflected perfectly.

Simply awesome.

Pete said:
AFAIK, Dave mentioned that he asked nV about FP blending speed penalties, and Mr. Kirk or another engy hinted at half-speed performance. I wonder if int's multiple passes outweigh FP blending's halved theoretical performance (and probably greater memory usage?).

You'll get half the memory bandwidth but then it's a question if that will lead to half the performance in shader intensive games. Some knowledgeable people on this forums didn't think it would come anywhere near that. But it will be really interesting to see what happens assuming that Valve add's support for the FP blending version also.

Gabe Newell said:
Whether HDR makes it in or not hasn't yet been decided. It's a feature that mainly the really high-end cards can use well

I thought that the Radeon 9700 would have no problems using HDR. And that's more of a mid end card these days.

Hellbinder said:
When the water is set to ultra high the water reflects every single object in the scene. When it is set very High it only reflects Things directly on or next to the water. Set it to Ultra high and drive arounnd in a boat. Its freaking crazy. Sky mountains every little detail reflected perfectly.

Simply awesome.

uhm, these aren't reflections really.. we should do a bitwise comparison:D

no, really, it isn't that much work. it halfs the speed overall at MAX because its just one reflections. there are more complex things... (but it does look nice:D)

Well thanks for the posts. :)

Another question... what´s the command for demo recording? I tried to find over there, but none. I remember to see in some place, but no luck...

Back