Eurovision song contest

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
Did anyone else watch this tonight? Comments? Which songs did you like?

As always, if there's one thing that's ever constant in this ever changing world it's that the wrong song always wins in Eurovision song contest. Ugh, the three at the top all belong at the end of the list IMO. Had that been the case, I'd mostly agree with the end results. I hoped for Austria, Germany and Norway myself. UK at zero points, though my sympathy for them, but it was fair. The female singer obviously was singing in another key than everyone else.

I only saw the finish and the first part of the song from t.a.t.u. but their singing wasn't impressive at all.

I'd vote for this one:

Alf Poier (Austria)

My song is a hymn for individualism and against collectivism. I am also for balls and against circles, for corners and against edges, for trees and against the forest. In my performance it is not so much the song that counts but the moral attitude behind it. Whoever votes for me is against being standardized and cemented in by 'European Banality'.

fbg1 said:
I'd vote for this one:

Alf Poier (Austria)

thanks ;)

Honestly i didnt watch it (just not my music) but i'm happy that Alf Poir (who noone here in Austria took seriously) got much more points than the "serious" Competition we sent there before.

amk said:
So you guys actually take Eurovision seriously :?: :!:

Getting defensive ;)
Seriously ... well, not everything is my music style, but there tend to be a few keepers every time. Austria, Germany and Norway definitely had songs worthy of spinning in my CD player.

I think the last time the uk took eurovision seriously was, well actually did we ever? :) You only need to hear the presenter of the uk program each year to realise that :LOL:

Still, that said, we normally manage to produce something better than we did this time, I didn't actually hear the song myself as I didn't watch a great deal of the program. Seeing the picture of our entry in the paper was bad enough and as for what they [jemini] said when asked about the name:

jemma said:
Chris thought of it - the twins in the zodiac, Jem and I. Very clever!
chris said:
I'm quite a little brainbox when I put my head to it!

Oh dear...... :LOL: :|

Hey Belgium should have won 8)

Hmm I guess I am biased since I was born there... foolishly Belgium gave 12 points to Turkey and only got 7 in return from them o_O

Anyway generally songs are pretty poor and the voting is geographically and politically tinted.

K-

Humus said:
Did anyone else watch this tonight?

Yes I did - for the first time in my life I watched the whole show! :eek:
A bunch of folk gathered at a friend of mine who is endowed with a nice projector. Three of us actually voted!

It was unanimous Austria votes. We figured that if that song won, there would still be hope for humanity. :D

The UK entry was impressive. I don't know anybody that can sing a song in a totally different key to the backing track for that long. Really takes some talent. :LOL:

MuFu.

MuFu said:
The UK entry was impressive. I don't know anybody that can sing a song in a totally different key to the backing track for that long. Really takes some talent. :LOL:
:LOL: True! I also watched the show, and must say that I was unimpressed by the performers! I also think that the voting system is highly "biased" as it is way too political. We vote for you, if you vote for us - mentality.

Next year the Eurovision will be a 2 day thing. I wonder how it will work out.. I hope Finland won't participte and make us look dumb. Again. ;)

I was out dancing and forgot to switch the TV on when I returned, so I didn't see the winning song. Pity.

This was the first time I didn't have to curl up in some corner with shame when it was time for our entry. The lyrics of Alf Poier's song are just great, but they would be really hard to translate without losing the spirit ;). I voted for the russians just because they managed to piss off everyone - the reaction of the audience when they got points was pretty amusing.

On a totally different note: Werner Schlager won the men's title at the world table tennis championship as the first European since 1997. Go Austria! (Just had to mention this because table tennis is the only sport I actually care for and play regularly)

Kristof said:
Hey Belgium should have won 8)
K-
Never mind, at least Terry Wogan, the UK presenter, is pleased ... he's looking forward to going somewhere sunny next year :)

Back