Fair Use

With the ammount of songs that can fit on today's MP3 players people will soon be trying to buy music insurance for their players or ipods . imagine losing several hundred songs via a hd crash or flash memory failure and having to buy them all over because the RIAA did not allow you a backup . This could be a new one for the insurance agents ................... insuring mp3 players and their content :)

I wonder if copyright is a bit of an archaic term to be used in modern times.

It indicates that owners of a copyright have power over an individual's means of copying, something that is almost always the property of the consumer.

Considering how machines often make copies as a matter of operation, I'm waiting for the RIAA to outlaw swap files and RAM that isn't DRM-imbued.

I've always imagined a more appropriate term would center around the control of ownership propogation.

Propogation rights would indicate that a producer can't say what a user can do with owned property, while at the same time a user can't just go around and provide others with ownership of the product.

In other words, a person can make a bazillion copies of a song, so long as he doesn't go and give a single one to anybody else.

I would have laughed at something like this for the EU market a few months ago. But sadly, due to massive sponsored events and other such stuff that is not outright bribery, they seem to be winning. Laws are changed behind our backs.

Then again, I'm very sure the EU government won't stand for something as blalant as they did this time, the lawsuits against MS being a case in point.

But, I'm not buying music CD's anymore just in case. They only spend the money on buying more laws, not on making better music. They couldn't care less about that.

No I haven't, but just erlier I downloaded iTunes and saw that copying functionality is built right into the software and advertised prominently on their site even though you claimed it was illegal. I don't understand your intent in linking those articles either; are you just suggesting that based on what is mentioned there you assume that what you claimed was illegal actually will be?

kyleb said:
No I haven't, but just erlier I downloaded iTunes and saw that copying functionality is built right into the software and advertised prominently on their site even though you claimed it was illegal. I don't understand your intent in linking those articles either; are you just suggesting that based on what is mentioned there you assume that what you claimed was illegal actually will be?

If the RIAA get their way. They are currently lobbying for changes in the DCMA to make it so, and pressuring Apple to change Itunes. Fair use is being erroded, both legally and technically.

Somewhat related... I read, in relation to some other legal snafu, that in the US the jury can base their verdict on "how fair they consider a law", and based on that give a verdict of innocence(this was with regards to someone not paying the income tax as it was considered unfair and got away with it in court, though I'm not sure about the validity of this claim given the dubious source.).

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh, as long as I keep getting my vinyl records I'll be happy. FLAC and SHN file formats are quite lovely.

The RIAA is taking things a bit too far these days. It's sad to see these companies be so greedy but still pay artists so little.

Back