Far Cry 2 vs Far Cry 5 shameful physics, a lone exception or the trend this generation?

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by DavidGraham, Apr 8, 2018.

1. HBRU

Regular Newcomer

ah yes, marketing :D ...
    but in that case it was ok I think

2. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Yeah Goat Simulator comes to mind, that did have quite a high popularity.
    I think this is also exacerbated in modern games that are designed to be greater multiplayer interactive than before and designing the physics into the game engine in a way that maintains synchronisation between players/their consoles; more complex the physics/environment-objects trickier it becomes.
    If I remember Goat Simulator mentioned this challenge for their sandbox when looking to make it multiplayer.

And it is fair to say the pressure from publishers on studios-devs means allocating resources result in design choice limitations-scope needing to be made, and higher interactive multiplayer game with complex environment physics is far from trivial on consoles or even PC.

3. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

]

Just like I've thought: Crysis was the competition.

Some of your aspects are in it as well.

#43 Jupiter, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  4. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

As everyone else is saying, FC2 --> FC3/4/5 and GTAIV --> GTAV was all about refinement. Not only was it a gameplay thing, but allowed the devs to put processing power towards more meaningful things depending on your point of view. GTAV I think is a great example, as it's a much better playing and running game than it's predecessor. To this day, the PC version of GTAIV is still a god awful unoptimized mess. I'm actually in the opposite camp for Far Cry, as I greatly enjoy and find more meaning in Far Cry 2 than Far Cry 3 (I haven't played any other FC since). FC3 wasn't about achieving that "gritty realism". Far Cry 2 forced players to fight through dirty outposts full of rusted physicalized objects that enemies could hide behind and shoot through, and hence needed to be physicalized. FC3's AI also felt more predictable and simplified, and generally put itself out in the open because they were out to get you like the crazies they were.

#44 Mobius1aic, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    CSI PC and milk like this.
  5. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Digital Foundry done a nice video with much of it relevant to what posters have said:

Also threw in Crysis into the mix as they felt it was one of the games to push a certain direction in terms of engine/game direction at the time and so others were marketing/competing with that focus; still looks pretty good even now considering what it implemented.

6. OCASM

Regular Newcomer

7. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

I said this in the DF thread, but this video is unsubstantial for the most part. It doesnt say anything to put FC5 in a better light than FC2 and the arguments are quite mundane, imho.