Fan Controllers which can Read CPU and GPU Temps?

sir doris

Regular
I've just upgraded my fans (non PWM) on my radiators and they are a little loud for my tastes, so I'm going to get a fan controller. However looking at most of the normally priced items, they all seem to come with heat probes which you stick in you chassis near the main components.

Are there any fan controllers (USB/ PCI/e?) which have companion software which can read CPU and GPU temps as CoreTemp and Afterburner do, and adjust fan speeds accordingly?

Motherboard fan headers can do what you want. ASUS for example has some pretty elaborate software to do this, and at least with its RoG series of motherboards it generally works pretty well even with standard three-pin fans. It runs through a calibration cycle, forming a baseline for when the fan won't start, then creates a load curve depending on desired noise versus temperature levels.

Not sure what third-party tools are available these days, but something should fit your bill I'd think! Standalone fan controllers seem rather overkill IMO considering many mobos already come with a bunch of headers, and controllers that connect to mobos for monitoring/fan adjustment and such suffer from poor support as time passes (become obsolete with new versions of windows, proprietary connector won't work with different brands of mobo, new generations of product etc.)

Thanks for the reply, I've actually got an Asus mobo and fanxpert2 works really well. It's just that my watercooled setup has push pull fans on both radiators so I don't have anywhere near enough headers. If I was using PWM fans I could use PWM splitters and run fans off the psu (Molex or SATA Power) and controlled by a mobo fan header.

Not sure if there are some funky splitters out there which would allow the mobo fan headder to control the voltage of one fan and replicate that voltage for the other fans on the splitter?

@sir doris Do you really need push-pull tho? Seems to me, it generally does little more than generate additional noise... :)

Y-splitters might work, I mean, it's worth a try isn't it? Heh. Unless you have some seriously heavy-duty fans, running two off of one mobo header shouldn't be a problem; 50W hairdryer fans are a thing of the past these days thankfully! ;)

Asus Sabertooth series is what you want? Mine has 5-6 fan headers, controlled through voltage. Further, you get about 6-8 motherboard temp sensors. You can define rules for fans (headers are grouped in some manner), saying which temp sensor should they consider and how much should each group turn up. And the sw is pretty user friendly.

Back