F.E.A.R. review (360) IGN

Tap In

Legend
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/741/741860p1.html

8.6 Presentation
A great port from the PC to 360. The lack of true controller customization options and certain multiplayer modes are questionable omissions.
9.1 Graphics
Outside of repetitive environments, F.E.A.R looks phenomenal.
9.3 Sound
The creepy sound effects add volumes to the atmosphere.
9.0 Gameplay
Excellent AI provides powerful combat sequences. Oh, and the game is very scary.
8.2 Lasting Appeal
Having played the game several times already, it still was fun and Instant Action is great. The lack of online post-game lobbies may cause some to give up playing multiplayer.

9.1 Outstanding OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

fear-20061025044215168.jpg

should be. I hear they turned Soft shadows off for HDR though I think this is the same for PS3 version to. But im not to sure- Looks great though FEAR was a freaky game

should be. I hear they turned Soft shadows off for HDR though I think this is the same for PS3 version to. But im not to sure- Looks great though FEAR was a freaky game

That'd be good if they did. At least on the PC version the soft shadows of FEAR were not exactly soft or any good. It was basically two shadows, one dark and one light and both being very jagged. I'd take HDR over them any day. FEAR is a great game and if the controlls were done well then all the power to you console guys getting to enjoy it.

On the PC it is soft shadows or AA, the two were incompatible with each-other, and there is no HDR? Did they add HDR to the 360 version or was that just a misunderstanding? Regardless, I just played though it again with everything cranked on my new PC, it's a damn cool game and I'm curious to see how well they got it running on the 360. Is there any news of a demo?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe they did add HDR for the 360 version prob PS3 version as well. I am happy the AI is good though!

I don't see anything HDR or different in the lighting from the PC version in any of the screenshots.

Is there any news of a demo?

There has been a demo on the marketplace for quite some time already. It might not be very recent build though. I remember hearing that they did add HDR for the game, and I even vaguely remember seing a video where it was demonstrated.

Yeah i think they did add HDR to the 360 version and on ign i thikn it said the PS3 version was identical to the 360 version and not the PC one.

On the PC it is soft shadows or AA, the two were incompatible with each-other, and there is no HDR? Did they add HDR to the 360 version or was that just a misunderstanding? Regardless, I just played though it again with everything cranked on my new PC, it's a damn cool game and I'm curious to see how well they got it running on the 360. Is there any news of a demo?

Actually you can enable soft shadows and AA on the PC version by using a tiresome trick. You start the game, then load a level, choose 4xAA and go back, then go to the menu again, disable AA and go back. As a final step go back to settings menu and choose soft shadows and go back and then back AGAIN to menu and choose 4xAA... MAGIC!

I get a 5-10fps penalty for having AA and SS and they may sometimes look less soft shadowed than without AA but STILL good!:devilish:

I don't see anything HDR or different in the lighting from the PC version in any of the screenshots.

You can almost simulate the same "HDR" lightning on PC by balancing the gamma and brigthness settings. I have done it and it looks almost exactly the same as the xbox360 version!

Always wanted to play this game but my PC would just weep at the thought so i passed... Guess i'll play it on PS4, via PS3 backward compatibility.

Always wanted to play this game but my PC would just weep at the thought so i passed... Guess i'll play it on PS4, via PS3 backward compatibility.

You must be getting a thrill by this self-imposing restriction. By the time you play, you'll blow a load just from the cliche intro. :)

FEAR was a good game overall. It was the game I expected Doom 3 to be.

The PC version had some hilarious animations. I snuck up behind a security guard and shot him in the ass. He grabbed his butt cheeks with both hands, dropped to his knees, and screamed. Man, that still makes me laugh.

If this game is anything like the PC version, it will be successful.

Yeah, me too. Same demo as the PC version so nothing exciting there, but seems to be a solid port. Some of the effects are toned down a bit and the texture resolution took a pretty big hit, of course the latter was predictable considering the 360 only has 512MB of RAM to go around and PC version has massive textures. However, the added HDR does look nice and while subtle it is certainly a plus, and the whole demo ran butter smooth for me which is far more than I can say for many PC -> 360 ports. If it wasn't the crappy online design, I'd likely consider picking this up and convincing my friends to do the same.

Yeah, me too. Same demo as the PC version so nothing exciting there, but seems to be a solid port. Some of the effects are toned down a bit and the texture resolution took a pretty big hit, of course the latter was predictable considering the 360 only has 512MB of RAM to go around and PC version has massive textures. However, the added HDR does look nice and while subtle it is certainly a plus, and the whole demo ran butter smooth for me which is far more than I can say for many PC -> 360 ports. If it wasn't the crappy online design, I'd likely consider picking this up and convincing my friends to do the same.
Is it running at 60fps?

9.1 definitely seems a tad high if it's more or less the same as the PC version.

Is this one of those exclusive review situations where they are inevitably inflated? I haven't seen any other reviews of it.

Should be a decent fps to pick up if you haven't played the PC version though! Sounds like it's a rather good port too.

Back