Far Cry 2 vs Far Cry 5 shameful physics, a lone exception or the trend this generation?

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by DavidGraham, Apr 8, 2018.

1. DavidGraham

Veteran

Someone posted a video comparing FC2 physics with FC5 physics, results are shocking, FC2 was released 10 years ago and still looks leaps and bounds better than FC5. It's like the roles are reversed!

FC2 enjoys massively better foliage physics, destruction and object manipulation are far superior, car physics and car deformation are massively ahead, advanced rag dolls and advanced cloud simulation are present in FC2 and are better in every way. Even water and rain simulation is better as well. It's like FC5 is a PS3 game and FC2 is the PS4 one! Not to mention AI is smarter in FC2 as well.

I really feel like this isn't just a random thing, this whole generation exhibited major step backs in the physics department. It's utterly disappointing.

Cyan and OCASM like this.
  2. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

More realism also affects gameplay. Sometimes, it's simply a design choice.

But i agree, if we only consider physics, it's a massive downgrade.

However, some realistic things in FC2 are simply boring from a gameplay perspective.

#2 Recop, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  3. zed

zed
    Veteran

they're not labled which is which

the first scene, player outlined in red behind a corrugated iron fence
    vs the other

not sure whats more realistic? I assume bullets from a rifle would go through the fence (gfx in the first look better but more cartoony)

'realism' in physics is often prolly not desirable, remember that jurassic park game from the 90s.

4. phoenix_chipset

Regular Newcomer

Yeah, Far cry 2 is more impressive.

snarfbot and Cyan like this.
  5. Theeoo

Newcomer

Far Cry is not the only sequel to get dumbed down physics.

snarfbot, Cyan, OCASM and 1 other person like this.
  6. Niebotskick

Newcomer

It's not something that started this generation, but in fact began during last-gen.

#6 Niebotskick, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    snarfbot, Cyan and OCASM like this.
  7. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I had no idea. I am very disappointed. This is probably why this generation doesnt feel much improved.

Cyan and DavidGraham like this.
  8. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Somewhat weak CPUs... What can we expect? I miss the extravaganza of the CELL days... :-D

snarfbot, DavidGraham and HBRU like this.
  9. Theeoo

Newcomer

Are you saying Cell/Xenon is better than Jaguar?

10. eloyc

Veteran Regular

No, I'm just saying that I miss the days when console developers were more worried to innovate and create a piece of hardware to brag about, no matter how bizarre or unconventional the results were.

Tkumpathenurpahl likes this.
  11. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Looks to me like different design choices and priorities. It is unfortunate to see how much better the animation looked back then, as well as the thought put into how fire affects trees etc. Could it be done today? Technically, of course. But that's what we're getting, different developers, different choices, .

AlBran likes this.
  12. eloyc

Veteran Regular

^That too, but can't we agree on this being a global tendency? If that is the case, why? CPU power hasn't kept up with the power increase in other aspects, such as GPU, RAM, etc., IMO.

13. HBRU

Regular Newcomer

milk and eloyc like this.
  14. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Honestly, I don't think it's a CPU limitation, not exclusively anyway. For better or worse, today's console CPU are much more powerful than on older consoles, even as rubbish as they are.

It's a design choice, and perhaps budgetary too. There are games today with incredible animation and physics, others without. With what it costs to produce a (big) game today, I'm not surprised that 'corner cutting' is more pronounced today.

And furthermore, these differences are even more evident today, as a game that looks really good such as FC5 (IQ being the main priority today) would be accompanied by physics and animation that are not on the same level of polish. It looks even weirder.

snarfbot, Recop, HBRU and 1 other person like this.
  15. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

How hard is it to show exact physics behavior between two players playing together on different consoles/PCs online ?
    Maybe it's toned down so each player sees the same things, and complex physics would not be identically reproduced for each player ?
    There are already things that happen differently when playing with my friend, like yesterday, he blew up a truck, on my screen i saw the truck sliding backwards on the ground some ten meters away, then reapearing where it was supposed to be, but on my friend's screen it never moved.

16. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

But FarCry 2 isn't fun.

Silent_Buddha and swaaye like this.
  17. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

This video is biased because many things are better in GTA5 and those things aren't showed in the video :

Ike Turner and eloyc like this.
  18. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

For reasons very little to do with the comparison focus.

Cyan and DavidGraham like this.
  19. DavidGraham

Veteran

Most of the differences are creative or gameplay differences, there are some things GTA 4 definitely does better, and others GTA 5 definitely does better. All in all the situation is not the same as Far Cry 2 vs Far Cry 5 or Dead Rising 1 vs Dead Rising 4, those games have glaring and shocking differences in the underlying fundemebtal physics simulation itself.

20. DavidGraham

Veteran

Of course not, that Core i5 is pushing far more fps than the Jaguars, that's why it's utilization is being pushed to the max. The jaguars are only pushing 30fps, the i5 is pushing 90fps on the RX 480. Generally the i5 is serveral orders of magnitude faster than the Jaguars.

I am starting to think it's truly the Jaguars that are holding things back, current games do a lot of GPU Compute to compensate for their lackluster performance, and several developers spoke to Digital Foundry stating that simulation complexity had to be scaled back because of the Jaguars.

Goodtwin and eloyc like this.